Welcome back Scottie...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
  2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Boy, from that article, we really have to do some healing up and rehab (both physical and relational) to get our hoped-for team on the court.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    This has been one of the craziest off-seasons I can remember for the hoops program. We are absolutely loaded in terms of talent, experience, depth, and balance, but the roster is darn near emaciated headed into the season due to suspensions, injuries, and ineligibility. Fortunately, it won't stay that way.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    So is it official that Walker would be able to join the team in Jan?
  5. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604
    Middle of December if eligible.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    This team should be deep and determined by January 2014.
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    And that post (unsurprisingly) doesn't even get into the alleged big men suspensions.

Going to be an...interesting roster we take to Madison. Well, that's the appeal of a college basketball season. A few early pratfalls don't hurt that much.
  8. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Maybe the silver lining here could be a team that peaks a little later. Last years team perhaps peaked too early.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Even depleted we will give the Badgers a good game. Our style of O is the one that gives them fits. Scoring from all 5 spots exposes the weakness in their D and I do have to say that if you have to do that you must have a really good O. We are their worst nightmare match-up.
  10. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    I agree. We did peak a little early. If we get Walker in December, its scary how good this team can be.
  11. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    I am excited to see the new guys, especially DFS. If he can be a consistent scorer, I think we can be very good this year.

The other key player for me is Frazier. We need him to return to the form he had at the beginning of last season, which I completely expect to happen.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    I still think his late season struggles were entirely exaggerated. It was more a question of consistency than productivity, to my mind, which is common for freshmen come February. I do agree that he might be the single most important player for us going forward, at least in this sense: for all the 2013-14 team's depth, balance, size, athleticism, and balance, we still are short on perimeter shooters. We lost our top two starting shooters in Murphy and Rosario, we have no floor spacing unless we go very small at the four, we are relying on a pair of threes in DFS and Prather whose only genuine contributions at this level have come at the four, and there is a question as to how effective either of our point guards can be shooting off the high ball screen. We desperately need a consistent perimeter shooter to space the floor a little and take advantage of double teams in the post or teams clogging the lane. Frazier is the only guy I see on the roster who can do that.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Well UF lost Murphy, Boynton and Rosario after last season. So looking at each one:

1. Murphy: Harris is certainly the defender that Murphy was. To me the issue is replacing his offense. My guess is that Finney-Smith will replace his "stretching" of the defense, but UF will still need to generate those 25 or so post points per game. So Young the most polished offensive player of Harris, Yeguete and Young may need to score a bit more.

2. Boynton: Frazier is probably close to his offensive equal. Certainly as good a shooter, but Boynton could penetrate a little. Frazier is pretty much a perimeter guy. Frazier brings surprising rebounding. The big issue is Frazier is not the defender that Boynton was. He has the size and other tools to be pretty good. Frazier or Graham or someone really needs to defend at the SG this year.

3. Rosario: He was out of position so Finney-Smith will certainly be a better defender at this spot. Finney-Smith will also likely be able to replace Rosario's offense. As a Frosh, Finney-Smith was about an equal percentage shooter from the arc than Rosario as a SR.

So since I view UF will be better having a legit SF rather than playing a third guard, it comes down to me to getting enough post offense and someone playing good enough D at the SG. Other players, Wilbekin, Yeguete and Prather, return in their roles. Hill and Walker contributing just makes UF that much deeper. Hill particularly solves the one depth problem UF had last year at the PG spot. Graham developing would be a big plus as the SG spot might be the area of depth concern this season otherwise unless Carter gets healthy.
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    I never really get what people are talking about when they say a team "peaks too early." Barring injuries and suspensions or internal issues, teams almost always improve over the course of a season. You'll see some teams, particularly young teams, improve at a faster rate than a more experienced team. That doesn't mean that the experienced team has "peaked" and no longer improves.

Sometimes it means that the team that looks superior early is not really all that superior, and that the competition has gotten stiffer, or that there later on exists a treasury of tape that teams use to break them down. Again, that team is likely still improving, but it might appear that they're not.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    There's no way to prove it, but I blame that completely on Yeguete's injury.

From the time WY was injured, we never again quite showed what I thought was the best defensive intensity I've ever seen from a Gator team over the first third (or so) of last season (excepting a couple of games over the holiday period when we weren't competing regularly).
  16. wci347

wci347 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    Looks like the starting five will be Hill, Frazier, Smith, Harris and Young.

There will be basically backups only at the small forward and shooting guard positions. Unless Donovan is a viable option as a back up point guard.

That means Walker will be the back up small forward, Prather will have to assume the back up role at power forward, and Graham will have to back up at point guard. Hill and Young will get a lot of early minutes.

We really need Walker in the long run to get on board with the team.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    Not sure I understand this. If you are talking about the first three games, then Prather, Harris, and Finney-Smith are all out due to suspension, but Yeguete should be cleared by then to start at the four and Carter hopefully will be. Graham won't play a second of point. We will use Jr. for a couple of 2-3 minute stretches, then tell Hill to tough it out.

If you are talking about the rest of the season, we will be loaded across the board, legitimately two deep at every position with starting quality players. Almost too deep to establish a rotation.
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    I will be happy to go into battle in the 2nd half of the season with a 2nd string of Damontre Harris, Chris Walker, Casey Prather, Eli Carter and Scottie Wilbekin.
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    Chris Walker won't be 2nd string to anyone.
  20. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    If Yeguete can stay healthy, he very well may be...