What healthcare will soon look like in the USA....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, May 16, 2014.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +730
    Like is does in the UK... It can be no other way. It's just math... Enjoy...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10822388/Millions-wait-a-week-to-see-GP.html

Patients waited more than a week to see their GP on almost 50 million occasions last year, according to figures that illustrate the delays people face when accessing basic NHS care.

An analysis by the Royal College of GPs found that 47 million GP appointments in 2013 – one in six of all consultations – involved a wait of at least seven days to see a doctor or nurse.

Senior doctors last night warned GPs were buckling under the demands of an ageing population, and that too often only those who “shouted the loudest” were able to secure help quickly. Experts said some patients were forced to wait even longer than a week, with delays of up to a month for appointments at some surgeries.

Dr Helen Stokes-Lampard, of the Royal College of GPs, said: “My biggest fear is that those who are most vulnerable and least assertive are getting overlooked. The patients who shout the loudest will get the urgent appointments, but many others are left waiting for far too long.”
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +861
    I have seen , first hand, the Free Medical Care program in a foreign country to our south.

There was a line 2 blocks long outside a hospital that was as clean as a 1958 Texaco Station on Hwy 99.....filth and stench !

It's Free !! It is Managed !!

Obamakare !!!!!!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,834
    As long as the lazya$$ freeloader/Obama voters get their free $h!t no one cares.
  4. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    A man was recently given a vasectomy by mistake in a British hospital. But I guess that could happen anywhere...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    It would be worse if it were a woman. :)
  6. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    With all of the boomers retiring we're bound to see more delays and longer wait times. That's a demographic problem that's been hanging over us long before the current POTUS took up residence in the WH. The question is will our system handle it better than the UK's. Only time will tell but there a couple of factors that should be significant positive indicators. The UK is not just a single payer like Canada, the government employs the doctors and nurses and owns the clinics and hospitals. I don't know anybody who is clamoring for the US to go that far in fear of just what you've reported. Once fully implemented our system will be much like what is seen in Switzerland, The Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Denmark. As a result there should continue to be sufficient promise of profit and high compensation to bring in enough new physicians and capital to finance hospitals and clinics. Not long ago Forbes published an article that compared physician worldwide and a chart that showed that only the Netherlands paid its physicians more than the US and the UK pays its employee-physicians about half that amount. Practicing medicine will remain an attractive opportunity for the foreseeable future (don't get me wrong, I know just as many old docs as you who promise to retire "next year"; I'm more concerned with the class of pre-med students at UF who will begin their practice 10-12 years from now; they don't know "what it was like in the good old days" and there are still more of them than med school seats available). I tend to think that the US will be able to weather this storm.
  7. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,264
    Maybe I have the wrong GP doctors (UF Shands) or maybe its the wrong private HMO but waiting a week for an appointment with my GP sounds pretty good. I am grateful that I don't have to see them often for an unscheduled appointment, but when I do, the wait is usually 2-3 weeks. Sometimes they will try to fit you in but that entails 2-4 hours in the waiting room.
  8. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    British and Canadian Health Care is excellent...as long as a. You don't get sick and b. If you do get sick, you do not need surgery.

But of course the "something for nothing crowd" in the US points to both countries and have wet dreams because they think it is free.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    We should be so lucky as to have Canadian or UK health care.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  10. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    You've already got it. It is called Medicaid. But only half the docs will accept it because it pays so little. And God help you if you should have a chronic HC issue or need surgery. You are SOL.

Fred, I'm sure your parents taught you, there is no such thing as a "free lunch". Same with health care. Docs want and need to be paid. And it is not nor should it be, government's responsibility.
  11. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    It will be a continuing trend as the baby boomer generation dies off and the Hispanic population continues to grow. More people will be getting what they want. The dem base will grow. The good news is all the whining from the GOP will grow weak and distant as their numbers continue to dwindle.
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    While I have no issues with the HMO being an available product. It's structure is what the single payer crowd is clamoring for. Limited options for a lower cost. The problem is they keep mandating coverages that end up increasing costs and want to remove the ability for people to buy for more flexible plans.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/HMO_vs_PPO
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    Have fun selling this to America...

"The NHS delivery in London hospitals seem to be somewhat of a communal experience. You give birth on a primarily midwife led wing, stay in a room shared by up to half a dozen other mums, and are discharged as quickly as medically possible, often within hours of the birth. From friends who’ve given birth on the NHS in London, it’s adequate, but basic, but difficult if you need peace and quiet or require extra assistance after the birth and there are no baby nurseries."

Nothing like a community experience with your baby! Mums would love...

http://transatlanticmom.com/giving-birth-in-the-uk-vs-the-us-more-different-than-you-might-think/
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    LOL!

Jet Packs for everyone!

Nothing costs money. People will get what they want. It is FREE!
  15. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    More people will be getting what they want. A very vocal soon to be dwindling unhappy minority will not.
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    You are correct in that we are bankrupting our kids and grand kids so we can get what we think we are owed. It is a sad and unfortunate reality.

The real unfortunate thing is people like us will probably be gone by the time the real consequences hit. Definitely not something to be proud of. And it is too bad you appear to mock those trying to reduce the burden we leave others...

Free Jet Packs for everyone!
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    The entitled give me what I want mentality is alive and well.

Not what I need. I am owed what I want.

Sad!
  18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +861
    dirigo-".....demographic problem.."

True, but making a problem worse by involving Big Fat Bloated Fed Govt in a micro way only results in a bigger, fatter, more expensive problem.

Liberalism tends to identify a problem, attempt to solve it by creating a bureaucracy, throwing/wasting taxpayers' hard earned money at it, all of which creates a bigger problem than the initial problem, which results in.....

Weather the storm? That is a hope, based on blind faith in the US Federal Govt ability to solve problems !

Solve This: $17 TRILLION IN NATIONAL DEBT.

If 1 Second in Time = $1.00. $1.0 Million = 11.6 Days. $1.0 Billion = 32 Years. $1.0 Trillion = 32,000 Years.
  19. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Am I correct in assuming that you'd prefer that the government abandon the healthcare field?
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  20. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Yep, with all those GOP white males paying most of the bills dead, that will leave the Hispanics and liberal slackers to have to pick up the tab for the less fortunate. Quickly pick me off the floor. I'm about to die laughing.
    • Funny Funny x 1