We Played LSU W/out Top Player at Every Off. Position Group

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by qwghlmgator, Oct 14, 2013.

1. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    I just posted this in another thread, but think it's something we all need to keep in mind.

We played almost the entire LSU game without:

1. our best downfield threat and record-setting kick returner (after his best Spring and Fall camps),

2. our QB. The guy our playbook is built around and who got the lion's share of Fall camp snaps to be replaced by a guy who, while good, is a step down.

3. arguably our most important offensive lineman, leaving us with an OT spot we have no one ready to fill (and hence are playing a guard there). A loss LSU exploited.

4. our top running back (not to mention one of our top receivers), leaving most of those carries to a truefreshman who, while talented, is shaky in protection.

So that means we played LSU without our top player at every offensive position group. Think about that for a second. If you had been told that going into the season we would play LSU without all those guys, who would've predicted we'd look any way other than sputtering and mistake-filled? What team can suffer that kind of attrition to their offense and not struggle to move the ball?

Maybe instead of crucifying everybody, we should congratulate them for the tenacity they've shown in overcoming incredible adversity.

Regardless, anyone teeing off on the coaches or offense in general need to constantly keep this in mind. To do otherwise would not be fair to the Gators.
  2. Lovely1

Lovely1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Well said!
  3. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    Man down; Man up.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  4. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    This is a gross exaggeration.
  5. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I'm just going to enjoy the season. My original pick for this team was finishing 9-3, and that was before losing like almost half of our starting lineup.

A lot of what happened on Saturday had to do with LSU just being the better team on the field. They are an extremely talented, athletic team. I don't really know whether or not Pease is to blame, Muschamp, or the players. We don't have enough inside info to determine how much Muschamp is trying to impose his philosophy on what Pease is doing every week.

Time will tell whether or not we're on the right track. People aren't going to be happy, though, if we fall to Missouri next Saturday; Florida should win this game. It'll be a bad sign if we go up there and struggle to execute offensively. We should also at least beat one of Georgia, South Carolina and FSU. We're good enough to beat at least one of those teams.
  6. prisch1

prisch1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I do not intend to demean the players not playing, but let's keep this in mind

1. WR not in there--barely played for this staff last year--despite us needing a home run hitter. Has generally struggled with injuries. We all hope he would play like a 5 star recruit, but he had never proven that ability at WR.

2. QB--well I think most everyone believes the backup is better and gives this team a better chance to win--remember after the UM game it was the turnovers that cost us--no turnovers this game.

3. RT--a loss for sure, but not an All SEC player. I would rather have him, but he's been gone the entire season.

4. RB---would rather have him, but had not shown anything to make us think we are appreciably worse at that position without him. In fact the guy that played for him sure looked to me to be as good, if not better.

Now you want to talk about Easley---yes--enormous loss. But the guy's not there on offense--that didn't make a difference.
  7. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    Tyler Murphy is NOT a step down. I agree with the rest. Tyler is a step up.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    It is. We had a lot of important players down but it's simply untrue to say "every" position.
  9. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    The loss of Easley meant more than any of that.
    A dominant DT can make a defense. You think they run all over us with Easley.
    Do you think we fail to record a sack with Easley?

Regarding the players you listed.
    I think you could argue the dropoff is negligible if there is any at all to the backups.
    More excuses for an inept offensive gameplan.
    Can you imagine what Jeff would have done if faced with that amount of pressure?
  10. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +169
    We lose five of the best players on our offense and we're better for it. Huh.

I thought the game was played in Baton Rouge, but apparently it was played in a dark Bizzaro-Rouge unfettered by the dictates of logic and reason. A world where up is down, good players suck, coaches actively work to sabotage their teams by sitting the true talent, and guys who under three different coordinators couldn't beat out two freshmen, a TE and a wide receiver to get a single snap at QB are actually the second coming of Joe Namath.

