We should go back to the spread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFFL, Nov 30, 2013.

?

What should we do with the offense?

1. Stick with our philosophy

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Switch to the spread (or spread option)

54 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Switch to something else

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Are we in fact doing that?
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    I don't really care what offense we run, so long as it's effective. And I don't think it needs to be a wide open offense that scores at will. We just need to have a good solid offense that can score 35+ points per game and can run the ball when needed, to rest the defense. That would probably be roughly a top 25 offense. With even a decent offense, our defense probably would have been top 5 in the country this year.

Our defense only gave up 35+ point twice this year (Mizzou and FSU) and probably wouldn't have given up 30 if the offense had kept us in those games. With an offense that averages 35+ points, we'd probably win 10+ games every season. I might even go so far as to say that if we had an offense that scores 30+ points per game (that would rank about 60th), our defense might be good enough for us to win 10+ games a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    In fact, we are I believe
  4. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,739
    Good point.
    In fact, its getting rather boring.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,458
    We very well may be "spread". IDK.

Not sure we've seen any specific comments on what changes we'll see in the offense, other than uptempo, and an OC who will drive for perfection in execution... which is sorely needed, no doubt.
  6. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    The spread is not an offense that the skill position players memorize. They must learn the concepts thoroughly and how to read and react. That is how Auburn's HBC took an UGA defensive back and made him a QB playing for the National Championship. To me, Auburn, tAm and Clemson accomplish more than the sum of their parts - by their hurry-up versions of their spreads. I would hope Driskel is ready for a change and Grier has camped with the new OC and seems thrilled he has been hired. I think WM could have hired the band director and end up with improvement over this year's offense.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  7. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    At this point I am tired of the spread versus pro-style discussion and I just want to see the OC mold an offense around whatever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team talent the Gators have at the time (to cover for injuries and suspensions), and I want the offensive coaches to call whatever hell kind of plays during the game that score at least one more point than the opponent (preferably at least 21 per game, based on 2013 results).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    A good coaching staff runs an offense that suiits players. When you recruit players they need to fit the mold of what you're trying to do. We had several top TE's on the team and they rarely were ever used (?). Our Oline did not provide good blocking for a pocket QB. Driskel would excel as a read option type QB and using the TE's and RB's as extra receivers would open up the offense. The hell with old man No-fun-league football...college fans don't like that very much.
    Use the tools in the tool box because if you don't we'll have another not-so-good year in 2014.
    • Winner Winner x 1