Weightlifting question

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by thegator92, Jun 14, 2018.

1. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,513
    My son recently went to the Jay Bilas basketball camp in Charlotte. They had several talks with players about various topics between practice sessions, and at one, a sports training guru was telling players that they should focus on Olympic-style weight-lifting. My son is a rising ninth-grader, and he did say that his advice was meant more for the upper two grades of high school, but everyone is different.

I don't know much about weight-lifting. I read recently with the football program that we we were getting away from the Olympic lifting of the last coaching staff, and several posters had bad things to say about Olympic-style and how it led to injuries. So I want to know if anybody has any experience with this as it pertains to basketball, especially for high school. Thanks!
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,187
    I can't give any insight in regard to the basketball aspect but do know from my competitive rowing days almost 50 years ago that this style of weightlifting is very effective at building strength and endurance but requires careful attention to proper technique. It is very easy to do serious harm to your back with poor posture prior to and during the lift.

My advice would be to be sure your son has a good weightlifting coach to teach him and supervise him if you want him to pursue this approach. Also, emphasize the danger of not using good technique and becoming careless. I know some kids would sometimes not set the weights on the bars properly and the weights and bar went flying.

My inclination for a boy of your son's age would be to do less intensive weightlifting but, again, I am far from knowledgeable about how to develop someone in basketball.
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Ratings Received:
    +10,348
    If he's got the fortitude to stick with the requirements of strength training, he should go for it!!

Train. Eat. Sleep. 3/week.

I'd advocate for him getting a good base level of strength before focusing on Olympic lifts. Something approaching a 1.5x -2x BW deadlift and back squat. He can get there in 3 months at his age. Just follow starting strength or similar type novice progression program that use compound barbell movements: squat, deadlift, bench, press, chins.

If he accomplishes this he'll be far ahead of most his peers. Olympic lifts will be the specialized icing and will help develop explosiveness, but that base is required.

I don't advocate just for the muscle strength, but those three months of linear progression will build/create Neuro pathways, strengthen soft tissue, build bone density, etc. It's really needed, IMO

I'd add that the Olympic lifts certainly carry a higher risk of injury, but that can mostly be mitigated by good coaching and prudence. Remember, the goal isn't to win gold for weightlifting.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,723
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,513
    Good insights, thank you. I had an old set of dumbbells, hardly used by me unfortunately, that he has been lifting lately. After this weekend I found a good deal on a bench and a mixed set of weights to start with. Eventually we'll look into some sort of trainer, because he won't lack for work ethic and I'm sure he'll get into it. Any other opinions about types of weight-lifting?

[​IMG]
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,739
    My experience, and things probably have changed since then, is that train to the sport that you are going for. For instance, heavy lifting may not be appropriate if you are training for a marathon. As well as water skiing. Conversely, light weights and max reps might not work if you are training for World's Strongest Man. In general, light running and light weights work for most everything.
  7. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    Good advice in this thread. I have lifted since 1967 and still do.
    There is nothing more important than form. Without it, the options are wasted energy to serious injury.
    A coach who understands, "first rule, do no harm," is a must.
    Never allow ego to get in the way...that is also a path to injury.

Did I mention, form, form, form?

I still love lifting, despite not being strong any longer. Knowing my weaknesses is a great advantage at my age. Don't Olympic lift any longer as my explosiveness is no longer an issue.
    Though, when my shoulders are okay, I can still drop and do 100.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Given his age and your seemingly lack of knowledge on the topic may I strongly suggest getting a good trainer? Not Devon down at the local planet fitness but someone who is trained and knows what he or she is king and just as importantly what your freshman in high school should be doing.
    A mistake with weights can lead to a loss athletic career. And life long issues. Pay someone for the knowledge they can impart for the next few years and then your son will have a solid base to wok from.
    Just my 2cents freely given. And can be freely ignored!