Bath salts rock! WooooWeeee!
  11. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Would love to hear how many points you think we put up with Driskel, Debose, Jones, and the Olineman?

And then we will see who sounds like they are on bath salts
  12. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +169
    Didn't say every position. Said every position group. OL, WR, RB, QB.

However, that avoids the point. How good is an offense that loses five "important" players supposed to be? Is it supposed to not miss a beat? Is it supposed to fall off but still be good?

Conventional wisdom would say that offense would not be nearly as productive. I think we all agree that it should have performed better than it did Saturday. But our judgement of that performance should take the amount and severity of those injuries into account. What would be an F for a healthy offense would probably be a C for a decimated one.
  13. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +169
    You say there's little to no drop off? Let's look:

Debose: Do we have a deep threat at all now? No. A dangerous kick returner? No.

Green: Do we have an effective back up? No. We're playing a guy out of position there.

Jones: His carries will now go to a true freshman who showed how shaky he is in protections. Or a walk-on.

Driskel: Relative abilities aside, we lose 17 games starting experience and replace it with a guy who'd never thrown a pass.

Game. Set. Match. :hairy:
  14. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    I never want to see players get injured, and it is unfortunate that Driskel got hurt.

That said....Tyler Murphy is a step up from Jeff Driskel and is the best QB we have had since Tim Tebow led the team in 2009.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    And you don't think it's a stretch to say Debose was the top player in the WR group?

I didn't argue this. I think with each successive injury our propensity toward mediocrity grows. That said, we have been offensively mediocre for some time now.
  16. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Maybe an overstatement; and teams that use injuries as excuses are losing teams. On the other hand, when fan forums start ripping the coaches for everything from bad recruiting, to stupid play calling, to pissing on the locker room floor, it is well to have some perspective on what the coaches are dealing with.

Prisch1, your reclama is more over the top than the OP. Whether you accept it or not, the offense lost three expected starters; 4 if you factor in the TE. The line has been a patchwork from the first game. I hate to burst the bubble, but despite what "most everyone" says, JD has a much greater up-side than does JM. Feel good story notwithstanding. Yeah, he threw some bad ints (one on the play in which his leg was being broken) trying too hard to make plays, but he was also completing over 2/3 of his passes; and if nothing else, we lost the read-option that kept defenses honest in the running game.

One of the strangest charges that has been leveled against Muschamp is that he recruited poorly for three years. Anyone paying attention knows that in 2011 he more or less had to take whatever the "tuned-out" departing coach left on the table. In 2012, he started the rebuilding. Even then he had to bring prospective recruits to visit a locker room that was toxic--if every report is to be believed. This is his first year of recruiting without the legacy of the past regime.

I have stated, and firmly believe that next year is the first year that Muschamp can be fairly evaluated.
  17. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The offense was bad even with those players which are not as important as you claim.

Debose hardly had any impact on the offense his entire time here...miss him as kick returner..give you that.

Green is not even close to being our best lineman...he played poorly last season.

Murphy is at least as capable as Driskel...don't see any drop off there and you could argue it actually is an improvement...Murphy has yet to stop any opposing team points.

Jones never really established himself as the #1 on the field...he was named #1 before the season started, become ill, came back and then sort of disappointed. Taylor looked by far the best of the three running backs.

The only injury that really has made an impact so far if Easely's..He was a difference maker....the ones you named (actually you didn't) were role players at best.
  18. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Georgia is without their #1 and #2 RBs and their top three WRs and they're very thin on the offensive line. Yet they have no trouble scoring more than 6 pts.
  19. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +100

To be fair, we should wait and see what the Gators can do on offense vs Mizzou.

But, yeah I'm disappointed the gators only got 6 points against LSU, while Miss State got 26 against them two weeks ago.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Green was a huge loss it took away a starter and hurt depth at a position we could not afford.

Taylor looked good running the ball but it wasn't something phenomenal and his pass pro need improvement