We Are National Title Caliber

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by corpgator, Dec 10, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    By the way, Kurtz played a total of 1 minute. We played with a 7 man rotation and still got them. They played 8 plus 3 other guys who played more than the Colonel.
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    We won the game and definitely have some scary parts that could come together, but I'm not sold on us yet. Kansas really didn't look that good. Neither did we for much of the game. I'll take the win for sure, but I want to see more out of us offensively.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    We're a long way from a finished product, but you could say that about a lot of highly regarded teams like KU, UK, etc.

I think we expected to get off to a stronger start than the others because of our returning experience, but injuries and suspensions eliminated that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,367
    Both teams are coached to play great defense. This is the biggest difference I see with the current Gator team. We play lockdown defense as well as any Gator team I recall. This is a hustling, athletic Gator team that will be best served to win with defense and scoring in transition; balanced by down-low scoring from PY and a few (but fewer than most Gator teams) timely threes.

Finney-Smith was maybe the biggest scoring factor in the first half with his 3s to help the Gators out to their big lead. Wilbekin played a MONSTER 2nd half and held things together to maintain a safe-ish lead. Looking forward to seeing both contribute in all facets of scoring.
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    I won't short sell us but Kansas looked mostly lost and Wiggins is green. They did play pretty good defense though.

As deep and diverse and experienced as we are, Wilbekin is the key to this team. I like what I see. He looked elite. If he can show that in March, with Hill to keep him fresh...
  7. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    No doubt all teams have imperfections, but I'm not sure we showed a whole of national title caliber play last night (yet). Our zone was certainly effective, but you have to believe that most teams would do better than Kansas at handling it.
  8. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I like our defense so far this year, but it doesn't seem to be on the same level as last year's. That team's zone almost looked like man-to-man they would rotate so fast. Statistically, this team is behind that one as well, giving up 0.92 points per possession; whereas last years's team allowed a pretty freakish 0.87 points per possession.

But offense is really where I see our weakness so far.
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,655
    We have a bunch of ingredients that will get better as the season progresses. We have athleticism and decent height across the board. Those are things you can't teach.
  10. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    And most teams don't have a future top ten pick at center who eliminates our driving game single handily. Florida's zone was incredible because it was run absolutely beautifully. Maybe ten teams total could run a 1-3-1 with that much percision.
  11. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    Not in December. The defense will get better. The way Billy works a lineup, it's like our first week out of the gate.
  12. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I don't mean to suggest that we didn't run the zone well, but just that Kansas helped us out a bit there.
  13. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I'm sure they have a great chance to get better. I'm just talking about now, and right now they aren't at the level of the 12-13 defense.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    As others have noted, we have a high ceiling. When we are on, we play some of the best defense in the country and rebound very well.

On offense, we are playing pretty poorly at times TBH, but we have guys that can attack the rim, shoot threes and break down defenses with penetration and passing. I think we'll develop offensively when we get guys playing together, and aren't forced into line ups that don't move the ball and space well due to the roster issues we've had.

But free throw shooting and our focus/intensity for stretches of the game are a big concern in terms of going deep in the tournament. Our defense and winning rebounds and loose balls backslides in a big way at times and we let teams off the hook that we should be finishing. Combine that with weak free throw shooting, and you lose games you shouldn't lose.

That said, we have some good wins already and just a couple of close, tough road losses to very good teams, while playing undermanned.

We should definitely be a factor in March if we can clean this stuff up a little.
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
  16. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    20-1 odds in Vegas this morning. We opened at 10-1.

I like those odds.
  17. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Maybe because this year's team has players playing 36 minutes. This years defense will be every bit as good. We got 4 of the five best defenders of that team returning. Add in Walker is the rim protector we have been missing for a long time possibly. Last night was the best vision of the future of this defense...that zone was run to near perfection. Every easy pass was cut off and the ball always felt pressure, a perfect 1-3-1. This defense is very strong when we have depth I have no issues with it.