What do I do with my Word docs?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Dec 17, 2013.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    I have a lot of important files in Word 2003. I'm going to buy a new computer, but have learned that Word 2003 is not compatible with Windows 8, in fact Windows 8 doesn't even have Word. There is something called Office 365 that includes a version of Word, but you have to pay $99 a year for it. Is that what I have to do, or does Windows 8 have anything that Word docs can be converted to? Someone posted somewhere online to get OpenOffice, which is free. I don't know what OpenOffice is and whether it will take my files.

I also have some important files in Notepad. What will I have to do with those in Windows 8?
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +229
    First of all, Windows 8 supports several versions of traditional Office. I am running Office 2010 on Windows 8.1 and SUSPECT that Office 2003 COULD work on it. You could move it to your new computer. This would entail talking to some nice Microsoft employee in India or the environs to transfer the license, however. Windows 8 is intended to support Office 2013. Office 365 is the cloud version of office and is at the Office 2013 level of features.

OpenOffice is a free replacement for Office and can be downloaded from here. It is 99.87% compatible with Office so only the pickiest Office victims would ever see any significant difference. It will certainly handle your old Word files with no issue – unless you have done seriously unnatural things in them.
  3. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like I could upgrade from Word 2003 to Word 2010 or Word 2013 on my old computer, then transfer the files to the new computer. Is that right?

I've seen the word "cloud" lately and don't know what it means. I remember something about "cumulus" from physical science. But for $99 a year it sounds like Office 365 does things that I have absolutely no need for.

Thanks, I may do that.

What about Notepad? I have a lot of html files for my websites, composed in Notepad. What do I do with those?[/quote][/quote]
  4. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Rather than upgrading your current PC I would suggest trying to get as cheap a copy of 2013 for your new computer. You can use the Windows Easy Transfer tool to move all your current documents to your new computer. Word 2013 can read and update the old documents.

The ‘cloud’ is one of those marketing/hype terms. The ‘cloud’ refers to the Internet and ‘cloud software’ is software that lives in the cloud. With Office 365 the programs are not on your hard drive; they are on Microsoft’s disks somewhere on the Internet. There are many great benefits to many types of computing endeavors of running in the cloud. Many companies find it cheaper to rent computing resources on the cloud rather than buying physical hard, for example. This also allows them to reduce headcount which is ‘always a good thing’ if you’re counting the beans.

Notepad still works just find in Windows 8. In fact, Windows 8 is pretty much like any other version of Windows once you get past the giant icon filled start screen. It just takes a little while to become accustomed to the new ‘pretty face.’
  5. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    Thanks, Lake. Here's another question that maybe you can answer, since reading about stuff from Microsoft online gets very confusing.

There is Office 2013, but all I need from that are Word 2013 and Publisher 2013 (really just for printing envelopes). Word and Publisher cost about 100 bucks each if bought individually, but if I understand correctly, if I subscribe to Office 365 for $99 a year I can download Office 2013 "for free." But I would have to continue the subscription in order for Word and Publisher to function from year to year, since the programs will be up there in the clouds and not on my computer. Is this correct? Seems to me it would be cheaper in the long run to buy the Word and Publisher programs, installed on my new computer, rather than pay every year for a subscription to use them. True?
  6. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    I see now that envelopes can be created using Word 2013. So I don't need Publisher for it. So I guess all I need to do is buy Word 2013 for my new computer and not worry about Office 365 and the cloud.
  7. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Exactly right. By the way, Word has been able to print envelopes and labels forever - at least I cannot recall ever not being to do so. I know I was printing envelopes with Word 15 years ago.
  8. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    I used Publisher for envelopes simply because I had it, so didn't look to see if Word had the capability.
  9. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    This..

Open office is infact the bomb.
  10. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Google Drive works pretty well with word documents also. All you need is a gmail account which is free. You can upload your Word docs and Google Drive allows you to edit, save, and export in many different formats(word, PDF, etc). I have seen the Drive fail when trying to upload and convert the Doc to their proprietary file format. Also, there are some formatting (like borders) that may be lost on conversion. Link: https://drive.google.com
  11. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    I've bought my new computer, but since Santa is bringing it to me I can't open the box till Christmas Day. Bah, humbug!

Santa is also sending me a new printer and printer stand by UPS. I wish he could bring me Word 2013, but I'll have to buy that after Christmas.