What does next year's team look like

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by BobbyGator72, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Now that the draft is over and we know who has signed and who has not I was wondering what next year's team will look like. Anyone care to post a depth chart on who they think plays and what pitchers will contribute? It was also posted that several members of this year's team will not be coming back but the only name I have seen who has transferred out is Tucker Simpson, is there any more updates on possible attrition?
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    I know I can't help ya but I would like to know all of this as well.
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32

Unless it has changed, the deadline for drafted players to sign is in August so there may still be some uncertainty.

Someone posted Reid and Mitchell were likely gone - both of which are understandable.

Hated to see Mags get drafted in later rounds and sign.
  4. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    This is just something I threw together using last year's roster and our incoming freshman listed in another thread.

Zack Powers 1B
    A.J Puk 1B/LHP

Casey Turgeon 2B
    Brady Roberson INF

Richie Martin SS
    John Sternagel SS

Josh Tobias 3B
    Pete Alonso 3B

Taylor Gushue C
    Kevin Stypulkowski C
    Mike Fahrman C
    Todd Haskel C
    Keith Oren C

Harrison Bader OF
    Justin Shafer OF/RHP
    Cory Reid OF
    Connor Mitchell OF
    Christian Dicks OF
    Raph Andrades OF
    Buddy Reed OF
    Ryan Larson OF
    Cody Fulton OF

Jay Carmichael RHP
    Eric Hanhold RHP
    Ryan Harris RHP
    Keenan Kish RHP
    Aaron Rhodes RHP
    Mike Vinson RHP
    Karsten Whitson RHP
    Brett Morales RHP
    Dane Dunning RHP
    Logan Shore RHP
    Shaun Anderson RHP
    Dean Pelman RHP

Bobby Poyner LHP
    Danny Young LHP
    Parker Danciu LHP
    Corey Stump LHP
    Alex Hagner LHP
    Scott Moss LHP
    Kirby Snead LHP
    Tyler Deel LHP
  5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    The draft deadline was last week. It changed a couple years back.
  6. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    From what we heard at the end of the season, there are probably several guys on that list that won't be with the team next year. The posters here who are close to the program insinuated that there will be significant turnover.
  7. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I think that Christian Dicks is gone. Somebody that knows something needs to get on here and save this thread!
  8. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Corey Reid was announced as a transfer, and I have heard others would be coming too. Only Reid and Simpson thus far. Perhaps, a few of said transfers were waiting to see if any of the newbies signed.

IMO, the offense should be a bit better. It will all come down to the starting pitching rotation. If both Whitson and Kish can come back healthy from day one and be weekend starters all year the team has a chance. If not, who knows....we need three very consistent starts and two others that could fill week day starts. That seemed to be one of the biggest issues last year, no consistency in the starting rotation. The offense is what it is, I don't expect a ton of difference from last year. I would suspect it would be better, but I don't think we're gonna be a top end offensive club, and you don't have to be in the current state of college baseball. Go gators.
  9. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +182
    If the offense doesn't improve markedly, it doesn't matter how good the pitching is. Last year, if we got down two runs, it was over. Last year was the worst Gator offense I've witnessed in the 34 years that I've been going to UF baseball games. If we don't improve considerably on O, something is rotten in Denmark - and Sully will need to find someone that can teach these kids to hit - and put more emphasis on recruiting some better position players.

I believe it is possible for the pitching to improve some and the offense to improve alot. We signed some sticks; if enough of them make it to campus, our offense will be much better. As you said, if Whitson and Kish stay healthy, the other pitchers on the roster improve over the summer, as they should, and a couple of freshman arms can help out, our pitching will actually be really good.
  10. drcoldblood

drcoldblood Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
  11. Marshall

Marshall Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    With all due respect, I think that last comment about "rotten in Denmark" is a little over the top when you consider the quality AND number lost, then same that were injured for most or all the year. I thought there was a great job of getting really good looks in competition of most all the players on the squad. I think Coach O and his coaching staff have great eyes for talent, and I have seen guys develop during their time at UF under that group. I think you have to give Coach a lot of credit for the care taken with Whitson and let's hope everyone is rewarded with an awesome year for Karsten.

PS - Thanks for the posters on this site....only place I regularly see some baseball news.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +182
    My comment that contained "rotten in Denmark" was IF we see no real improvement this year on O. How can anyone argue that? Should we not expect improvement from THE worst UF offense of the last 30-40 years? The bar's just not that high.
  13. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +265
    When a coach leads a team to three consecutive CWS and then still advances to the postseason in a rebuilding year, absolutely nothing is rotten in Gainesville. Especially when you add in the best recruiting class in the country, things are just fine with UF baseball.

Some posters need to think before they post.
  15. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,122
    Yup
  16. 60sDCGator

60sDCGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I think our pitching has a chance to be very good, especially if a couple of the incoming freshmen are as good as advertised and don't forget about Jay Carmichael. He was pitching very well early on this past season.

My concern is hitting. Hopefully some of the incoming freshmen that are reported to be big hitters will make the transition from high school to division 1 baseball quickly and contribute. If not, we could be in for another season where we have to literally scratch for every run. The good news is we have most of those guys back, but the bad news may be that most of those guys will be back. The whole team was either in a entire season slump last year or they just are not good hitters. Maybe they need a better hitting coach, as I thought their approach to hitting was terrible. They constantly stood their and looked at good pitches and swung at bad ones. Plus, everyone on the team tried to pull the ball all season (with the exception of Harrison) instead of hitting the ball where it is pitched to all fields. Even when they got someone on base, they would run themselves out of an inning more times than not. I just did not get it!

I played baseball all my life and I have always been of the opinion that by the time you get to college you can either hit or you can't. These kids have been playing baseball since they were 5 years old from T-ball on up, so they ought to be better hitters than what they showed last season.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and we will see some improvement this season.
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    Thanks for the article. My son will be a freshman at Riverside High School here in Greer this fall. Would any of you guys be interested in me taping him if he makes the "rotation" and posting it on here so you guys can give me your two cents. He's a lefty and he's a switch hitter/first base. I have been mentioning him on here off and on for the last 5 years or so. I have been a football guy my whole life, so that's why I ask you "baseball" guys for advice all of the time. Also should I send the tape to Sulley as well?
  18. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Sully likes to start tracking guys pretty young, so I say send it. What have you got to lose?