We wanted a pro style Offense and we got one

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Good Lord! Its always the receivers fault......we have studs...they are just not being thrown to or played regularly for that matter...
  2. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I'll admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable football fan out there but when I think about this it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Are you saying that we need bigger, stronger, faster guys now but we needed smaller, weaker, slower guys to run the previous system? Isn't a talented player a going to produce in any system? How many guys has Muschamp recruited that Urban Meyer would've passed on because they didn't fit his system?

Or are you just saying that the Gators lack talented upper class men?
  3. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Driskel was recruited by Meyer to run the spread. Is it any surprise that he's struggling with the ersatz "pro style" offense the Gators have now?

The Gators managed to keep the game close with their defense because, well, Miami is not that good of a team. If the Gators' offense plays like that against LSU, UGA, SC, etc...they will get killed. If UF somehow by a cosmic miracle reaches the SECCG, Bama will lay a beating on them the likes of which you will not often see. It will be like ND all over again.
  4. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    You do know that we threw the ball 33 times yesterday, completed 22 of them for 297 yards, with Dunbar going over 100 yards in receptions, right?
  5. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    The bottom line is this... We lost 1 game by 5 points and this entire board melts down. We're arguing about what is and what is not a pro style offense. Really?

JD was 22/33 for 291 yards, which I believe is the best statistical performance of his career. Yeah, he made some very crucial mistakes but half of this board is calling for his head and stating he hasn't improved at all? What game were you guys watching?

The other half of this board is calling for Muschamp's and Pease's head. We had 414 yards of total offense and 38 minutes of possession. Hardly non productive and without a doubt better than any other offensive output we've had under this regime.

It was the 10 penalties and 5 turnovers that lost this game. Those things can be and must be fixed. But we are hardly at a point where people should be fired.

So let's everyone put down the guns, back away from our ledges and chill out. It was game 2 of the season. Let's see how it plays out.
  6. TampaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Yes, we get all that. The problem is that this offense is not the kind of offense that can play from behind well. If we get an early lead, our D can win the game for us. If we are trailing, it becomes much more difficult to win. This isn't the explosive offense we had under Meyer. I actually miss that offense.
  7. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Look, we are what we are for whatever reasons. I highly doubt Muschamp hired a guy from Boise State to run a boring pedestrian offense. There are reasons that we aren't an explosive offense right now and I just can't buy that it's because WM doesn't want one. From what I see, we don't have the players in place yet with enough experience to run an explosive offense. It isn't just Driskel or just the receivers, it's both. But you can't say that they both didn't look better equipped yesterday than what they did all last season. They did. It's the self inflicted mistakes that we must eliminate. And I believe that if we can do that, then this offense, both in style and production will grow, become more confident as a group and we'll be just fine.
  8. TampaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +633
    I sure hope you're right.

You know what would make me feel better? Beating Tennessee...by a LOT.
  9. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Agreed!
  10. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Come on, it was an unranked cane team we probably should have been able to beat with our 2nd team. That's why people are pissed. Also remember alcohol, anger and message boards are typical of what you will see here after a loss like that.
  11. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    LOL!

I will stand by what I said that our real problem is our propensity for self destruction. That's what lost the game yesterday. And I mean that not with just the player but the coaches as well. If we fix that, we will be just fine. If we don't, we'll continue to lose games.
  12. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Bahahaha!!
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    And Chris Leak was recruited by Zook to run the pro style...yet Meyer won a national championship with him.
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Where were all these beatings last year during the season? The defense playing great combined with the offense holding the ball will result in close games. Bama plays like it did last week on the oline they might not score a point vs our D.
  15. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Not running the spread though. If you remember our offense struggled all season while Meyer tried to force Leak in to his system. And as the season went on, we ended up installing a FB and a TE. And by the end of the year, we resembled nothing like what we ended up looking like once Tebow took over and the offense exploded in our last 3 games once it was designed around Leak's strengths.
  16. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    How many recruiting classes has he had so far?
  17. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    Exactly, Leak didn't fit the spread, so Meyer CHANGED his game plan. I do not see our game plan changing to take advantage of the strengths of what appears to be the only D1 QB on our roster this year.
  18. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Well the other issue in play here is Meyer inherited a far better team from Zook than what he left Muschamp.
  19. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    That's not completely true. He left CWM some great talent on the defensive side of the ball, a few solid offensive players, and a locker room that was totally f@?ked up with bad attitudes and out of control players! We lost a lot of players to transfers and dismissals, some damn good players with issues.

Everyone knows Meyer lost the team, the players didn't respect him as an authority figure, they knew that they would play regardless of their off field issues/arrests etc.

CWM cleaned house and it has hurt the depth/numbers on our team. We were down a whole recruiting class after year on due to this attrition.

This makes our situation a little different than Saban's and Meyer's. much like coming off probation where you lost 15 scholarships.

This why is is going to take some more time to fill up the roster, it's why we have some guys aren't going to see he field.

I'm surprised so many of you don't remember this, but remember every detail of SOS's early years like they were yesterday!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!