What are the charactersitcs that separate good college coaches from the best?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by philip214, Sep 10, 2013.

1. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +592
    With all the great head coaches that have roamed the sidelines at top D-1 programs, what characteristics or information do you use to separate good coaches from the very best?

Win/loss record?

Ability to adapt in game?

Sound, disciplined football? (able to pass, catch, tackle, limit turnovers and penalties)

Recruiting ability?

Able to take a team wire to wire undefeated?--understanding the ability to take 2009 Alabama undefeated is much more of an accomplishment than say last years Ohio State--although going undefeated with any team is a remarkable feat.

Fully invested and committed to their work?

Ability to run a team and manage all phases of the game instead of just one?

For me, it is obviously a combination of the above and possibly some additional features, but if you look at the above, really only one current coach stands out above the rest, and that is Saban. I believe Muschamp could be included one day, but has some faults at this time (omitting going undefeated wire to wire) and that involves sound, disciplined football. Muschamp however has some very strong characteristics including his ability to make adjustments in game, obviously his recruiting, and his investment in his work. Heck, his win-loss record was pretty good last year.

One day in our lifetime, a coach is going to take the Gators wire to wire, undefeated. I truly believe Muschamp, if given the time, will be the guy to do that. Meyer had a great shot with a loaded team with Tebow and Harvin, but obviously faltered against Ole Miss. Meyer would probably fit in there with Saban too although his health/mental issues, including his last couple of years at Florida, hurt him some.

Just curious of this board's opinion on great coaches--since so many of us seem to be great living room coaches.
  2. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +592
    NC wins would be an obvious one too.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    With all the great head coaches that have roamed the sidelines at top D-1 programs, what characteristics or information do you use to separate good coaches from the very best?

That is the bottom line, although there are many factors that affect that. Sometimes a coach could have done a better job going 8-5 against a monster schedule than 10-3 against a cupcake schedule.

Not just a game, but in their entire philosophy. After realizing that the Fun n' gun no longer is effective, Spurrier became a defense-dominant coach, with remarkable success.

Usually a hallmark, but not always. Many of Florida's best teams often led the nation in penalties, or were close to it. Football fundamentals, OTOH, are a requirement.

Absolutely. There is a pretty direct correlation between recruiting rankings and W/L records. those who overachieve compensate by knowing where and how to recruit a particular area, or look for specially their type of players.

Not so much. When Alabama went wire to wire, they only played three teams with 10+ wins - Virginia tech (won 34-24), Florida (won 34-13), and Texas (won 37-21 when Colt McCoy was knocked out early in the game). Circumstances often dictate a wire-to-wire season.

Pretty much, but having more talent compensates for that.

No, but be a CEO and let your coordinators run their sides of the ball.

And Urban Meyer. Les Miles isn't far off.

Hope so.

Wire-to-wire is overrated, unless you are the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers. Meyer went 13-1, winning a MNC with Tebow as a short yardage RB who occasionally threw, and Harvin was pretty much a work in progress. Meyer also went unbeaten at Utah and Ohio State. Not meaning to open up a can of worms, but the man is proven as a head coach.

MNCs are often luck of the draw. The best team does not always get to play in the Big Game.
  4. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Ability to recruit top talent at every position.
  5. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +592
    I agree with your thoughts.

I understand going undefeated throughout an entire season has many variables, but no matter how talented your team and what schedule you play, there is something special about a coach who can do that. What you are saying is, you had your football team focused each and every week and even when your team may have not played their best, you found a way to win. I think that speaks a lot about a coach. How many coaches have lost to a lesser school once during a year? It happens all the time. The ability to have your team focused and prepared every week is a special trait.
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    Add to all that you have to be an intense, ruthless SOB with a win-at-all-costs mentality who instills fear into his players and assistants to put it all together and keep it there like Saban has. Whatever else playing or coaching under him might be, I doubt that "fun" is the first word that comes to mind.
  7. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    BINGO!!! We ain't got it!!!!!!!!:sad:
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    Spureffelbowl, what if the head coach has an OC and a DC? Besies, ther is no evidence to support the assertion that Boom is "shackling" Pease. That is the usual thing fans say when they don't like the head coach. Not many here accused Spurrier shackling Jon Hoke or Bobby Pruett, even those there is every bit as much evidence to support that as there is Boom micromanaging his coordinators...
  9. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    I forgot to add that for what it's worth, the best recruiting tool is sex.
  10. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

Les Miles agrees
  11. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    Boats and Hos

The Nevin Shapiro way
  12. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    Oklahoma State got the ones who were great in bed. The Sooners, well...
  13. Rawpimple

Ratings Received:
    +129
    I think the most important characteristic is to have a name like Dabo.

