What I know about Roper, direct from NC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Dec 29, 2013.

1. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Coaching can be so underrated when it comes to motivating and picking up a team.

Just look at the contrast between the NY Jets and Miami Dolphins. The team with less talent rose up and punched the home favorite in the mouth with little else to play for except pride.

I'm not going to completely write off Muschamp in this department, because he did get them to play beyond their capabilities against South Carolina. He also did a nice job in the Gator Bowl against Ohio State and those comebacks in 2012 count too. However, it's way too spotty at the moment. We need to be a lot more consistent with our effort and focus and that starts with him.

He will get another chance though.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Will just flat out did not prepare himself to be a head coach and he seems to be only interested in what is best for "his" defense. There are SO MANY flaws in his head coaching ability that it will take a MAJOR miracle for him to survive the laughingstock he has turned this program into. Georgia Southern, really? Just watch his post game 10 min. presser on YouTube making excuses and he's pathetic and lost. His true self.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    I'm sorry but what will Muschamp do if Roper is a great hire? He will leave in 2 years and then we are right back to where we started this year. Man, I hope if things don't work out with get Franklin. The man is going to be great and you can just feel it. We will see what happens. Please prove me wrong 1-5 years down the road Muschamp. I will eat the crow willingly.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    I wonder if Muschamp has an impediment to being successful- that he can't let other coaches be winners and doesn't hire the best Assts overall he could. I dunno, just thought it interesting. Makes no sense to be that way but people are strange animals sometimes.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I really don't think that's the case with him. He brought Dan Quinn with him, a defensive coach no less. Now, apparently in the running for a NFL HC job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well said.

Assuming roper turns around the offensive mess, my next biggest gripe will be about getting the most out of our team with respect to player development and weekly preparation.

If you go back and count the number of games that our team played to its potential considering the talent on hand in the Muschamp era it's probably around 50% which is dismal. We've laid a lot of stink bombs and suffered way too many blowouts in three years time. Even in our 11 win season half our games we didn't really play anywhere close to our ability.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    If we can get back to decisively winning games that we're favored in, that will go a long to making everyone feel a lot better about the program's direction.

There's just no reason that UF should struggle against Louisiana Lafayette, Jacksonville State and the 2012 injury depleted Missouri team. All home games too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    And that's why even if we get to Atlanta or beyond will you ever feel good about our chances? I don't know if I will. You never know how well the team will be prepared and which gator team will show up.

You never had to wonder if Meyer had our team ready to play, at least until he checked out.

When you see how we play against cupcakes and the team gets worse as the season progresses every single year you have to start to wonder about this coaching staffs ability to reach these players week in week out
  9. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    We'll know long before the first weekend of December if any change has occured.

My guess is we'll know by Game 4 in 2014 and have a pretty good idea of what to expect after the first three weeks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    It's going to be nice when we have some games won and can start substituting and developing younger players.
  11. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I know our two deep gets plenty of snaps at most positions, but it would be great if our non redshirted 3rd teamers got to play some.

It would have helped this year somewhat.
  12. pnpgator

pnpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    Totally agree. A good blowout once in a while helps build confidence and allows backups some extra reps. I still dont know why that hasn't happened much in the Muschamp era. Are we not capable or not willing.
  13. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    A little of both I think.

Muschamp doesn't seem like he wants to dump a lot of points on these teams. Against Toledo, we could have thrown the ball a lot more. In the late third and fourth quarter, we ran almost every snap with our starting QB still in the game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Weis was reportedly the same way. Demanded perfection, and was difficult for the players to warm up to. Whether true or not I don't know, but I remember hearing that the players weren't real disappointed when he left. I'm not so sure how relevant it is that Roper doesn't take any BS; many coaches don't. And remember that Weis has had a lot of success at the pro level and had been very influential in the development of some big-time pros. The more critical factor here I would think would be how Roper can mesh with Muschamp and the rest of the staff.

If the OP's comments about the general notion that UF has simply lacked in coaching/developing players is indeed true among DC and Roper, I guess only time will tell. I didn't feel real "warm and fuzzy" about the personnel we suited up, and that was before everybody got banged up. The offensive line has definitely underachieved, that much is certain. There has been no excuse for their lack of production over the last four years, and poor play has often resulted in our starting QBs missing critical games and moments. I do agree with that.

At the skill positions, particularly WR and TE? Possibly. I do find it interesting that guys like Debose, Deonte Thompson, David Nelson and Dunbar haven't been more productive over their respective careers. It's true that Debose was hurt, but even when healthy he's never really factored into the offense while here. Also, so many were certain that Robinson would have contributed this year, and you have to wonder how that never came to fruition in an offense that desperately needed somebody to make a play. What happened there? We'll never know how much progress Driskel had made during the offseason.

For now, it's just wait and see with Roper. What we do know is that he played a part in turning Duke into a winning program this season, and they've been on the up and up since Cut arrived. That's pretty impressive when put into proper perspective.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    In three years I don't think we've once put in our backup qb other than due to necessity caused by injury to the starter. THREE years. It's incredible.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    You don't know that for a fact. Clearly some weren't (JD's broken leg), but all of the non-contact knee issues, torn pecs, and other "freak injuries" are very odd and deserving of some kind of review of our S&C program.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Attempt to go get another great OC. Like any other coach would do when a successful assistant leaves. People are even bitching about potential success now. Jeez.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I think wm wants to be a hbc (he is of course) and thinks he knows how to be one but in reality is learning on the job and unfortunately uf is the Ginny pig. This is his first rodeo. I hope it works out, that he figures it out but I also know not everyone is cut out to be a hbc. There's a whole lot more to it than x's and o's or recruiting. I have no doubt wm is highly motivated, and is giving it his best, but it matters little if he's not cut out for it. I'd love to be a great musician, I could practice till the cows come home but I lack the ability, the ear for music, ect.
  19. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    I know the rest of your post has merit but this stood out to me. I don't think Weis was physically capable of teaching his offense and developing our team. I know he wasn't here that long but you could see it on the field. A dynamic OC will produce more and it will show on the field. I'm hoping our offense develops faster under Roper than our two previous OCs.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. sflagator

sflagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    I wanted to add one thing: Roper's wife Britt is pretty involved with the players at Duke, sort of like Shelley Meyer. Roper is tough, but he maintains a very personal relationship with his guys as well. If you're looking for a difference between Roper and Weis, there you go.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1