What I like, dislike.....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by outbackjack, Dec 10, 2013.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    1. I absolutely love this team's effort and energy.
    2. I love their length and defensive disruptibility.
    3. I love the way they support each other, play team basketball, and respond to all the coaches during the game.

There is ALOT to like about this squad.

Dislikes......

1. Not a main one, but clutch free throws reared their ugly head tonight. It hasn't been a major issue other than individuals, so not too worried, it is usually decent.
    2. Here's the main one. Finishing out leads. This is an absolute killer for this group, and has been for years.

Had we been able to finish 10 point leads with 5 minutes left, we'd have reached the final four twice in the last three years, and who knows how far we'd have gone after that. Butler and Louisville were both ours for the taking.

Not sure what it is....but already in 2013....

FSU.....up 10 with 3:00 left, hold on for dear life to win at buzzer.
    UConn......up 7 with 12:00 left....lose
    Kansas....Up 12 with 3:00 left, held on but it reached 4 with 10 seconds left.

All 3 of these games we had the opportunity to extend the lead, and win going away.

ALl 3 something happened, to where the other team takes control late and we are left scrambling and hoping to "hang on".

I know, I know, I should be happy with the win. And I am. But this is a trend I'd LOVE to see us change.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Well, I mean Wiggins played insane at the end. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other team.
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    So, after Kansas scored after a 21-0 run we should have had another if not longer one? So, we didn't and that is a sign of weakness? LOL.

Basketball is a game of runs. In the first half Kansas played about as poorly as they can and the Gators played about as well as they can. Half way through the second half the Jayhawks had not made any serious dent into the Gator lead and then they became desperate. Luck for them they hit some difficult shots to close the gap, but if they were misfiring it could have been an extremely ugly loss for them.

At no time in the second half did I feel the game was in jeopardy without extreme luck for Kansas. I was at the game and not watching on TV if that makes any difference.

BTW, Wiggins is pretty good. He has a very mature game for a freshman. And the Kansas front court is very good. They really suffer at the PG position, though. Points off turnovers won the game for the Gators.
  4. jdiggy03

jdiggy03 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Your first dislike is your answer to your second dislike...we have been horrible with free throws for past 4 years...one good thin Prather shot well from the line today that's key ...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,996
    We had a slew of blow outs last year where we not only kept leads, but increased them, so I don't think it is the broader trend you are suggesting. Those were just prominent, nationally televised games, but not representative of the team over the last 3-4 years at all.

I do agree, however, that it has been a problem this season. Donovan addressed this a little in his post-game presser, wondering if it was overconfidence or just fatigue. I tend to think it is the latter. The FSU and UConn games were played with 6 scholarship players available each. You are going to have a hard time closing out games with such a thin rotation. Tonight, we faced a team that went 11 deep and because Devon Walker isn't healthy and Kurtz simply did not have the size to play with Kansas's bigs, we were only 7 deep. It was especially problematic for our starting bigs. We ask Yeguete and Young to move a lot, from the press to transition to ball screens to help defense, chasing shooters off the arc, and extending the 2-3 and 1-3-1 zones, so playing 28-30 minute is going to be very exhausting.

As soon as we get that bench back up to 8 or 9, I think our ability to extend second half leads and finish strong will get much better.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Fatigue, especially at the end of each half, Patrick is usually at the line. In the first half, Patrick missed two straight when Emlid almost got the Technical. Patrick gave so much, without resting the whole half, he gets to the line and clunks FT's. Last night with the small guard lineup gave Kansas fits in the first half. Our experience and ball handling was the difference. The lesson for the young Kansas team, is to play good defense and rebound. Shots will not always fall. The Sports center highlights should of been Wiggins losing the ball over and over in the first half. Freshman getting schooled.

