WBB's Mercer Charged with Felony

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by G2MGA, Jan 14, 2014.

1. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Per OnlyGators (not linkable), she was arrested over the weekend and charged with conspiracy to commit a robbery that happened this past May. Not sure what the AD policy is on this, but it's hard to imagine she'll be back this season. Huge blow to the team just when things appeared to be looking up.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. jhsgator

jhsgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    There was a rumor of a womens bball player being charged with a serious felony that was floating around on another board. I became pretty concerned that it was Mercer when she was suspended for the LSU game.
  3. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Looks like we are down to seven players for the rest of the season. What gets into some of these individuals heads? A free ride to a great 4 year university and they screw it up by doing something terminally stupid.
  4. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    The offseason exodus of players that is a yearly occurrence with the WBB team comes back to bite UF again.

You are allowed to have, I believe, 15 girls on scholarship and how the heck has the roster been so mis-managed that UF only has seven players for the rest of the season?
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
  6. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Well, Dimaite was lost for the season to yet another knee injury and Bannister is out with a thumb injury which she may return from. Can't really see that coming. The loss of players at the end of the season or over the summer makes it hard to fill their spots on the roster. Perhaps there should be a open tryout to find a couple of walk ons.

I don't think it is a case of the roster being mis-managed. Players running out on a program after only one season because they are "home sick" speaks maybe more to lack of mental toughness. Perhaps a better psych evaluation of players being recruited is in order.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Sadly this an epidemic in women's hoops. Several teams this year already have multiple transfers. I wish Amanda and others used all 15 ships to help soften the blow but not many coaches use them all. Auriemma usually likes a 7-8 player rotation. We definitely need Bannister back soon. I doubt Mercer will be back period. She already was on a short leash. I can't see Amanda letting her come back from this. The good news is, IMO, she was one of two that I saw as the most likely potential transfers anyway.
  8. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    And unfortunately, she is/was one of our best players.
  9. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    dang it all!