What I know about Roper, direct from NC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Dec 29, 2013.

1. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Cut encouraged Roper to take the UF job because he believes Roper is ready to be a head coach, but both he and Roper understand that Cut is given all of the credit for running Duke's offense. The only way he could move up is to establish his own independent body of work.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Pretty simple - our best coach left for MSU, Meyer was broken, and Weiss - what a disaster! Seems like pEase came in assuming all was fine but the previous years had taken their toll, then injuries. Just a cluster.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Cut returned to UT in 2006. Ainge was coming off a sub par sophomore season in 2005. He turned this kid around, on and off (temporarily, at least) the field. I remember specific quotes from Ainge crediting Coach Cut for what he did, but haven't found them. If you google the subject, you will find a lot of stories about this. It's well documented.

http://www.t-g.com/story/1175598.html
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,380
    I don't doubt Roper brings to Will the offense he wanted from day one.
    I do think Roper gives us a chance for better game planning and play calling.
    Cutcliffe, like SOS, is an incredible QB coach.
    But what I like about Roper is his game day play calling.
    Give him someone like Cook and he can destroy a defense with both Cook and Taylor or Lane in the backfield.
    Add to that Jeffs ability to run the offense can be deadly.
  5. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    just what the doctor ordered. we need a coach on offense a side of the ball that demands perfection and anything less will not be accepted. our offense has no leader nor do they have the discipline needed. hopefully Roper will bring all this
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Seems like any player worth a darn would welcome some player development. Can't imagine any being OK being apart of an offense that was so widely criticized. They should all be anxious to get that stank off them.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    Well, its not like Pease has ever been considered a 'players-coach.' From my understanding, many of his past players can't stand him. I remember a video of him in 2012 going ballistic and dropping F bombs in the coaches booth, so its not like he's all warm and fuzzy either. I'm not sure their personalities will make much difference, especially if the players will start to see some actual improvement in their play.
  8. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Why hijack the thread with this garbage? Our S&C is a strong point. Our system is proven, our guy is proven and the injuries are not related. Enough of this already.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Thanks for the post/thread. I believe this group of kids (not all of them) need a good kick in the sack to get them motivated, respectful, and playing as a team. They definitely could use some coaching up. Who doesn't need that? I have a business coach. We all need coaching up. After that abortion of a bowl game -not only getting whooped, but that demeanor and chump-tude, these guys could be broken down, built up and excel, and some will move on as men to the NFL and be contributors rather than takers in life. My hope is the bad eggs either have a paradigm shift or leave. We are fortunate we do have a lot of good kids on this team. Now maybe the good kids have been through enough they won't let the lessor guys take them down but rather they can build the guys on the edge up. A few guys are very close to having breakout seasons. Many of them should have never taken that long.(although we have no performance guarantees) Some leadership on the team helps with that- emulate the actions of the good guys. There is no good story in a bad seed remaining a bad seed. The story is in the guy on the edge changing his life and moving on and taking this experience with him through life. Particularly the guys not going tom the NFL. Because they need to move on, get jobs and become contributors to their family and society. So, a bust-ass coach? Very cool. Players coach? fk that sht. A bust-ass coach is just as available when kids need to talk about life as the players coach. I don't believe the accountability ratio factor is as high with a players coach. Coaches need to be respected not necessarily liked. I hope these guys are so worked they have no energy but to study and play and develop into role models; for all of us. The Gator nation is strong, but it would be nice if we could be winning again. We have the kids, now it's the coaches turn to get this ship righted. The Mighty Gators must prevail again. Dear Mr. Muschamp, hire, delegate and trust. Go Gators.
  10. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Cut and Roper make Pease look like Rex Ryan. They are no BS, all the time. Cut is kind of Sabanesqe - he isn't happy unless he's got something to be unhappy about. Roper is reportedly the same way, though I have to say that in person he seems likes perfectly normal dude.

11. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779

This is the way all very successful people are, you have to remain a few steps ahead and have high and moving higher expectations.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Looking "slow and tired" in the second half isn't unusual when players are playing more downs than they'd normally play because of injuries.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. rmonteag

rmonteag Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Don't believe you have any extra information on either w/o proof.
  14. Abgators

Abgators Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    After reading this post, I was watching a replay of the 2008 SEC championship game when we beat Alabama. It seemed that nearly every player on our team had made it to the NFL. Wondering to what extent that was true, my daughter and I compared the 2008 roster with a list of current NFL players and found that there were 21 gators off that 2008 roster who are currently active in the NFL. If you add Tebow and Hernandez, that would make 23.

So with regard to the question posed above regarding the current talent level versus prior year talent level when we were more successful, I wonder how many players off the 2013 roster will be playing in the NFL five years from now. I can't think of too many.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&order_by=name&desc=1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779

Funny, I just did the same last night, amazing the talent level....now compare that roster to the one we have now and make your own conclusions
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Abgators

Abgators Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    I've decided I'm going to just watch replays of Gator wins until things get turned around. I'm pretty sure that the 2006 NC game is still on one of my DVRs. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,522
    Great informative read, thanks.

Only part that confused me was that it sounds very similar to Urban's offense yet you specifically used his offense to describe what it's not. What are the major differences?
  18. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,522
    You, just like every Gator on this forum, no matter how much we bitch will watch every game no matter what.

That's what's funny is that we get so upset that we say were not but 99 percent on this forum always will because we represent the nuttiest fans of a nutty fan base.

Gator Country, home to the near criminally insane faction of the fan base.

We are also the smartest.

And most handsome.

Oh, and we have the biggest
    Brains

Go Gators!
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    I'm not sure what you'd like ... I'm not really willing to go take pictures of his family outside their house, so I guess you can accept the info or discount it. That's the beauty of the Internet, right?
    I think it will be pretty much what we've seen but with more no-huddle, honestly. I just think (hope?) the execution will be a lot better. I also expect fewer "slow developing" plays. I could be wrong....
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Injuries and depth was only part of the problem, the team was mentally wore out as well. Looking at the UGA game, we were physically pushed around until the dawgs started all the cheap shots and late hits. It took that to light a fire under our guys butts and from that point on we got a nasty attitude and nearly came back and won the game because of it....that was all mental. Sure the injuries took a tole, how could they not, but by mid season we had lost the mental toughness that we carried throughout 2012.
    • Agree Agree x 2