What impresses me about this team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by SavageGator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    may be different than what others look for. As a group there seems to be genuine closeness that makes for real team play. Maturity that allows it to stay focused and on purpose. Poise and confidence which enable it win close games. Incredible hustle on defense making the opponents turn the ball over. Hunger, aggressiveness and not backing down to any team regardless of high ranking. Evidence of this is that we have suffered no bad losses and have won many games even when shorthanded.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    BD does it the right way. What a great group. I don't worry at all about the end because the journey of this season is so satisfying.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I fully agree. All the players appear to like each other quite a bit, which enhances community, which tends to substantially enhance competitive performance. I really think the reason Patric Young has returned since his Sophomore year is his very strong bond with Will Yeguete, those guys are almost inseparable, and you can see that all the seniors have established a strong sense of cohesiveness.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I believe that the environment that Billy has created really appeals to most of those he has brought to UF. Patric really enjoys being at UF and we've seen numerous examples, such as the 04's who just loved the program and didn't want to leave even when they could have done so.

I felt bad for Beal when he went pro, because you could just see that he really didn't want to leave. He really liked it, but his draft projection was too high to take a chance on something happening.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    We have 4 seniors who play hellacious defense to put it mildly. That might be what we miss most about these guys next season.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Maybe.....part of what is being created at UF is a "culture"

it will be up to the hold-overs on next years squad to keep that culture alive.....but we've been seeing this development towards defensive integrity develop over the past 3 years. I for one hope it continues.
  7. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +448
    While I want the Gators to win it all and think they have a chance to do it, the odds are against it. So many factors enter into to it-the seed, the bracket, health of the players, if you are playing well going in, other teams maturing with their performances all are variables that combine to determine the winner. IMHO this is a very good team with an outstanding defense and an offense sufficient to beat most teams. However it is not an overwhelmingly dominant squad. The addition of Walker may or may not change that. My point is not to let expectations get too high otherwise our fans could be in for a letdown.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    I hear you, but that is part of being a fan IMHO. You always want to believe your team could beat the Miami Heat in basketball and the New England Patriots in football. Again, I see your point, but I'm going to cheer until the end hoping that we have another deep run in the tourney!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +448
    As we all should!
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Nobody is saying "don't cheer 'til the end" or "they can't do it." Since the release of CW yesterday, some fans' expectations have skyrocketed to the point of claiming NC expectations. Even claiming anything else would be disappointing. That's silly.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    There was a great example of this in the game tonight. Devon Walker got elbowed in the face but got called for the foul anyway. He was kind of up in arms about it. Wilbekin comes over, gives him a pat, tells him its OK and helps calm him down. That maturity is going to pay dividends in March.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +448
    As a previous reply indicated, enjoying the season of this special team is something not to be missed
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I want a Final Four berth for this team bad. These seniors have been so close these past few years and have clawed and fought in every close game this year. There are so many good stories with this team: Prather with his breakout season, Young more than ever playing to potential, Wilbekin as an outstanding PG and Yeguete fighting back after all his knee injuries. They all seem to get along from Lex and Kurtz and Carter to Young and Wilbekin. Harris returning to the team solidifies that. Anyone else singing 'Kumbaya'?
    • Like Like x 1