One thing I am going to miss next year, is Patrick Young in the middle. He is a beast on defense and sets the tone for our team. When he is inspired, like last night, or at Conn., we usually controll the game. If Harris was spelling Pat for 6 minutes each half, we would blow out teams like Conn or Kansas. Chris Walker, a freshman will help and will be very talented, but a freshman none the less. Hopefully, some depth for Pat will be on the bench and we will find someone to replace him for next year.
  7. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Did my eyes deceive me, or was that Pat Young demanding the ball down on the block last night? Very refreshing show of assertiveness by him, and encouraging.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    To come away from last night's game with any dislikes probably isn't the right thing to do, but I completely agree about the free throw shooting, especially from PY and WY. They were combined 3-11 last night and 35-63 on the year. They have the two lowest free throw shooting percentages of all players on the team who have attempted at least 15 free throws. In tight games, when they're battling for rebounding position, I'm not totally comfortable with them going to the line.
  9. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I don't think this team knows who they are quite yet.
    While every team is getting better and gelling as the season goes, the addition of bodies as well for Gators is delaying the true gelling of this team. So far, we've been winning/competitive because of Defense and hustle/athleticism.
    D. Walker AND C. Walker still to come!

So, so nice to have our 2 PGs back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660

P Young played like he knew NBA scouts were in attendance. With that game, he guaranteed himself a draft slot in next years draft. The NBA loves active big men who can play defense. P Young plays defense as good as anyone in the college game today......maybe the best post defender in the nation.

I'm looking forward to seeing him matchup against Memphis' big men and of course Mr. Randle and the Kentucky gang
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Wilbekin was a beast tonight - offense and defense. If he and Hill can figure out how to work together it will be great (hill driving and look out to scottie for a 3).

Prather will give less athletic teams fits but long teams (Kentucky) will keep him in check unless he spots up from 15-18. With Young, Will and Prather on the floor we have little inside offense (good rebounding) and horrible spacing. Teams will figure us out soon - match up man inside and tight D on the shooters (let length cover our slashers - Hill/Prather). Avoiding long, big, athletic matchups will be a key in the tourney. Luckily the long, athletic team we faced last night had freshman ball handling issues.

Young can force doubles out of some teams but a few guys (ie, Randle) will not need help with Young I suspect. Walker will help if he can score in the post, and maybe Do-Do can bring some low post, set offense presence. I know this team will go to the tourney and am cautiously optimistic as to how far. I think the following things will be decisive:
    - matchups - above
    - free throw shooting - can't shoot 50% and get away with it every time. Just can't.
    - Walker providing some set offense.

Reality is we play great defense, are long and board well. We give many matchup problems with our length and if our offense is hitting shots and we make free throws, we can beat anybody!
  12. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Like:

Energy
    PY's intensity
    DFS's jumper
    Prather's clutch FT's (minus last 2)
    SW veteran poise
    Defense
    BD's taking out PY every offensive series when they were hacking

Dislike:

What happened to WY's offense...I know he's been slowed up, but I think he only tried to shoot once last night and got blocked

You can see why Prather needs more then just a slashing game, when we play teams with a shot blocker

Frazier disappeared

Need to extend our 3pt defense late in the game
    • Like Like x 1
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    a like about Frazier is that even though his offensive game was non-existent. He didn't let it effect his play on the defensive side of the ball. He came up with a few steals and key rebounds in the 2nd half.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Dislike:
    We need to find ways to get Frazier more shots from beyond the arc, kid is hitting 50% yet only shooting 2-3 per game, with Hill and Prather slashing we should be able to run him off of screens better to get him open
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    This was the second straight game in which the opponent made denying open looks for Frazier a high priority, and decided to let other shooters beat them if they could. Given the offensive stagnation for most of last night, it won't be the last game where Frazier feels like he's wearing a second jersey.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    We went 9/11 in clutch time....that's pretty good for "clutch free throws". But we do have to get better at the line for sure I agree, but this game we won it at the end shooting well at the line(it was the rest of the game we couldn't hit the rim).
  17. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    That 9-11 in clutch time is deceiving.

If you miss the front end of a 1-1, while it only costs you 1 miss on the stat sheet, it is the same as missing 2 shots.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +396
    If the Gator game plan centers around Prather pulling up for mid-range jump shots I think that we are in big BIG trouble. That is not what he does.
  19. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +396
    9 of 13 is still pretty good.
  20. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Were both misses first shots? Even then it's 9-13, which is still very good.