WC Day 9: ITA-CRC, SUI-FRA, ECU-HON

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014' started by GothamGator, Jun 20, 2014.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Some good matches today.

Noon: Italy vs. Costa Rica - either team can advance with a win, and both would be sitting pretty with a tie (Costa Rica especially)
    3pm: Switzerland vs. France - again, either team can advance with a win, and both would be sitting pretty with a tie (France especially)
    6pm: Ecuador vs. Honduras - both teams are desperate for a win to get themselves back into the race. Honduras is the only Concacaf team without a win so far.
  2. gatorca14

gatorca14 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    That Switzerland-France game is going to be a good one. France has looked great recently but hasn't been tested against top quality opposition. Switzerland has enough quality to cause them problems. Italy and Costa Rica should be a good one. I'm curious to see how Joel Campbell looks against an older Italian defense.
  3. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    I'm pulling for Costa Rica (sorry England), and Honduras....and France > Switzerland.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Italy win--keep the suspense open for that group (and England's hopes alive) for a few more days, anyway.
  4. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Costa Rica!
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Hahahahha. Costa Rica just won the group. So much for the weak CONCACAF.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    I have a good friend from Costa Rica. I am sure that he is smiling right now.

On the other hand my brother-in-law was a National level junior in Italy and he is probably not in a festive mood at the moment.
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +550
    France is slicing through the Swiss like cheese. 3-0 at halftime, and that's with the Swiss goalie saving a PK. Could have easily been worse.
  8. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    France has been the most impressive team thus far but Costa Rica's resume is the best. Chile is right there as well with their plus 4 goal differential.
  9. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Colombia also has a +4 differential albeit against weaker competition.
  10. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +800
    A primitive, simplistic, breakdown by geographic region:

In/Good probability---------------------on the cusp---------------------------------Out

Euro's:

Netherlands------------------------------Croatia---------------------------------England
    France------------------------------------Greece---------------------------------Spain---
    Germany---------------------------------Italy---------------------------------------------
    Belgium----------------------------------Switzerland--------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Bosnia-------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Portugal-----------------------------------------
    Americas (So./No./Cent'l):

Brazil-------------------------------------Uruguay-----------------------------------------
    Mexico------------------------------------Ecuador-----------------------------------------
    Chile--------------------------------------Honduras----------------------------------------
    Costa Rica-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Columbia------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Argentina------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USA------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Africa/Oceania/Asia:

--------------------------------------------Cameroon------------------------------Australia
    --------------------------------------------Ivory Coast---------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Nigeria--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Ghana--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Iran-----------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Russia---------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------So. Korea------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Algeria---------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Japan----------------------------------------------
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  11. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +800
    ^^^overall and percentage wise, the Americas are looking the best imo, though the Euros have a couple of very strong teams in France and Germany.

Of course it's early; lot's of soccer left to be played.
  12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Like how you slipped the US in as probably over Portugal. We still have to play that match, though.
  13. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Grant Wahl has been tweeting what percentage of possible points each region has earned. Concacaf leading the way so far.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    I find myself....rooting....for France. This is unexpected.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorca14

gatorca14 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    They are a really exciting team to watch. Strong in the midfield, aggressive fullbacks, and exciting attacking players. Watching Valbuena, Giroud, and Benzema link up today was a joy to watch. They're quickly putting the demons of 2010 to rest.
  16. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    They play a lovely brand of football. It is entertainment at its finest on a football pitch.
  17. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Well, not necessarily. It's based on trajectory. "In/good probabaility," was based on how they've capitalized (or not) on the opportunity available. US is 1 for 1--3 points out of 3 they could have possibly gotten; they couldn't get any more points than they got, and 85% of teams that win their 1st match, advance in WC. The odds/pobability are simply in their favor. Just the opposite for Port', who's 0-1.

That said, I like US's chances over Portugal. Port'l relies on Christiano, and he appears to be laying another WC egg. So while that wasn't intentional (i.e.--predicting US > Port), it is accurate--I am confident that US will beat Port, with no reservations or caveats.

Go US!
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  18. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    My confidence has been fading every day. I rather fancied our chances after Pepe's red. Then the US looked outclassed for 84 minutes, admittedly against an often disrespected Ghana side that is easily a top 16 team in the world. Now with the German/Ghana draw, Portugal probably feels life making them more dangerous.

I do hope for a W but I am not expecting it. A draw would possibly be sufficient at this stage as 5 pts guarantees passage and it is achievable.