WBB vs #13 UK - 2/9 Noon

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by G2MGA, Feb 9, 2014.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I admit I support Amanda, and hope she succeeds. But then I support all the Gator teams and coaches, and hope they all succeed. I give Amanda a tad more support because she is a Gator too. That doesn't make me a homer, or her bitch, just a fan.

After that bad loss earlier in the year, I was beginning to think she was a goner. Glad to see the team seems to have righted the ship.

Those that want to compare the situation Amanda inherited to what Billy inherited need to rethink their opinion. The men had played for a NC just a couple years earlier. The Mens SEC was a 1 team league.. UK and the rest. No knock on Billy, I think he is great, but UF was in a good spot to take off. Billy was the perfect hire, and the rest is history.

In contrast, the WBB had seen very little success ever (a sweet 16 appearance I think is the best we had had) , and had been on a bad slide for years. The Women's SEC is and has been pretty strong. The WBB team was in the toilet when Amanda took over.

Amanda has been learning on the job. I agree, the transfers have been a problem. But it appears Amanda is focusing more on in state talent which hopefully will help with the "home sickness" issues. IF we can keep the core of this team together with the talent we are bringing in, we should start getting some good traction which should lead to even more success.
  2. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Women's basketball has never been a big draw here. When I was a student back in the early 80's a crowd of 500 was good. Now, a crowd of 1500 is a good days work. The athletic department does what they can; they give away free stuff before every game, they bus in patients from local assisted living facilities to bump up the crowd numbers just a bit. Bottom line is that it is just not that big of a draw. The only game that really draws a crowd is UT. The sport has its niche support group that are there for every game but I do not see us ever getting to the point where the O Dome is filled for every game.
    • Agree Agree x 2