we are an average team

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by phideltgator, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    As of the last game, we are a horrible team. Players fighting amongst themselves inb addition to poor stats both offensively and defensively
  2. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Even as we are "free fallin" Jeremy Foley is defending "his hire". After the Georgia game and we are still in our hospital gowns, the Swamp might sink into the ground. Never thought we would sink this fast, probably what they felt on the titantic. With this same group of coaches, next year doesn't look good. OH for the days of Steve Spurrier to Charlie Casey, John Reaves to Carlos Alvarez, Danny W. to Ike, Green and the others, Tebow to Murphy/Harvin. Football saturdays are now freed up to pursue other interests. No QB is going to change this.

Our Enemies are even speaking nice about us. Puke!

I believe Kerwin's legacy was so big, Boom didn't want to be under his shadow. No way our offense would be where it is now. And Don't talk to me about him coaching Jacksonville. Florida has always had good recruits, the better coaches got mileage out of them. Do you think for five years we have performed on offense? Are we last in the SEC in offense now? Our defense with this run of tough games injuries will mount as we don't want to show them anything of offense. Their statistics won't be as good as our defense last year. Last year we had the best defense in the SEC.

Changes to be brought by Boom in the coming weeks, was this leaked from Wiki? Probably just coach speak. Didn't someone say he would run more on 1st down? As depressing as this thought is, I had to laugh. Your probably right. And nobody add what the first three plays will be against Georgia, I can't take it anymore. LOL
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Florida in the SEC:

Category-----------SEC Rank

W/L Record....................T-4th

Total Offense.................14th
    Pass Offense..................12th
    Pass Efficiency................11th
    Rush Offense..................12th
    Scoring Offense..............12th

Average........................12th of 14

Total Defense..................1st
    Pass Defense...................1st
    Pass Eff Def.....................1st
    Rush Defense...................2d
    Scoring Defense...............2d

Average..........................1st of 14

Combined 13 of 28/2 = 7th of 14

We are exactly average, with a very poor offense and still the best defense (even though Alabama's is probably better)
  4. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    I'll bet that all of the posters on this subject were born around the time SOS arrived in Gainesville (or were very young) and therefore have only been Gators during the (mostly) good years. I graduated in 1662 and if we won seven or eight games it was considered a good year yet we were still filling the stands, supporting the players and coaches and having a good time. Today's (supposed fans) jump ship as soon as we're having a rough time and all of this negative noise has an effect on the team, coaches and recruiting . EWe all are unhappy about what's happened but injuries have played a major role with so many key players out of action. So do everyone a favor and keep your negatiivsm to yourself and bite your tongue ...support the team instead of wanting instant gratification. These guys are losing but they're still working hard and need support not back biting!!
  5. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    We are become Texas, destroyer of leagues.
  6. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    '62' hey..cool man. I am '75' and I know exactly what you are talking about. So to us it seems like an average 500 team just like the good old days. I basically have reverted back to that attitude of old myself. No more complaining and just take it all in stride and steady as she goes.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Wow! 1662? Sure you're not a Nole? I mean a REAL Seminole Indian? :laugh:

Seriously, fans are a microcosm of people in America today. History doesn't begin until their conscious recollection, and usually, that is when they are either teenagers or affiliated with a related entity. Most folks who entered the University of Florida in 1990are now in their early 40s. That means a who legion of fans never knew anything about Florida football before Spurrier, and indeed, many don't know Florida football before Zook and Meyer. As such, they lack perspective of what good and bad REALLY is.

It gets frustrating when Gator fans believe that we were mediocre in the 1980s because we were a mediocre program. They weren't around in 1984 when we were battling the NCAA, and they don't remember the sanctions that were imposed on them. Older fans remember the Dickey years. Not all of the were bad (when Gaffney was there, Doug had some decent years), but the impression was that he ran the program into the ground for pell to re-build, and to a large extent, it was true.

In our alumni club, we have a Gator who graduated in the Class of '52. He was there BEFORE the Woodruff Era, and saw everying at Florida for many decades. You never see him get way down when we struggle, because he has seen FAR, FAR worse than what we have now. Generally, those over 50 tend to have less of an entitlement attitude than younger Gators becuase they have that necessary perspective to know what is REALLY good and bad.

Younger fans usually respond to this perspective by saying, "well, you are willing to settle for mediocrity." That, of course, is not true, but perspective gives us the knowledge that it can rebound in time. given our history, I have little doubt that if Muschamp had a loaded, experienced team, Florida will compete for SEC and MNC titles. History tell us that.

If Boom cannot do that, however, he will be fired, and Foley will find someone who CAN do the job of building a program to do that.
  8. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    If you were born in 1662...........................
  9. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    just because fans weren't around during the mediocre years of graves and dickey doesn't mean they should accept mediocre teams like the current team. florida has all the resources and in-state athletes to be putting up top teams every year--not championship teams every year but teams that should be competing for division and SEC titles and not teams that have trouble scoring a TD. Why not use alabama as the team to copy and not be satisfied with 8-4 or 7-5 teams every 2 or 3 years?
  10. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Mediocre 1973 was the most fun I ever had watching football at Florida. Yes Dickey's team was 5-5-1 but we had Nat Moore. I only wish you youngsters could have watched this 180 lb back do his magic. One two three four...give the ball to Nat Moore was the chant and this kid never disappointed. The moves Nat had just had to be seen to believe.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    But we DO compete for SEC titles virtually every year. Teams that only lose two conference games per year are competing for SEC divisional and conference titles. Since divisional play began, we only had five years where we lost more than two conference games.

Five out of 21 years is 80%. That's very high.

And again, when Florida loses 12+ starters, they aaverage 8-4, regaardless who the head coach is.
  12. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    then they shouldn't be satisfied with that, no matter who the coach is. Recruit top players and train them. When starters leave, the backups should step in and play well.
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,009
    EEEEeehhhhhhh, wrong.

It takes time to develop talent. FR like VH3, Janoris, Haden, Harvin etc don't come around often.
  14. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Good logic there. Just goes to prove it's tough at the top. I believe without a doubt, every team on our schedule, play their best game against us so the chances of high speed collisions is just that more prevalent.
  15. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    The offense is not average. It is pathetic. UF beats Miami and LSU if the offense was average. 106th in total offense, 107 in passing offense and 114 in Red Zone offense Blows Chunks! :sick::sick::sick:
  16. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Does the "it's been worse" and "we will be back" line of logic extend to the BIG 10?
  17. starchase1

starchase1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    If a frog had wings.....
  18. altalias

altalias Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    I am not a "real" gator followed them and rooted for them for 50+ years but that doesn't give me a right to complain so I won't. But right now I am looking forward to Billyball.
  19. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    then how does alabama do it every year? they are going for title #4 in 5 years, after losing a ton of talent to the nfl every year.