What are you still doing cardio ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Apr 16, 2012.

1. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Haha well I read your fitness lies thread so ill be straight up with you that I run three miles a day in less than 18 minutes before I do a workout.
  2. ThomasGoldkamp

ThomasGoldkamp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Holy crap, man. I need to go for a run now. You guys are kicking my ass... :laugh:
  3. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    haha I used to pitch in hs (graduated last year) and my coach was big into pitchers having great endurance.
  4. ThomasGoldkamp

Ratings Received:
    +11
    My runs topped out at 400 meters. That was the perfect length for me, and I was also really good at 300 M hurdles. Anything past that I consider distance... :laugh:
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    And then you warm up with 300 pound bench presses, right ?
  6. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Lol our coach set a time and said you need to get done with x amount of miles before this time or it was the dreaded monster mile. Haha
  7. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Not a chance. Couldnt even do 200.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    Decades of distance running was probably the worst fitness mistake of my life. I got into it because, back in the 70's everybody was doing it. Running was, at that time, said to be the best exercise. And I was skinny. So, I mistakenly believed I was best suited for running.

Lots of low level aches and pains and repetitive stress injuries were the result. I just assumed that that was the price you had to pay to be healthy and fit.

And interestingly, my health markers improved substantially when I gave it up.
  9. uffeesh

uffeesh Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    That's why I switched to the Y. Even with breaking my ankle, I still enjoy that much more than working out.

Can't play at the Rec anymore?
  10. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    I know eventually ill have to give it up if that happens to me but for right now ive just ran three miles a day since I was a freshman in hs. No more, no less just kept getting better times so I continued to do it.
  11. ThomasGoldkamp

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I probably could since I used to work there and could get people to sneak me in. But I wouldn't want to ask anyone to do something they're not supposed to do on account of me. I'm a bad influence in many ways I'm sure, but getting you in trouble at work ain't one of 'em... :laugh:
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    Do you enjoy running ?
  13. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    I do cardio because I enjoy it. I don't really like long distance running all that much, but it helps me for my overall endurance when I want to train for big hikes and such. I probably only run when I absolutely have to though (to train). My primary form of cardio these days is usually an 8 mile bike ride several times a week. I really enjoy this workout and it's very soothing for me.

Other forms of cardio for me are swimming and some circuit training stuff. But those are rare.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    If you enjoy it then I totally get why you do it. Lots of people just like to scratch the itch. Many people do it because they mistakenly think they have to or because they think it's an intelligent strategy even when it's not.
  15. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Yah I enjoy running, one of the reasons why I wanted to get better at it time wise. Although I didnt like it to start but it grew on me as I saw improvement.
  16. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Basketball is my cardio. I love it.
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,529
    In addition to lifiting I run because it helps me lose or at least maintain weight. I know diet is the biggest key so I have worked on and gotten better at consuming less, which I have definitely seen the results from. But running has helped with that in several ways aside from just burning calories: the first being while I'm out running thats time I'm not sitting around snacking or more likely drinking a beer, I usually run when get home from work and after I'm done I'm typically not hungry the rest of the night and skip or eat very little dinner, and then on the rare occasion I am hungry after a run I'm much more conscientious with my choices as to not waste calories I just burned.

In addition to helping control my appetite, the runners high is always fun. I feel a lot more relaxed especially having burned off excess energy and typically sleep a lot better and or longer which is great for repair/recovery and feel a lot more refreshed when I wake up. I think probably one of the biggest reasons I run instead of doing something else is that I can do it on my own schedule completely independent of anyone else and I don't have to drive anywhere. with the exception of shoes it's free.

I'm not in love with running by any means, so when I dont feel like it I simply don't, but the times I do I typically enjoy it. I was a swimmer in high school and if there was a pool I could get into easily/cheaply I'd definitely add that in as well, but the more complicated/expensive something becomes the less likely I am to do it.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    I just don't see why anyone should feel compelled to engage in an exercise they don't particularly enjoy, especially when it's not a time-efficient strategy for weight control. Running sucks in that and other regards.
  19. ThomasGoldkamp

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Here's my thing, and I do like running for the most part.

I like eating and I like drinking beer. A lot more than I dislike having to run every now and then to make up for it. So I have no problem running. I'd much rather do that than cut back on my diet.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    That is unfortunately not going to work as it's not a 1 to 1 relationship. Running for 30 minutes a day is the equivalent of 3 light beers and 1.5 or fewer good beers. So you really do not have the time to burn off enough calories through exercise to enjoy food and beer without tweaking your diet at some point.

On the other hand you can tweak your diet in ways that allow you to eat and drink the things you like without gaining weight. Its just a matter of finding the right energy balance.