Also, if you can flash the U sign and walk out of your press conference, you are pretty cool too.
  14. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The definition of a "great" coach will be debated, and there is not one way to be "great" at anything, much less coaching.

To be a good coach you need: ability to teach technique and develop players, hire quality staff and trust them to do their job, organize efficiently, recruit, make decisions under pressure and be strategically smart. The above is necessary to be good, but not sufficient to be great.

Great coaches have all the above plus an over powering belief in themselves and their philosophy. Great coaches can take their players and beat your players or take your players and beat their players. Especially in college, this ability to form a team into the reflection of the coach is huge. There are many reflections of a coach: cold/brutal efficiency of Saban, ruthless flair of Meyer or Jimmy Johnson. But they all recruit good/great athletes and form them into a team that wins.

And that is the second point, great coaches almost never lose by their own hand. You may beat them, but they are usually the ones that get the "lucky" breaks. Hint - winners get more than their share of luck.

Muschamp clearly has a philosophy and belief. He may be deficient in some areas needed to be "good: - ie, the ability to hire and trust his staff or develop players/QB (see offensive malaise as evidence). So I need to be convinced CWM is good before we get to "great." (He is clearly a VERY GOOD Defensive Coordinator and recruiter on D).

The big question is whether he is able to form a disciplined team in his image without choking his asst. coaches, or is he inherently undisciplined himself and his team reflects that?
  15. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I think in the end he'll prove he's a better coach (though not a Meyer or Spurrier level one) but if we're going to talk about W-L record we should note that Boom and Zook are an identical 12-9, through 21 games against BCS conference teams. I think flexibility and an ability to adapt one's system to the talent on hand is a big one- Meyer after realizing Leak couldn't run a pure spread option attack or Spurrier going to the Shotgun for the rematch vs. FSU, the rest of this year will be telling for Boom on that end-- Driskel can't run a pro style attack at a high level is Boom flexible enough to shift our offense to a more spread option based attack with some pro style elements until we get a drop back passer (though Grier is a Spread QB as well, HS teams with good QBs don't generally run pro style attacks as it would be foolish not to take advantage of their talent) or is the offense going to be the same 3 yards and a cloud of dust approach that has led us to a 5-3 record of the last 8 games (2-3 over the last 5 vs. BCS conference opponents)-- teams have figured out how to play our offense (this accounts for the drop in efficency with the exception of the FSU game over the second half of last season), now the question is how does Boom respond- and the answer will tell us if Boom is a good HC who could be great someday or simply a superlative Defensive Coordinator with sublime recruiting abilities.
  16. Rawpimple

Ratings Received:
    +129
    That Spurrier FSU loss where he had Wuerffel beaten like a dog owned by Michael Vick because he was stubborn and refused to adapt in game drove me nuts. Maybe the most upset I have ever been after a Gator loss. Shotgun and/or an extra back to block was the key--the adjustment should have came at halftime, but I am happy we had a chance to redeem ourselves in that one. I always thought Danny should have been able to beat up Spurrier for at least 30 minutes after that game. Talk about tough. That game showed me that Danny Wuerffel played the toughest game a QB has ever played in the modern era.
  17. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +226
    The things not related to the game of football

1. Being a good politician/leader

2. Being a kniving, 2-timing son of a gun (Urban/Saban/SOS)

3. Not settling for anything and not being contempt with anything (again Urban/Saban/SOS).

4. Being in total control without being a micro-manager

5. Being respected almost to the point you are feared

6. Borrowing a line from the movie "Now you see me": being a good magician, and this means always being the smartest guy in the room (with the media, with the players, etc.) and always being 3 steps ahead of everyone else (not talking about Xs and Os that is obvious).

7. Have 1000% confidence in yourself. Never doubt your in-game decisions, your game-planning, etc. Adjust during the game, but never because you doubt what you've done. If you second guess yourself, it will consume you ala Urban.
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,052
    Besides acquiring good coaching talent, evaluation of talent is imperative. I say that the real problem with Meyer at the end of his career here was that he fell in love with speed and the star ratings. I hold up the Tuberville Auburn and Johnson Miami teams as examples of ones who didn't get the 5-star talent but knew what they wanted in players and how to develop their talent. I was always amazed at how Tommy ended up with the kind of running back and DLine players there.
  19. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5

Oh after he called another 4 wide, 7 step drop play and got me destroyed for the umpteenth time I might have taken a swing at the OBC.
  20. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    By way of answering the OP's question I will quote my own infinite wisdom from another thread. :joecool::wink:

In sort, a coaching staff distinguishes itself as a great one by putting a product on the field that is somehow more than just the sum of its parts.