WBB: Mississippi St vs. UF Jan 2nd, 7PM

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by enviroGator, Jan 2, 2014.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Stephen C. O'Connell Center
    [​IMG]
    Mississippi St

(13-1, 0-0 SEC)
    [​IMG]
    Florida

(10-3, 0-0 SEC)
  2. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Not sure what to think about Miss St. 13-1 record looks good... but they have played no one. But they have been beating teams up pretty well.

Let's hope the Gators can start the SEC schedule with a W!!!
  3. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    This will be a good test to start off SEC play.... Definitely a game we gotta win for NCAA play. I love the way Cassie Peoples is playing and if Williams can turn that Freshman corner we can surprise some people. The light didn't really go on for Moss last year til really late in the season...we need Williams to make that jump a little sooner. Bannister coming back would be nice too, but still no definitive news on her.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    Okay, this is now or never for Butler. Can't win this game at home we are not going to beat the better SEC teams. This is a must win.
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,255
    Yep, gotta win this one, home game against a solid but not great team. Will say a lot about where they are.
  6. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Our first 6 SEC opponents have 6 non-conference losses *combined*. We'll find out how good this team is pretty quickly.

Pretty solid first half in this one. Up 40-30 and 3 MSU starters have 3 fouls at the break. Our zone defense has actually looked good and we are amazingly outrebounding MSU, whose star center has not scored and has barely touched the ball.
  7. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Nice W to start the SEC season!
  8. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    82-72 win. Have to be happy with that to start SEC play but will need to be much sharper to stay on the court with Kentucky on Sunday. Incredibly ugly second half overall with too many fouls/turnovers/missed layups to count from UF but MSU seemed somewhat resigned and never got within 10 until the final minute.
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,255
    Good win, like I said they had to have it. Hopefully some positive momentum for this weekend.
  10. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Guess seeing the game on TV makes it look better that it actually is. It was a win but I would not call it 'good'. I find too many issues with this team. Too many wild ass quick shots. It is like Butler's offense is grab the ball, drive the court and throw up some wild lay up and hope it will go in. I lost count of the number of missed lay ups and free throws we had.

Williams fouled out again. She just does not have a clue yet. Too often she fronts the player she is defending so they throw the ball in over her head into the paint and then she commits an over the back foul.

There were lots of occasions where Gator defenders were out of position and they commit a silly foul, mostly over the back calls.

And our players are just physically weak. Several times we had a rebound only to have the MSU player just take the ball away.

But at least we can claim to be undefeated in conference play. At least until Sunday when we go to UK...
  11. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Good win for the team to start out SEC play. There is still work to be done but there is some growth and development. Winning our home conference games is pivotal to getting back to the NCAA.
  12. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    Glad they won, but they have to keep this up against all of the teams. We know how the team would look good in one and then lose to Alabama or Ole Miss. They can't afford that to happen again with our lack of quality wins in the OOC schedule.
  13. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I guess no one will ever accuse Bigtifosi of pumping sunshine!

Was this one of the five conference games we are "supposed " to win or will this be added to our projected total?
  14. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    This was a game they are supposed to win, i.e. against another SEC bottom-feeder. Miss State was predicted to finish 11th, 1 spot below Florida in the preseason picks. The 13-1 record for Miss State was dubious at best. If you thought Florida played a weak non-conf schedule, just review the Bulldog schedule.

The real tests will come against those predicted to finish ahead of Florida.
    http://www.local8now.com/sports/headlines/Media-Picks-Lady-Vols-227714571.html
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Just an honest assessment of what I saw. You miss so much when a game is televised as opposed to seeing it live.
  16. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Well a W is a heck of a lot better than an L and beating teams your "supposed" to beat is better than losing to teams your supposed to beat.

This team seems to be improving and quickly. It is a young team so the upside is still uncertain. I don't expect them to be cutting down nets at the end of the season, but at this point in the season, I'd have to say they are better than last years team. That team was on the wrong side of the bubble... perhaps this team is on the right side.

Go Gators! Go Amanda!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Team is definitely better than at this point last year. RPI Power Rating went up to 61 after being in the 100s a few weeks ago but those numbers mean little til we work into conference play a bit. MSU was 13-1, even if it wasn't against great competition. They handled James Madison fairly well and James Madison went to UNC yesterday and nearly upset the Tarheels. We have several decent wins... St. Johns, Oregon State, Georgetown, Miss State.... 2 losses to decent teams in Florida State and Virginia Tech...and one bad loss to Illinois State...and several wins over teams we definitely should have beaten. We are on a 7 game winning streak and the team is starting to gel much earlier than last year. We need Williams to develop and Bannister to get back on the court to help with depth. The only teams that are clearly going to outmatch us talent wise are UT, LSU, UK, and possibly South Carolina. On nights when our threes fall we could pull an upset. The rest of the conference is going to be closely contested. 8-8 gets us to the NCAA but I think 9-7 is the magic number to be a lock. This team is still relatively young and should only get better, especially if Bannister can get back on the court.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    One thing that really concerns me is only having 8 bodies to run an SEC schedule.
  19. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    St. Johns 8-4
    Georgetown 6-7
    Oregon State 8-4
    Miss. State 13-2 (About to get exposed in SEC play)

When these are our "quality" wins coupled with losses to 1-9 Illinois State(yeap their only win) and 10-3 Virginia Tech team that is about to get exposed big time in the ACC, this team has to win at least 9 games and probably 1 tournament game to even be considered for the NCAA tournament at-large bid. And some of those 9 wins have to be over the ranked teams. Remember this was the reason why the team has been in the WNIT so many times. They would go .500 in conference but had few quality wins and quite a few bad losses.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Is it me, or are some of the posters here actively rooting against this team? Seems more than just a glass half empty attitude.

I was able to watch this game on Gatorvision yesterday, first I've been able to watch of them so far, and I came away impressed.

They played some tough D and were rebounding well. Peoples played the point well, and had a great little pull up jumper going that will be tough to defend if she can keep it up. There were some sloppy plays, and some ill advised attempts to just take it to the hoop. But all in all, I liked what I saw.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1