What I know about Roper, direct from NC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Dec 29, 2013.

1. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Yeah, but he was even fatter during his stint in New England, and still helped the Patriots win at the highest level. They won three Super Bowls with him running the offense. Also, the year before he came to Gainesville, he helped turn a sorry Chiefs franchise around and rank among the top-10 in total offense (including the NFL's top rushing attack). He helped Matt Cassel make the pro bowl. The guy obviously knows what to do with talent when he has it, and is by far the most accomplished offensive coordinator we've had in Gainesville in over a decade. Who knows why the offense sucked while he was here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I hope the guy works out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Agree on Weiss clearly being a strong OC.

We clearly didn't have a strong OL, and appeared to have put all our eggs in the JB basket at QB. Nobody was ready to play behind him (at least nobody that we tried to play), and JB was almost certainly going to get injured behind that OL, which of course he did. Season was effectively over after that.

IMO, Murphy was clearly our best QB in that spring game, and should have been given a real shot at the job, and been next in line behind JB (if he didn't win the job outright), rather than Driskel or Brissett.

Ancient history now, but I really wonder about some of our decisions at QB ever since Tebow left.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. sflagator

sflagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    This was the point of some debate when Weis was hired, but in my opinion Weis had the most overblown record of almost anyone in modern football. The Patriots actually did worse under his tutelage then they had previously. His tenure at ND was no better than Bob Davie's, and the passing offense only improved dramatically in his last two years when he played against much weaker competition, weaker passing defenses, and had two NFL caliber receivers and an arguable NFL QB onboard. The KC Chiefs made him look like a genius, but keep in mind he had Cassel healthy for the first time as a Chief (for most of the season, anyway), Dwayne Bowe back after a drug suspension, and Jamaal Charles starting (by himself) for the first time. Also, the previous season the head coach, Haley, tried to be HC and OC, so Weis was the first full-time OC under Haley. I'm not saying Weis didn't improve things -- he clearly did -- but his reputation as an offensive wizard appears to be more hype than substance.

Thus, I wouldn't say that Weis "knew what to do" with talent -- I'd say talent bailed him out. I think it's much more instructive to look at what a coach does with lesser talent when assessing coaching ability: Muschamp as a D Coordinator was excellent at getting guys to play above their pay grade. Weis was demonstrably bad at the same thing. Pease should have been good at it, coming from Boise State, but it turns out he wasn't. Roper should be good at it coming from Duke, but it remains to be seen how much of Duke's success was Cutcliffe and how much was Roper. Boise State is once again a good example: Is Roper a Petersen (who was Boise's coordinator under Dan Hawkins) or a Pease? Unfortunately for us, the Gators are the test case - we won't know until next season, and then it will be too late.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Wait a second: how can you say the Pats did worse under his tutelage than previously? He helped them win three Super Bowls. He has been credited with helping to develop Tom Brady. That is a mind-blowing statement on your part. Okay, he sucked at Notre Dame. But his play-calling with the Chiefs was solid. How has Matt Cassel been without Weis? Weis knew the talent he had in Jamal Charles, played to the team's strengths, and helped turn that franchise completely around.

You're not giving Charlie Weis his due as an offensive coordinator, my friend. Perhaps he's not cut out to run a college program, but you can't take away from his ability to call plays. I have never heard somebody even dare to suggest that a team that had won no Super Bowls prior to a coach's tenure at the franchise was "worse off" with a coach that played a part in helping to win three championships. I don't get that.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,066
    Something tells me teaching college kids vs NFLers is not the same thing. I would think you had at NE very capable Asst coaches helping teach their units an offense they knew already. On his own, at UF, don't think Weis could get it done and even with multiple years needs Assts that know the offense and really help him teach it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Like our 3d string qb, or linebackers, or offensive line? Oh wait, the third stringers got plenty of reps this year because so many 1 and 2s were injured.
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    I think the point is that they get zero PT before the injuries, so they're not prepared to play when called upon. Close games mean little chance to play those guys. Many of us believe that close games are the result of the staff's conservative game plan.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    Thank you, saved me from having to respond.
  10. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    Well, actually, there is a reason.
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. sflagator

sflagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Look at the offensive stats for the patriots over the years, then come back and tell me if you still "don't get it"
  12. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

And just what could that be, in your mind ?
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yep.

It'd be nice to get our backups reps by design, not just out of necessity.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1