What are the charactersitcs that separate good college coaches from the best?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by philip214, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +803
    Ability to motivate players. One of the best jobs I ever saw of this was Spurrier the weeks leading up to the Sugar Bowl, the 52-20 one. He kept accusing FSU of dirty play and threatening to pull his team if the refs didn't call it fair. During the Tally matchup, he identified TWELVE late hits that weren't called by the refs and show a video of them in a private meeting with the Sugar Bowl refs I believe.

I thought he was whining so much that I refused to watch most of the game. I turned it on late in the third quarter of that very long game when I thought it was near over. Then it was 24-20 I believe.

It kind of reminded of the scene in The Blind Side when the coach stands up for rough treatment by the refs of his star player.
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    College coaches should be ranked in three categories, in my opinion. First is recruiting. As the saying goes, college sports is less about X's and O's, and more about Jimmy's and Joe's. Get the best players and you will win more than you lose. Even Lane Kiffen has a winning record, mostly because he has great talent to work with. And with that said, scholarship reductions have hurt USC, as they have little depth, and any recruiting miss is magnified.

Second factor is scheme and being able to teach either to scheme, and/or the game overall. A coach with a great scheme and decent, motivated players will be a very talented, but poorly coached team more often than not. Many college players are still very raw, and a coach who can coach 'em up will also be a winner.

Third factor is game day motivation and adjustments. If the scheme isn't working, can the coach/assistants make changes on the fly at halftime? If the team is flat, can the coach do something to fire the team up? This is the third factor, because even the motivator/game day coach can't overcome serious talent delinquencies.

Very few coaches grade out as an A in all three categories. Spurrier is a master teacher, excellent motivator and decent game day coach. But he's not a tireless recruiter. Billy Donovan practically wrote the book on how to recruit the best modern-day basketball talent, and he's one of the best teachers in the game. But on the fly, Donovan isn't the first coach you want on your side needing to draw a play, down by 1, with 6 seconds left. But despite their deficiencies, both coaches won national championships, mainly because in the areas they excel, they are respectively one of, if not the best in the business.
  3. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    I think the key is a willingness to look beyond what you're comfortable with, to do something different than what you've always done. That requires being innovative, and creative, and have a lack of fear.

You have to look at where the game is going, and what kinds of things can be done with a specific team to be successful. SOS was innovative when he came to Gainesville and saw the potential of a wide open attack. Meyer brought the spread option -- Kelly perfected it. Saban brought NFL-type training and coaching techniques to college football, and saw a control and power offense could counteract the spreads that had moved into the SEC.

I don't know enough about defense to know what innovations have been made there, but I'm sure there are some. Maybe Miles has done some defensive innovation.

I think you can be a good coach by adopting someone else's style and doing it well. But you plateau -- I think that's the case with Richt, or even Strong. You can be a great motivator or a great recruiter, but unless you're willing to be an innovator with your team and your style, you'll never really be great.
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,435

How about the ability to evaluate other coaches? :huh:
    (You know...just in case you don't know what the hell you're doing).
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,498
    Championships and banners, the only things that matters.
  6. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    That's what losing coaches always seem to say, anyway. The players just aren't good enough.

That, along with blaming execution, are the biggest cop-outs in sports.