WBB: Mississippi St vs. UF Jan 2nd, 7PM

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by enviroGator, Jan 2, 2014.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    We have a handful of very anti-Amanda fans. Some of which seem to relish losses and give no positive support on wins. People want to think you can build a championship women's program overnight and it just doesn't work that way. I remember a year or so ago when some posters were saying if Miami could do it then UF could. It took Meier 6 years to get them there and they have dropped off since. We are ranked ahead of them in RPI. Butler has built up recruiting here. Peoples, Bannister, and Williams are elite talents and Miller has proven to be a very good player as well. None of those girls are even upperclassmen yet. They are only going to get better. We also have a Top 15/20 class coming next year with not one but two Top 100 Post players...which is the one thing Amanda has not been able to solidify. Next year Florida will have Dimaite 6'4, Lorenzen 6'3, Copeland 6'2, and I also look for them to try and add the 6'2 girl from Santa Fe CC who is ranked the number 3 JUCO player in the country. We are good enough to make the NCAA this year, but adding some quality post play to our guard play next year will make us dangerous. We also are looking to be in really good shape for 2015. We are one of the leaders for a Top 10 girl from Middle TN and Florida is loaded... we have to be the favorite for Jonell Williams.
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    No, not anti-Amanda fans but realists who realize that we hear the same thing every season at this time of year. UF has gone through a weak non-conf schedule and still has three losses. According to people who no a lot more about women's basketball than myself, this team will be fortunate to win 6-8 games in the SEC which will mean another season without making the NCAA tournament.

As far as the future, keep in mind UF has seen it's top FR transfer out the last three seasons and for whatever reason, Butler can't keep the few top girls she recruits in Gainesville. As far as this year's class, it is a decent group that is noted for the fact there are no Florida signees once again. That has been Butler's problem in that there is a disconnect with between her and the Florida coaches. You say next year is loaded in Florida but not as much as the 2013 class and the only girl Butler could sign was Williams, who was a legacy.

I may be wrong but I just don't see Butler surviving after this year if she doesn't make the NCAA tournament again.
  3. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    I am not rooting against the hoops team but rather just presenting my observations as having sat through every home game so far. For the past couple of seasons it has been the same story; success against lesser talented teams in the pre-SEC schedule followed by a sub .500 conference record. And following the season, it seems that the most talented players transfer away.

Next time a game is on TV watch it closely but don't follow the ball. Watch the movements of the players without the ball and watch how they move on defense. See how often they are caught out of position and commit a silly over the back foul because they are out of position.

I don't know why but we just can not seem to find a decent women's coach. Ross was the best coach we have had so far. An overall record of 247-121 and a conference record of 84-62. Peck was a disaster and set the program back. An overall record of 72–76 and a conference record of 24-46. So far Butler is 129-85 and 43-49 with her best conference record being 9-5. I just don't think she is the answer either.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    If she doesn't make the tournament then she most likely won't be back, but .500 SEC teams are generally in the NCAA and 8-8 is not too much to ask out of this team. If they don't reach that and Butler is let go that's fine, but she still has helped the program a lot. 50% of the roster is Florida girls and next year does have a Florida girl as well.... so that assumption that she signs no Florida girls is incorrect.
  5. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +223
    Great observation.

Think this is right ... we had two girls foul out and 3 with 4 fouls when the MSU game ended. One more girl goes
    and we are playing with four on the floor. Huge help when Bannister comes back ... if she does.

Surely, Amanda could find a capable walk on some place. I bet some of those volleyball players can play BB. Chloe??
    • Like Like x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    I really have not seen much over the top negativity. The problem in the Butler era has been twofold IMO. One is the constant reload/transfer issue..we always seem to be in the young and wait till next year mode, but next year never really arrives ( I will say injuries have been a big factor as well). Second issue is the inexplicable losses that seem to occur every year that totally derail any chance of making the tourney, already have one this year and can't withstand another.
    I believe most agreed that reaching the dance was necessary for coach to be retained beyond this year. I think it is going to be close....hope she pulls it off.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Exactly. I am glad they beat Miss. State as we just can't afford to lose to any of the non-ranked SEC teams, but I am not going to go overboard and say the team has turned the corner when we have seen the same scenario play out every season.
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    I will say this season feels very similar to last season. Records almost identical coming into conference play, probably going to have to find a couple more conference wins than last season, and it is not going to be easy. Didn't win any games against the upper echelon/ranked teams last year, almost certainly have to pull at least one upset this season;.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Who I feel most sorry for is Dimaite. She is in her third year and has yet to play the first minute. Blown out knee at the start of each season. I hope she get to play a healthy season next year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    We have a few that just don't like Amanda. They think Foley should be able to snap his fingers and land the next Auriemma.
  11. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Well, someone from the UCONN, UNC, Duke or Stanford coaching family tree would probably be a good start should the need arise.

Butler deserves every opportunity to prove her worth. But in all honesty, she has not really shown the ability to coach a team that consistently wins. That and the constant transfer revolving door are two of her biggest problems.