We...still...control...our...own...destiny

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by EZE2005, Oct 12, 2013.

1. EZE2005

EZE2005 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    This loss sucks, and leaves me scratching my head at a lot of things. That being said, our schedule looks so much more favorable now:

1) Mizzou minus Franklin --> coming off huge emotional win --> will be higher ranked than us in polls --> good underdog game for our team. You got to love this setup here.

2) Georgia just looks horrible. Who knows if Gurley will be back, and if so, whether he misses a beat, but I don't see how we lose this game.

3) South Carolina will be our season.

Through these crappy losses, good things happen. We have been clamoring for Taylor and I think he did great. He has that burst that Jones and Brown lack. He should be starting RB moving forward. Ride with him.

Along those same lines, its nice to see Demarcus and Ahmad get the ball thrown their way. Hopefully this is the start of increased involvement in the offense.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,311
    Solid post and rep...we need to look ahead now. Still a LOT of games left to win.

We played a damn good team today and have NOTHING to be ashamed about.

Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    I agree, we still have a very good chance to win the East...

But our offensive line isn't going to allow us to beat a team like Bama in the SECCG. I think we could still beat LSU in a rematch, as the game won't be in their house, and we still were in the game late despite our line.. But I really think it's going to be Bama in Atlanta.

Some how, some way, we need to improve on our offensive line, but I don't think it's something that can happen during the course of a season.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036
    Sadly, South Carolina looked good today.
    If Gurly is healthy when we play them, it may be a tough game for us to win. We simply aren't the same D without Easley.

We need to win next week and go into the off week and heal up and beat UGA. I think we will. That South Carolina game looks large.
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Tomorrow I will agree with you...

Today I am disgusted by the loss. There is no reason we shouldn't have won today. The defense played well enough for us to win. I will give them a little demerit based on the 3rd and 17 they let us that led to the TD. No excuse for that and we might have won if it didn't happen, but they played well enough to win.

The bottom line is that we aren't a Championship caliber team this year. We have a lot of talent. Some of it is untapped. A lot of it is under-utilized.

I'll be in Mizzou never week cheering like crazy and thinking we still have a shot at the SEC crown, but part of me will still be pissed with our 2 losses thinking that we should have beaten both of them.

Go Gators!
  6. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    They did look good today, but conversely, looked AWFUL against UK. It's a winnable game, but if Clowney wakes up and plays in that game, I'd be very worried for Murphy's health and well being.
  7. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    We...still...have...no...OL.
  8. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    Murph needs to get back his confidence and throw the ball a bit earlier, trust his receivers will get to where they need to be, instead of waiting.

We saw a glimpse of it on a series of passes late in the 4th, and they worked, though Murph miscalled the play a couple times and hit his receiver in the back... but he'll get that down.

We hold L$U to 17... doubt anyone will do that all year.

We even have a FG kicker! Hallelujah!

All focus should go to the offense now. the peices are there. Need to start taking our weapons and actually start firing them now.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    And how do you expect Murph to have any time to throw to use these weapons?
  10. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Its Def. wide open...Shoot, Aub. might beat Uga at home.Cocks at UT this week.
    The winner in the East might have two loses.I do think Mizzu is out of it with their QB out for the year.They have UF/SC/UT/TEX A+M/ Ole Miss left.
  11. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    I like your attitude and I was thinking the same thing earlier, but let's be honest. This team isn't capable of doing anything vs the west even if we do go to the SECCG. It feels like our entire offensive unit is light years from even being respectable.
  12. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    He too often is holding the ball too long -- waiting for his receivers to get open, instead if trusting them to be where they need to be and releasing the ball earlier.

In the 4th, you saw a series of passes where he just flung the ball around, and there were completions everywhere (except a couple where he misread the play call and hit his receiver in the back... but he'll overcome that.)

Not saying the Oline was not atrocious and at fault often. Some of the sacks were plain bad blocking or blitzes not picked up.

But a lot of the short passes were not called plays, but checkdowns when Murph stopped waiting for his receivers to 'get open'. If he didn't toss to the short guy, he took a sack. He needs to throw to his man and let him make the catch. Great receivers catch the ball with a defender on or near them -- ours are that good. Murph needs to trust them to do that. That will not solve the oline problem, but it will help.
  13. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    It's a long time between now and mid December. Our team can gel, Murph will grow more confident, and injuries could play a role on other teams like its hit us (already seeing that with Mizzou's QB).

So never say never!
  14. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    +1
  15. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +537
    This is why I have really tempered my expectations for the season. It's not a doomsday scenario, but I don't see us winning out either. Shame because I think Murphy could do a lot of damage if he had some time to work.
  16. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    Six games into the season, it was nice to see Taylor, Fulwood and Robinson on the field in crunch time.
  17. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    I believe Murphy will lose confidence each time he gets swarmed. He has no chance back there.
  18. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    We have played 2 ranked teams the 1st six games and lost both.(away games)
    4 of our next 6 are ranked.....3 of which is away from the Swamp.
  19. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Boom is 4-8 against the ranked teams so far.
  20. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    Our offensive line isn't good enough to win a lot of big football games. We're going to have to go away from the trench war games if we want a shot at an SEC title.