What Compromises Are Republicans Offering?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Oct 2, 2013.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Well, the secession question isnt exactly answered by the Constitution either, it was settled outside of politics, rightly or wrongly depending on your perspective I guess. I think its somewhat ballsy to be like "look at all the messy results, civil war and brinksmanship created by this document - ain't the Constitution a work of absolute genius?"
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    As it has been said by many people throughout the ages: our system is the worse in the world...except for everyone else's. I get that progressives want change and are frustrated that things don't move as fast as their minds do but community is a messy business and taking shortcuts, no matter the noble ideas, is fraught with hazards. And THAT is the basis for which the constitution was framed.
  3. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    I believe that is another myth about the ACA.
  4. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    I won't address exactly where in the Constitution it was adopted but it was universally held that the states were the primary source of power and that there was a confederation between them. When the powerful northern states decided to make the economies of the southern, agrarian states untenable they did what they knew what was in their purview: they moved on. Lincoln had a grand vision (probably didn't want to be the guy in the seat of the Presidency when the great experiment in a republican form of government came to a halt) and decided to unilaterally change the dynamic that was agreed to when the US was formed. So yes, Presidents are wanting to become dictators when there are crises. But I don't think you would agree that Mr. Obama is rising up to that level. He is just a liberal legislator who was voted in as President twice. And THAT is on us.
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    The South may have had a good Constitutional argument, but clearly, it wasn't "universally held," or else Lincoln would have had no support for a war to preserve the Union. Lincoln had no real designs on ending slavery, the South just realized its political power was waning, because there would be no expansion of slavery to new states. The balance of power was shifting away from them. So, they decided to kick the ball into the woods and not play anymore.
  6. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    so no compromises I see

and whats funny is that the whole thing is a compromise to begin with

Privatized Universal Healthcare coming originally from the Heritage Foundation and implemented first by the last Republican Presidential candidate