1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

What conference does the selection committee favor?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by acegator, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,586
    I believe this plays into their end-game: this present format will have fans, boosters, and alumni ready pitchfork this committee and the only solution will be to expand the field of participants...this is the beginning of the present-day college basketball format....the tournament generates BILLIONS IN REVENUE! eventhough college football is superior in revenue intake,.they'll never leave "well enough" alone....at the end of the day, it's all about money!!
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    This could well be the plan... they know there will be so many pissed off people with their selections, that they have to go to at least eight teams.

It's going to be real tough to get fans traveling to up to four post season games (conference championship plus three). I think the first round will have to be at the home stadium of the higher seed.
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +795
    Looks like some dont believe that in SOME years, the
    SEC will have two or more of the four best.

Bama has a lot of titles but just now has a Heisman.

The Pac ten Big ten Rose Bowl connection makes them stick up for
    the other conference.

If they use the same bias, getting the best four wont happen
  4. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    I think bias will play a bigger role than human error in criticism the selection committee is sure to bring about.

Does anybody know if the committee will give any assessment of their opinion during the season, or is it a one-shot decision at the end? Also, how long does each member stay on the committee?
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    You're right, IMO... even if some of the committee members don't come in with intent to lock in their conference or lock out others, they will bring their own biases from the limited games they watch from their favorite conference.

Looking at the committee make up, we'll probably get one each from the PAC, B1G and SEC, with everyone else scrapping for the last spot... and the PAC having by far the best chance of getting a second team into the playoff.

If we just stuck with the BCS formula, then anybody could make it by scheduling tough games and winning.
  6. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Oak, I agree. There's going to be bias that comes in, intentional or not.
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Good questions, jd.

I have no idea what the answers are, though.

But flashing back on the controversy in 2006 between us and Michigan, I think it would be a good idea to have somebody objective put together blind resumes on all the competing teams, and have the committee evaluate those resumes and vote the best teams from those blind evaluations.

Committee can weigh in on what criteria they want to see addressed in the resumes, but it should definitely include record against ranked teams and top 10 teams.
  8. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392

This little four team tournament was sold and advertised to have the four 'BEST' teams play. Not the four highest ranked teams or four conf champs. I for one have little to no faith that is actually what will happen when the chips are on the table. It will end up being four of the five conf champs from the SEC-Pac12-Big10-Big12-ACC.

There is way too much $$$, power and vested interest involved for said committee to allow one conference to have two of the four spots.
  9. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I also think they should do a moch run this year at selecting the teams to work out any glitches.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    this is going to be a disaster. good concept terrible execution. if they wanted to take the bias out of this they needed to make the committee much larger. with this small group each opinion is worth so much. also it is impossible to take out human bias, try as hard as you want but its just something we all have. if they made it larger (100+) and had a vote than it would dilute each person's vote(breaking down the bias) and give better perspective from a bigger picture.
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Or just use the BCS formula they already had. No committee needed. No politics needed. No beotching and moaning about politicized selections.

Way too easy and way too much sense, apparently.
  12. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    How in the world did the SEC sign off on this member committee?
  13. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    i completely agree, i have posted on this topic in another thread suggesting that and that would be my first choice option. however they wanted to do a committee which was understandable( i don't agree but i get how people in general can agree). if they were going to do a committee i think it needed to be a larger committee(like the ncaa bball tourney) because that helps take bias out of the equation a little more than it does with a smaller sub-20 person committee.
  14. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    Remember when the Natty Champ was decided by the AP poll ? This commitee will prove to be a much worse nightmare, teams chosen by humans with an agenda.
  15. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    There is always going to be controversy, no matter what selection system we use! Once we get to a 4 team playoff....the screaming will come from team #5. When we evolve to an 8 team playoff....team #9 will scream bloody murder. Hey, it makes for great sports editorials!
  16. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Either use BCS formula to minimize human bias in the four team selection. Or if they're determined to keep a selection committee, open the playoff to 8 teams -- even with human bias, 8 will be inclusive enough to capture the most deserving teams. Then let the teams prove their worth. If it were an 8 team playoff, four New Years Day bowl games would serve as the first round, then the next Saturday that is at least 7 days after NYD would have the 2 semifinal games with the championship game the following Saturday.