WBB: UF @ UK, Friday 2:30pm SEC Tourney Round 3

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by enviroGator, Mar 7, 2014.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Espn now has us as the second to last team in with FSU the last.
  2. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    They have done that, which is odd because Butler's sorta known for her teams playing hard. I think having a team with so few upperclassmen probably is a factor there. My two concerns have been not usi g enough scholarships. Transfers and injuries are very common in women's hoops for every team, not just UF. Use all 15 ships to absorb those losses better. Had we been using a full 15 even after the transfers from last year and the injuries and suspension we would still have 10 active players right now....which is more than enough this time of year. Take a few projects like Brooksy McGraw for example. I think Amanda is trying to change this part because we are looking at 12 right now (Mercer looking more likely to return than she was previously) and we are still recruiting several JUCO options. The one other thing I'd like changed up is to put a little more emphasis on running a half court offense and less reliance on transition points. Of course having no post players sorta makes that hard.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    All depends on what the selection committee views as important I guess. A few of the teams listed as 1st 4 out have better RPI #s than the Gators do.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html
  4. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Being 5th in a very good conference should count for something.
  5. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    Yeah, the site I was looking at said 8 from the SEC. Don't know how you get to 8 with out taking #5.
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    League play is only a piece of the puzzle, on the men's side Bama Kentucky and ole miss all had better conference records than Mizzou last year, Mizzou got in, Kentucky and Alabama didn't and ole miss only got in by winning the tournament.
    Vandy's RPI is 20 spots higher than ours for example, they played a top 15 schedule while ours was around 50. They have one more top 25 win than we do as well, and beat tennessee who has a top 5 RPI and Dayton.
    Is still think we are probably 70-75% to get in, but just looking at league play is deceptive.

By the way, looked at another site tonight collegesportsmadness.com, they also have us as the second to last team in.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363

Everyone needs to become big fans of Bowling Green and Middle Tennessee State, because both will receive a tourney bid whether they win their conference tournament or not.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    If you take off the orange and blue glasses and look at the team objectively it looks and smells like a fairly typical UF women's basketball team. OOC schedule was weak but it always is. The women typically follow the mens approach in that they were content to mix it up with the other in state schools prior to the SEC schedule starting. The mens team has realized they needed to beef up their OOC schedule and have been doing that while the women have not.

Our talent is OK but not great. Good enough for a middle of the pack SEC school. Their play also resembles what you might expect from a middle of the pack school. Sometimes they play hard and win while other times they just show up and sleep walk through a loss. Is this a fault of the staff? Probably. But with a short bench, it was not like there were a lot of options there. And we usually seem to be a guard dominated team leaving us usually out sized and out muscled in most conference games.

And then there is the 600 pound gorilla in the room, the constant transfers. For one reason or another, good players always seem to leave. This makes building strong team chemistry difficult with constant turnover.

And then there is the community support, if you can call it that. I attend every home game but aside from the UT game, there are never really good crowds. There always seems to be bus loads of school aged children and retirement home residents trucked to the games and coupled with the small core of team supporters you usually get crowds of 1,500 to 2,500. Do the really talented players want to come and play in front of small crowds like these when they can go to UCONN, Stanford, Duke, Baylor, etc. and play in front of really big crowds?

Butler has done a good job with what she has. There are obvious deficiencies in how they are coached to play defense and on offense at times they do things that just make you shake your head. Could the team be better with a different coach? Maybe, but given the local perception of the team and the administration's apparent lack of desire to spend really big money on the program, who is out there?

As for the NCAA's, we will probably squeak in as a 14 - 15 seed and get sent to some far off region to play a high seed. We will be a one and done and everyone will be happy as they can say the we made the tournament.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    I think Amanda needs to "lock down" the state of Florida. I would think that the State of Florida creates enough talent that if we got the BEST of the BEST in Florida year in and year out we could be a top tier WBB school. UF is the premier university in the state, and we should have our pick in a sport where pro careers are not all that likely or rewarding.

I think that would go along way to helping with the transfer issue. So many WBB transfers seem to be due to home sickness. We would have much less of that if the team was mostly Florida natives.

And like EastTN said, we should be trying to fill each recruiting class to the brim to make sure we have good depth even if a few transfer out or get sick.

Anyway, like I've said before, this wasn't a great year by any measure. But with the injuries, transfers, and bone headed arrest, I'd say we did better than I would have expected.

Regarding being a 14-15 seed, unfortunately, with the auto bids, I doubt we could drop much below the 12 they have us currently pegged at without being left out. A 12-5 matchup makes for lots of upsets... maybe we can get lucky and pull off a win. But yes, we are likely going to get bumped in the first round. Sneaking into the tourney isn't a good way to start a deep run.
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Middle Tennessee is winning tonight which is a big help. They are up 16 with 13 left - a win there would keep that a one bid league and not 2 (MTSU is projected as a 7 seed).

ESPN now has Vandy as the last team in and us 2nd to last. Collegesportsmadness.com has us as the last team in, so MTSU winning tonight could be pretty important.
  11. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I can't imagine a scenario where UF is not in... the last 4 in has changed a lot but they have never bumped UF. Finishing 5th in the top conference should be more than enough. None of the bubble teams have the Top 50 RPI wins to compete with UF's résumé. We have 5. Vanderbilt is the only other with that many but we had the better overall record, better conference season, better tournament showing, and much better close out to the season with the head to head victory.
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Women's selection show is on now.
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    A&M and UGA were the SEC teams in the east.
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    LSU and Tennessee in the 2nd region.
  15. G8tr

G8tr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    We are in as the 11 seed playing the 6 seed.
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    UF is in. Stanford regional as an 11 seed. They play Dayton in state college and probably PSU if they win.

Congrats ladies!
  17. G8tr

G8tr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Congrats to Amanda and the team. Hopefully they can win a game or two to get a little experience to build on for next year.
  18. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Congrats Ladies. Making the Dance is a big deal! You have surprised people this year. Let's do it one more time.
  19. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I knew we'd make the tournament but we were given a golden opportunity in our bracket. I definite think we have a great chance to beat Dayton....and though Penn State at PSU won't be easy...it is not an impossible feat by any means.... far less daunting than our last two 8/9 seeds when we faced overall number ones in round 2.... Stanford and South Carolina as 1 and 2 seeds are probably the weakest as well....not sure we can make a run but wow that bracket is ripe for a Cinderella.
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    If the seeding is accurate we were the last team in.
    The other three 11s and all the 12s were AQs.
    Could have been some adjustments for various reasons though.