We might be moving to the Gainesville/St. Augustine area..

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Apr 25, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    My question is, where is the best baseball for my son if we do move back down? High School ball, maybe travel.

Thanks
  2. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Public or private? And Gainesville - St. Aug covers a pretty big area. Which city are you looking to reside in (for high school purposes)?
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    I will actually be commuting to both Gainesville and St Augustine. So to me it would be easier to live somewhere in the middle if that makes sense. It would be public and i would prefer great academics as well.
  4. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Ok - I used to coach and teach in that general area so here's what I can tell you about it. First, other than trees and lakes, there's not much between Gainesville and St. Aug. That's basically Putnam county, which has only 1 high school - Palatka. They have had decent teams in the past, but they aren't very good right now and I wouldn't recommend the school itself.
    St. Aug is in St. Johns county, which is a Top 3 school district in the state. St. Aug High and Menendez are both down in baseball right now, but pretty good schools. Nease, which is about 15 mi. north has a good thing going right now in baseball and is a good school.
    Back in Gainesville (Alachua) GHS and Buchholz are usually decent in baseball, though GHS looks to be down this year. Buchholz is a solid program and a good school. I can't think of any other baseball programs in that area that are any good.
    In Marion county (south of Alachua) North Marion has a good program, but is a mediocre school. Excellent coach though. It is in the extreme north end of the county and is a quick drive up to Gainesville. Forest High is in the middle of Ocala and is a good school with a good baseball program. But, it is a bit further from Gainesville.
    Clay High School in Green Cove Springs has a good team and is a good school. It's halfway between, but also farther N than St. Aug or Gainesville. The other schools in Clay are farther out of the way.

Lots of options - just depends on where you want to live. None of the schools I listed are abysmal programs that will never be good. I would definitely pick based on the school itself and the baseball thing will take care of itself. If you want to get an idea about the school you can use this link to pull up the School Grade. I wouldn't go solely on that, but it's a decent indication of what the school is like.
    http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/
  5. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I have been gone way too long to comment on most of this but I do know Putnam still has three high schools--Palatka, Crescent City and Interlachen. You also have Keystone Heights in the general area as well as Starke.
  6. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Yep, you're right about Putnam. Not sure how I missed Interlachen with all the times I drove through there. The other two are 2 of many in the area that I didn't include b/c they just don't have very good programs. If anyone knows of any up-and-coming coaches that are turning programs around at some of these schools please share. I'm not near as plugged into the scene as I used to be and I don't know many of the newer coaches.
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    Thanks guys. The school is more important. He wants to play for Sulley.