What I know about Roper, direct from NC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Dec 29, 2013.

1. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    I mentioned in another thread I live (or lived) on the same street with the guy, and have crossed paths with him socially a ton of times. I am also acquainted with Cutcliffe through the Iron Dukes and socially, though I don't pretend to know either guy real well personally. This is what I know and what I've been told.

Roper is essentially a Cutcliffe clone. He will probably deviate very little from what we've seen Cutcliffe do. He will run Cutcliffe's offense, which is essentially ... No specific offense. Cutcliffe was a conventional pro-set guy, then a no-huddle guy, now he's looking at the spread and a running QB. He flat-out said this year that he's put a bunch of QB's in the NFL, but he thinks he needs a running QB to win. He's big on tempo, Duke ran more plays per game than nearly everyone in the ACC last year. Because of that he is big on conditioning. He claims to tailor the offense to the personnel available. - something Roper has repeated.

Where Cutcliffe excels is in teaching fundamentals to QB's and receivers. He is frankly a complete d**k, the furthest thing from a "players coach" imaginable. He demands precision in every respect from his QB - in that way he's a lot like SOS, who broke the confidence of many a prep superstar over arm position, hand position, etc. Cutcliffe is a stern taskmaster, and if a guy can take it, they usually turn out better than when they met him.

Roper is exactly the same. Not warm and fuzzy, all business, a stickler for practicing and playing fast and with precision.

Cutcliffe encouraged Roper to take the UF job. The conventional wisdom is that UF is loaded with athletes who simply have not received any sort of real developmental coaching. The idea is that a dose of Cutcliffe style discipline and attention to precision and fundamentals will help the players actually play to their talent level, and the resulting success will springboard Roper to a HC job. Both Cutcliffe and Roper believe Roper had to get out from under Cutcliffe's shadow, and Roper reportedly believes that Florida's main problem is coaching, not talent.

Also, contrary to what has been reported here Roper has total control over his system. That says, the system isn't all that different from what Muschamp wants to run in the first place - it's still a balanced attack but with more no-huddle and QB reads than we've seen in the past. It ain't gonna be that different in concept, so don't expect Urban Meyer's offense.

My burning questions, based on all this, are:

1. Are they right about our players simply lacking decent coaching / development? I'm inclined to think so - there was no excuse for some of the garbage we saw last year with the talent we have. Everyone on offense can't be a bust ....

2. Will we see more players leave? My sense is yes - I think a lot of our guys are not going to handle the change in coaching personality well. Roper tolerates zero B.S. and gives zero f***s. Keep in mind these guys are winning at Duke - they believe, like SOS, that they will win with coachability over talent.

3. The biggest problem I see is that Roper isn't Cutcliffe, no one can predict whether he'll be as good, but he can't lord over the players like Cut can - he doesn't have the rep yet. It will be interesting to see if his personality and philosophy will work at UF. Also, I'm not convinced JD can meet the mental expectations of Roper. I guess we'll see

So in sum expect:

Balanced attack with a lot more up-tempo / no huddle and some more zone read

Players to either embrace the new expectations, or to chafe under Roper's heavy hand and defect en masse

Guys you forgot were on the roster suddenly overachieving

More disciplined skill players.

Total catastrophe if Roper simply doesn't have Cut's knack for offense, because he'll be running Cut's system hook, line, and sinker.
    • Informative Informative x 37
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Cut knows what he's doing when it comes to QB's. Some of that has to have rubbed off on Roper.

You can only hope that certain players accept the coaching they get. Erik Ainge credits Cut with turning him around.

I agree with the premise that the developmental coaching on offense has been lacking.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    The one part of the OP that I have a difficult time grasping is, "Cutcliffe encouraged Roper to take the UF job."

Why would he do that with Duke coming off their best year ever, an offense in place, and having a good coach leave his program? If Cutcliffe is a total d%#% like you said, why would he care about Roper's career and have him leave for a good opportunity? Kind of contradictory. If Roper is that solid(which I hope he is), Cutcliffe would try to retain him, not encourage him to leave Duke.
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
  4. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    I still can't believe Muschamp hasn't fired our S & C coach. We looked so out of shape on the field vs Mizzou, Vandy, Ga Southern, Miami, etc. I'm not talking about just the injuries, either. We looked slow and tired, especially in 2nd half of games. We could find a better S&C coach.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    It's not uncommon for a supervisors to encourage subordinates to make positive career moves.

I had a program director who helped me move to a better situation, not because he wanted to get rid of me, but because he wanted me to progress in my career.

You can only go so far staying in the same situation. It's time for Roper to make his mark and an impact in his profession away from his mentor.

As for Cut being a d!@k, I think that's more a personality characteristic as opposed to a character flaw.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I don't know what to make of our S&C. We were wearing people out in 2012, LSU game comes to mind.

It certainly wasn't the case in 2013.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    How refreshing.

Would agree but at what position(s) though? It matters because we're changing OC(QB)/OL, not WR/TE/RB.

My guess is players won't win if they have been wanting to learn how to win. Just hope Muschamp lets it happen.

Against Georgia it looked like we were being run over, lacking confidence, fundamentals, or strength. It was embarrassing.
  8. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    We definitely need a lot of offense to be tightened up, that side of the ball has been sloppy for years...ever since Urban's last year and the constant over snapping of the ball by our Center....then false starts, holding, missed blocking assignments, lining up wrong, missed routes, etc. we need a hard nosed guy in the worst way. If those are his thoughts, he's right. Just cleaning up all those things will makes us a much better team.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +607
    Interestingly, Grier has worked with Roper before (so presumably knows his style) and has openly said he's happy about it via Twitter. That's a good thing to hear about your incoming QB :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    turning him around into what exactly?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    The more I've looked into Roper, the happier I am with this hire. He seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered to fix the offense.

I just hope "He learned under Cutcliffe" doesn't become the new "Saban wanted to hire Pease too."
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    Great post! I said in an earlier thread that the amount of time that this offense comes together is at a premium. The key is how fast the players buy into the system. I don't believe the majority of players will have a problem buying in to the system because they do not want a repeat of 2013.
  13. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,670
    I have been saying over and over. I don't think UF is lacking talent. The problem was the staff failing to design an offense around the strengths of the players.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    I believe you're right however we are lacking depth at some positions.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +340
    You dont think all those injuries and a lack of any form of competent offense had anything to do with wearing down in games this year?

Why did we outlast every team last year with the same coach?

Speculation on a message board is fun but without intimate knowledge of day to day team functions its hard to understand how such definitive assumptions/statements are made. One example being how some here just absolutely know muschamp is micromanaging the offense. They can't know unless they are involved with the team somehow but they "just know."

I dont know for a fact why the team looked overmatched physically but one could assume it might be because of injury and lack of depth. I don't think its perplexing why he hasn't fired the strength coached simply because we have NO IDEA what state our conditioning program is in based on this abortion of a season
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    This team needs discipline.WR"s need to be precise in their routes, Oline needs to make and hold blocks. The QB needs to run his progressions accurately and RB's need to find holse quickly. SOS made these things his top priority and disciplne was his mantra. For years uga players never improved but now it's the gators who got stale.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    How can this happen in a 3 year period at UF? Unbelievable.

Otherwise, great post and it give me some hope.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Saukuf

Saukuf Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Excellent post!! I agree with concerns about S&C - looks like a totally different team - are they less fit and therefore more injury prone?.......
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    Wait, when did that happen?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Thanks OP - sounds like very good info and about what we would expect.

SOunds like it may be a tough transition but if the players buy in ... the key will be Driskel and how soon he can get to repping. Hopefully he's already studying the playbook.