We have become the bullies of the pits

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Oct 6, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Our backs on both offense and defense are doing a fine job, but without our true strengths we'd be a team with a losing record. Critics on the this board are plentiful and are quick to jump on anything they perceive is even the slightest weakness in our line play.

IMHO these skeptics are missing the forest for the trees. Our O Line over 4 quarters have worn down and dominated every opponent we have played. They have given our superb D Line enough chances to remain fresh and energized to beat up offensive lines of other teams.

Do both of our line units win on every play? No. Do they make mistakes? Yes, of course they do. However over the entire game they do a wonderful job of executing on plays and winning on their assignments.

In short and on balance, our line play is among the most physical of the Gator teams I've witnessed in over the 50 years that I've been a fan.
  2. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Agreed. The team is amazingly physical. If we can stop LSU, things get very, VERY interesting. The Dawgs are simply not that good and the Cocks are in disarray.
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    have to be impressed w/ our D's ability to make the adjustments. over the last 2 years, that has to rate A+. gator crowd at the Swamp seems very appreciative of the gator 'D' play. they were amped and went off the charts w/ the pick-six!

O-line - seems like there's steady improvement. I think the oline has been playing a lot better w/ T Murphy at qb. may not have anything to do w/ the OLine but w/ the QB play. getting the ball off quicker, more decisively, etc?
  4. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    I think because other SEC defenses are down this year, that LSU, UGA and USC are going to be surprised when they play ours. As long as our offense stays efficient and doesn't turn the ball over, we have every chance to win every game we play.
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    The O-line has seemingly gotten better throughout the course of each game. They are good, but far from great. When Harrison was ejected last night, the line was a mess for a while. The don't roadgrade everyone like the Great Wall of Florida back in the 80's, but they do a nice job. I'd like to see them open a few more gaping holes for Jones and Brown so they can get into the secondary without breaking a tackle, but that doesn't seem to be their style. Even so, I love the way they play the game!
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    How many injuries did we cause? The Arky QB won't be the same the rest of the season.
  7. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +372
    If we win the East, our line play will be a key reason.
  8. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Arky tanks it now. I think we may have destroyed them :p
  9. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +372
    I'm not so sure that at home Arkansas might not have a shot at beating the Gamecocks this coming weekend.
  10. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Good point! Love the physicality; not that I want to see opposing players get hurt but we were really soft 2 - 3 years ago. We would let (even slow and weak) QB's run on without having to pay a price. I can remember screaming at my TV set why isn't our defense crushing this guy?
  11. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Our toughness quotient has gone up substantially since Will became our coach. We punish opposing players on both sides of the ball!
  12. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Our Dline has been flat out dominant and I expect them to step up another level in the coming weeks. Murphy has substantially helped our Oline improve their pass protection and now the RBs are needed to help the Oline take the next step in the running game.

Overall we are a team on the rise, improving week to week while I sense that LSU and UGA may have peaked with USCe in disarray.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  13. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    We have transformed form the Meyer era into a bully at least defensively, as the OP has indicated. Now we are working on the offense, and special teams. It's a work in progress but its almost there. We still need some OLineman to make it happen and a couple of big receivers.
  14. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    This year the O line has had a chance to come together and develop some continuity whereas last year we were banged up and the Oline couldn't develop any synergy. The new guys on the line have taken a little while to pick up the schemes and work better together. I'l be OK this week especially since it's an afternoon game in Red Stick.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,781
    Defensively, we've been impressive - especially the last three quarters of games.

But so far, we've been very underwhelming in the run game on offense.

Our OL has faced a lot of injuries again this year. Hopefully they can pull things together and start to create a little space for our backs to run to. And our backs do a better job of finding the space that's there and making something happen.

As often as we run the ball, it seems we should be able to get a few carries for KT and Herndon... give them a shot to see if they can find space and hit it. Especially with Jones still not 100% (which seems apparent to me).
  16. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +787
    Thread revisited.
  17. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    not good, very far from "great."
  18. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member