Weekly Unemployment Claims Soar

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Dec 12, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    But how can this be? Didn't the unemployment rate just drop 3/10 of a percent to the lowest level since 2008? Isn't the economy finally coming roaring back? Aren't we adding jobs at a torrid pace? That has been the regime narrative over last 2 weeks?

Or could it be, that the recent budget agreement did not include more "long term unemployment" benefits much to the dismay of Obama and democrats?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...mericans-applying-for-jobless-benefits-soars/
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,599
    the way the manipulate the numbers makes it hard to ever know the real number
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,702
    In con world, the numbers are real when they are bad. They are faked when they are good.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Numbers will be real when President Pinochio is out of office. And then we will uncover more lies, deception and theft. And if a pub is elected and god help us, one needs to be, then we better put locks and chains around everything worth stealing as the Obama staffers clear out of town.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,690

Yeah, hold your breath on that one.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,380
    Unfortunately, that's true. As far these numbers, I don't think you want to claim the number for any one week particularly significant, whether they are good or bad. The overall trend is the important thing.
  7. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Those of us who work, play and participate in the "real" world know when chicken chit is being sold as chicken salad. I'm wondering when some of those on the left will finally give up the charade about this Prez. Probably never as long as the federal funds keep flowing.

If the economy is so damn good, I guess we can discontinue QE, right? For my 401 K and retirement accounts, I hope not. But it is a charade.
  8. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    And the trend is that people are dropping out of the workforce at an alarming rate thus skewing the employment numbers.
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Wow you rushed here quickly to share these "faked" numbers, which are highly variable by nature (thus why analysts prefer the four week moving average instead of weekly numbers), and did not post the fake numbers when they were good. I wonder why. That is why you think everything is going badly. You jump all over the numbers that are bad and then ignore the good numbers because they are "fake." This leads to a horribly biased viewpoint, similar to what we saw out of the right during the last election in relation to polling.

BTW, the seasonal adjustments are apparently causing problems with the weekly figures, which is why the weekly numbers plummeted last week and skyrocketed this week. This is of course far different than the far more reliable monthly numbers.
  10. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,537
    There is rarely one Labor Department info release that is NOT followed by the words "unexpected," "surprising" or both. Gives me great confidence in the system and the "experts" involved in analyzing said data. Not.
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,923
    and the overall trend is less than 3% growth and a ever growing number of people not participating in the work force. that is pathetic when the gubmnt has dumped so much money into the system. the current political and regulatory environment is anti-growth and that is why we have the overall trend of continuing demise of this country.
  12. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    MD- Nothing is every as good as it appears and "usually" nothing is ever as bad as it seems. However, with this administration and the media's complete lack of interest in "hard reporting" and investigation of lies and scandals, how would we know? That is why I trust #s I see from "private" companies who do this for a living. I do not trust our government agencies. Why? Who works there? The best and brightest? Paleeeease.
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,380
    that just becomes a blank, meaningless mantra. you don't want the economy do well, so any numbers that way it's doing better are lies ...
  14. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    To be honest--it doesn't matter what anyone in here 'wants'--the only thing that truly matters is what Hussein has done to stimulate the economy....and that answer is zilch. Most inept prez we have EVER had, and yet so many of you still try to defend.

Whether anyone in here wants the economy to do one thing or another is moot--what does happen is what counts. Your boy can't seem to do a damn thing worth a hoot. Sadly--YOU know that as well, just refuse to admit it.
  15. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I'm in business, not retired therefore I'm very much a cheerleader for the economy and growth. And I happen to deal in an area of the economy that prospers when employment prospers. And our clients prosper when the employment is up and taxes remain in check. And our clients also prosper when government spending and borrowing remains in check. And my retirement is more secure when all of the above is true. I'm pretty nervous about the bubble we have created with 5 years of fed monthly purchases. We all should be. For some reason, it feels similar to the dot com era in 2000 or the housing situation in 2006.

That said...I root against Barak Hussein Obama and hope with every fiber of my body, that he fails because his policies reflect an upbringing and mentoring that makes me question whose team he is "really" playing for.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,355
    the figures may have jumped due to people now attempting to start looking for work again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    These are first time unemployment claims, so that is unlikely. In all likelihood, this is just an artifact of the seasonal adjustments having issues around the holidays, with a major drop in first time claims last week followed by a major increase a week later.

However, we did see an increase in the number of people in the labor force in the monthly figures released earlier in December, with an accompanying dramatic decrease in the U6, suggesting that people were moving from discouraged workers, out of the labor force, and unemployed categories to employed in the past month.
  18. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Virtually every president since Reagan has adjusted the definition of "unemployed" to leave more and more people out of the description. People who aren't looking for work aren't counted. People who haven't had a job in a certain amount of time are not counted. If Obama and the democrats were smart, they would not get too excited about small numbers of new jobs. People who had stopped looking for a job will start looking for one, or people who got fed up with one job will quit and look for another, and suddenly unemployment numbers go up again. It's a buffering effect. The democrats may have tried to hide the real number of unemployed by expanding food benefits so these people DON'T start looking for a job. They made it easier to be unemployed and out of the job picture (and not counted for unemployment).
  19. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Got a link for this? I'm guessing you don't.
  20. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/businessdesk/2010/06/do-federal-statistics-mask-the.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-12-28-1Ajobless28_ST_N.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment

http://useconomy.about.com/od/supply/f/unemploy_define.htm

Basically, we didn't always have U-1 through U-6. Now we do. Unemployment is determined by a survey sample. The questionnaire underwent a significant revision in 1994, under Clinton.