We played UNF really fast.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by corpgator, Nov 8, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Billy's teams generally play very slowly. Our pace last year was just under 63 294th in Division 1.

We just had 75 possessions in that game. If we keep up that pace, we'll end up 1st in the nation. I wonder if Billy decided to just let our athleticism beat them.

Defense was decent giving up .92 points per possession. Offense was pretty poor, 1.03.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    We generally play slowly? Last year, yes, but in the past we have pushed the tempo a great deal (though I have no clue how that bore out statistically).

I suspect the preponderance of fouls and turnovers had something to do with the pace today. Both create more possessions, especially if they come early in the clock or on transition plays.
  3. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Does the points per possession count fts along with made baskets or just points off of made baskets.
  4. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    It counts fts.
  5. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Possesions are FGA's - ORB's + TO's + (FTA's * .475). I did .5 for free throws because I know we had an and one but also 1 front end miss of a one and one.

Both teams had 75 possessions.

You may think we push the ball, but it's just a biased perception. We've been outside the top 100 teams every year under Billy. The fastest year we've ever had (at least from 2003 on since that's as far back as Pomeroy tracks) was 06 at 68.0 possessions per game, good for 112th the nation.

The past 3 elite 8 teams have been very slow, none above 235th.

Turnovers were about average this game. Free throws were high for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Pushing the ball is not a "biased perception," dude, it has been Donovan's strategy since he got here. You know, the whole ball action in transition thing he has perfected where he teaches guards in transition to have action on the ball toward the goal and if it is cut off to move it back to the perimeter for more ball action, with wings taught to space the floor from the arc rather than fill the lane. That may not necessarily result in more possessions since we run a pretty disciplined half-court offense, but it certainly is "pushing the ball."
  7. clt_gator

clt_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I was at the game. Uuuuugly. We are going to get smoked @ Wisconsin without Wilbekin & co.
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    We get two back which should help depth, defense and size. Losing Scottie hurts, as our two point guards are new to UF and our system, but helpful to get them early playing time. I think we will be a very good team by year-end, especially if our 5 star is able to enroll in January. We beat Wisconsin in my opinion.
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    So, this is two games in a row where the Gators were hurt by opponents ability to hit the 3-point shot almost at will.

Interesting that Frazier played so much and so well, while Carter, Yeguete and Young were far less influential than one would expect.

Hill played better, but he has a long, long way to go, and Graham was largely non-existent (Hey Bullis, I thought this was your guy in this class).
  10. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Who are the two we get back for Wiscy? Harris and Finney-Smith?
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    To be fair, we were outstanding in the first half against the three until the very end, largely because we were playing a small, makeshift unit that was out of place often. It was a similar story in the second half, though we struggled at the end with mostly regulars.

12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Bias was probably not the right word, but we definitely slow it down a lot more than we used to especially for possessions toward the end of the game. Hey, it's successful, but maybe we'll be out and running more.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Yeah, sorry if I responded curtly. I am in a pissy analytics mood after the Rox made Steve Blake look like Steve Kerr last night.

We have added a ton of different screen actions to our offense in recent years and I think that may have something to do with the slower place. Another thing is the lack of a transition point guard. Walker had great speed in the open court, but his size prohibited him from finishing or finding his shooters sometimes. Hill is different altogether. Maybe the best baseline-to-baseline one we've had since Williams. I suspect he has the green light to push the tempo.
  14. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Yeah, that was brutal last night. Howard is doing his job on the inside, so it's surprising what's happening with their perimeter D. Maybe they need to consult with the hedgehog to see how he did it in Orlando with Howard and 4 stiffs on defense.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    The last shot looks like it was Howard's fault on the switch, but at any rate I think they are dealing with a roster that has two of its top four players--and its two best defenders--playing the same position in Howard and Asik. They will get better as they develop some more familiarity with one another defensively. Until they make the move with Asik, though, I suspect they continue tripping over themselves.
  16. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Yeah, they're trying to split up the minutes as much as they can, but that's tough when you want one guy to play 40. Any idea yet who they're trying to move him for?
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    Nobody. Same roster for wisconsin, then we get those two back. There's another thread about it
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    In the game thread yesterday, there was some teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling over Donovan leaving that small makeshift lineup in to close out that first half, allowing UNF to get back into the game. I believe Donovan knew exactly what he was doing with that. He wanted the guys to struggle a bit so that he could make his point better.
  19. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I certainly hope so!
  20. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    agreed....something BD does every year.

beats them down all year and builds them up come tournament time.