What about Malzahn?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by james8323, Nov 12, 2013.

1. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    And I remember threads last year and earlier this year where posters were questioning why Muschamp wasn't considered a Top 5 coach in the SEC by the sport media
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +457
    No chance on Malzahn. He's riding high on the Plains.

And OP, no need to back into these questions, just man up and throw it out there. There are a whole lot dumber posts than yours.
  3. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I'd love Malzahn, but he's not going to ditch Auburn after one year, which will probably end up 11-2.

As for AU vs UF, UF is a better job if only because you don't have to recruit against Alabama for the bulk of your team.
  4. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
  5. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    This is correct. How can anyone say Auburn is a second tier school. That is about as disrespectful as I have heard. 3 straight against UF .. then what tier does that place us. Sorry Osprey stay in the A-Sun .
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    I know it might rub some here the wrong way, but before I went with Charlie Strong, I'd go with Bobby Petrino. Give him a short leash and lay down the law with him, but hire him asap because the man has success where he goes and he can coordinate an offense.
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    That dude could not give a rats A#$ about the short leash, he would jump ship in a minute for a better gig given the chance. Worse than Saban in that regard.
  8. SadSouthernBuck

SadSouthernBuck Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Frankly I think it would be a mistake. Not that Malzahn is not a good coach but I think the transition to his style would take a couple of years. Would the GatorNation be patient enough after the last three (or 4 counting Myer's last year) and give him time to get his players in place? Think about it....the team would be going from Meyer's up-tempo to Muschamp's ball-control and then back to up-tempo. I'm not sure the roster could handle that transition.
  9. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Ya not only no but hell no. The guy hates recruiting and his defenses have been awful not to mention the guy is just a dirt bag
  10. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    I don't think he would ever get a better gig than HC at UF. Nor can he afford to make this anything but his last stop unless we fire him.
    Not worried about him leaving.
    I would prefer Franklin, though.
  11. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Don't ever sell Auburn short. It is a great school with a beautiful campus and a rabid fan base! They have to play Bama and LSU every year….as well as Georgia, so I don't see their schedule being softer than ours! I doubt Malzahn would even consider UF since he has witnessed the fair weather fan base around here. Nobody wants to go to a program where they will get booted out when half the team gets injured!
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    WE LOST TO VANDY'S FRESHMAN QB.... AT HOME....

Wait, we didn't lose, we got BLOWN out. This is year three, injuries or not, you don't lose to Vandy at home, with their backup frosh qb in..... Oh, and they were dealing with injuries too!

Spin it however you want, that's unacceptable, IMO.
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    The excuses are amazing aren't they? Is Georgia getting blown out by anyone with their injuries?
  14. medigatorx

medigatorx Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Yeah, those Auburn fans aren't fair weather at all. They at least wait 2 years after actually winning something to turn on their coach; they also let him stay 4 years. We're so spoiled here in Gainesville that we turn on our coach 1 year after winning nothing and 3 years of ineptitude. Yeah, no coach would want to go into a scenario like that (well, except Meyer and we know how that turned out pretty crappy.) :roll:
  15. james8323

james8323 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I think I should clarify what I meant by "second tier" school. I should have said more along the lines of "Jobs" wise. There are several schools that have incredible facilities and great fan-bases. What I meant was Florida is a type 5 job in the country. A place where you go to stay, sans Meyer, but that is another story. I would say it's a bit like this.

And these are not in any order.

Alabama
    Texas
    Ohio State
    Florida
    USC
    ND

Auburn is a great school, with rapid fans, but that group of schools is different, IMHO. Of course you can argue for several other schools, but these schools go beyond having a massive national fan base, they have international fans, their logos fly proud everywhere.

That is all I meant.
  16. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,632
    I am still confused how Auburn is not a top job like Florida. Obviously you never been to Auburn, or you might think differently.
  17. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,632
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,600
    I'm sorry, but what makes anyone think Florida is a place you go to stay as a football coach?

I think it could be for Muschamp, because he is that type of guy, and he grew up part of his youth in Gainesville.

We used to have a great, appreciative fan base... like 30 years ago. But our current fan base is a meat grinder. Nobody want's to come here to stay with this fan base. Our own Heismann winning native son got sick of it and left. We're a revolving door destination until we drop the entitled children routine.

I think the best we can possibly hope for if we're successful in running Champ out of here, is another Meyer type run, if we can find another Meyer. They ain't growing on trees, though.
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078

Franklin? No way. I like him and all, but he aint ready for the big time yet.

I mean, we're down to hiring coaches from Vanderbilt?
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,600
    You could be right that Franklin isn't ready. IDK.

But he could very well be the best coach likely to come here, if Champ is fired.

Other than Petrino who many folks wouldn't want any part of due to recurring issues demonstrating a lack of integrity. I'd be one of those many folks that would have a problem with Petrino being the face of our program.

I think Champ should get another year, but if he is fired, I'd be fine with Franklin. He has great energy, has done a great job with Vandy and would represent the university very well.