What Compromises Are Republicans Offering?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Oct 2, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I keep reading on here all about how Democrats, and especially the President , refuse to negotiate and compromise. Normally, once a law is passed, it's a law until it's repealed or amended. Here, we have a minority trying to repeal by threat.

So what is it that the Republicans are giving in return as their compromise? Saying that they'll shut the government down and default on the debt isn't a compromise. It's a threat and hostage taking.

Are they willing to do something about climate change or investing in clean energy? Immigration reform? Higher taxes? All I here is whining about how the dems won't compromise when they're being offered nothing at all to secure that compromise. What am I missing here?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    You're not missing anything, you're just not buying the BS Republican talking points.
    And neither are most Americans.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
  4. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    I would suggest you go to moveon.org and you will find tons more libbies to discuss your views. They will all agree with you.

The last house bill passed Monday night had two provisions. 1. Eliminate the exemption given congress and staffers. 2. Delay the individual mandate "fines" for one year. It said nothing about delaying the mandate. It said nothing about delaying Obamacare or defunding or dismantling ACA.

Essentially the last bill asked for equal treatment of the ruling class and no fines for one year and Reid would not bring it up for a vote. Government shut down is not on the house, not on the senate, not even on Obama. It is on little Harry Reid, who suffers from little man disease.

He likely needed some time off to shop for risers for his shoes and padding for his suit coat to make himself look taller and tougher. Maybe he can borrow Nancy Pelosi's.
  5. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,513
    It is the two party system we currently have. If you dont like it, tough. You voted for it, donate your money to it and spend much of your time and effort here bitching about it.

All of you that see this (or every other issue) through a partisan lens have been hoodwinked.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,694
    Nancy Pelosi's are store bought
  7. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,382
    It's a little like the Blazing Saddles scene where Cleavon Little has the gun to his own head.
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    notice the cons throwing darts in this thread, rather than providing examples of compromises their party is willing to offer if Dems compromise in return.
  9. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    plenty of examples on other threads old. You just don't like the compromises and we just don't like ACA.

Latest house vote was for only 2 provisions to fund the government. 1. Delay fines for individual mandate for one year. 2. Eliminate the exemption for the ruling class granted several weeks ago by Doofus.

I would say that is a major compromise from totally defunding ACA and starting over.

And you guys may look back on that offer and wish Reid would have allowed a vote on it. The exchanges are a cluster. Blow back will be severe.

Have you tried to get on yours?
  10. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    What's going on now isn't compromise. It's more like extortion.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Well, no. Compromise means the other side gets something out of it.

"We'll agree to do our jobs if you give us an extreme major concession." turning into "We'll agree to do our jobs if you give us this marginally less extreme, but much worse policy, concession." isn't compromise.

Either way, what did the other side get out of it? Oh that's right, the exact same thing that you were supposed to be doing in the first place.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,299
    I think you want tangible ideas and I just don't think that is what is going on. Right now a few people who are politically covered (read they aren't going to get voted out of office) are using their influence in the manner in which our constitution allows. The Democrats pretty much own the high ground - battle position and not moral position - and this is the only game plan available to them.

You know, this stuff would be considered the constitution working its magic in years past - no one gets to oppress others - but when things are as much out-of-whack as they are now in DC, we need movement and it is working against progress. Perhaps that is why the founding fathers were all about limiting the role of the Federal government and made it beholden to the states. There are too many narrow and conflicting interests to do anything comprehensive, nationally speaking, except for the military foreign relations.
  13. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    The law has already been "changed" by giving exemptions to so many, congress/staff and many Obama supporters.

Make it apply to all or give everybody an exemption for a year. Program is not ready.
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,692
    Well, not before the 1970s. The budget process changed then, and there have been like 17 shutdowns of varying degrees since then. There were like none before. But maybe if there had been those and a debt ceiling, the Civil War could have been avoided. The Southerners could have just refused to raise it until Lincoln agreed not to abolish slavery or something. Magic!
  15. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +870
    Oh, and BTW, because I survived the mortgage business crash the previous 5 years, dispute having hundreds of thousands in savings, it appears my loss carry forward will have the government subsidize $10-15k plus of my health insurance premiums.

Thanks Obama.
  16. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,513
    You cannot be serious. What did 'the other side' get?

They got the Aca crammed through without even reading it and in turn bought enough votes to win a second term.

Bravo. Our system is about winning elections and nothing more.
  17. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I like how the party that refused to even vote on a budget for like five years is now lecturing us on Congressional Responsibility.
  18. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +870
    War was not fought over slavery! Was fought over states rights.

Common misconception though.
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,692
    Yes, state right's to keep their property (i.e. slaves) and their economic system intact (i.e. unpaid agricultural labor). High principles indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,299
    I think you are confusing the process of the constitution from the results. Sometimes the results are pretty messy. Remember the saying that politics is like making sausage, you don't want to see how it's done. BTW, the southern states did what they were allowed to do - secede - and Lincoln decided to intercede. The Civil War was more about "might makes right."