WBB Season Opener vs Bethune-Cookman

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by G2MGA, Nov 8, 2013.

1. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Watched most of the game as the ladies got the W 93-65.

Some quick thoughts:

--Wow, this team is going to be exciting to watch. I'm expecting lots of games in the 80s this season, with a lot of transition baskets and 3-point shooting in the half-court. Conversely the defense is not that great right now. Lots of open shots for BCU. Hard to really say how good this team can be from this showing, but they'll definitely be worth the price of admission IMHO.

--We seem to be vulnerable to giving up offensive boards in no small part because half the team is leaking out in transition. Will be curious to see how that strategy pays off or doesn't as the season progresses.

--Christen Mercer is out with an ankle injury? So the team is down to 8 players for the time being. Hopefully it is not too serious and she will be back at least by the FSU game in a few weeks as we desperately need the post depth.

--I think Cassie Peoples must have been suspended for the first half because she DNP then came in and dominated in the 2nd half. Very fun to watch. She and the other transfer Bannister both have sweet strokes from 3.

--The 3 point guard lineup with Bonds, Needles and Peoples. Wow, Amanda must have been dreaming about this for years. Wouldn't be surprised to see it quite a bit as the season wears on.

--Ronni Williams lived up to the hype. She had a "quiet" 15 pts (7-9), 17 reb & 5 blks off the bench. Statistically one of the most impressive debuts ever no doubt.

--The officiating. Wow. So many fouls. It may be good in the long run but I have a feeling this basketball season is just going to be painful as the officials call fouls on even the most minute contact. I shudder at the thought of how many free throws will be attempted in SEC games. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the 40s or 50s in some games. Just have to hope our entire 9 player roster doesn't foul out...
  2. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I didn't get to follow this one sadly... was stuck at work. Williams playing so well is great news. Scoring more points than at any time last year tells me the combination of more skilled players and the new offense is going to be fun to watch so hopefully more fans will show up. It should actually improve as well as they get more comfortable in the system. I didn't know Peoples sat the first half.... 12 pts in one half is very nice. Peoples, Bannister, and Williams all excite me. The defense probably will slip a bit because of the style and size of the team. It will get better I am sure but this team is built more to run and score. Svete playing so well is great as well. She is a player who seems to improve every year. It won't be long before we have better tests, but I am excited about this teams potential.
  3. nsbgator

nsbgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    What happened to Sidney __, the girl from Kentucky? Anyone know why she left? Looked to be a terrific player.
  4. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    She had personal issues at home with her family, despite what some here may tell you. The Independent Florida Alligator made some extremely false reports about it being due to Butler. Kenny Kallina also tried to flame it (big FSU fan and disses anything Gatos when he can). They never made a retraction. It was basically a smear campaign.