watching player interviews on gatorzone

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by jaxgator1991, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    and a reporter asked trey burton about his wild cat package and if he enjoyed it, and if he would be ok scraping it for the good of the team. his face lit up with a smile and he said he loves his wildcat package, regardless of what fans and people on twitter say. i think trey is a great player when he is used the right way, but ever since he had broke off that huge run against TENN last year has he handed the ball off ONE TIME? this has become the single most predictable play in our offense. i am so sick of this trey burton wildcat formation! maybe if he handed the ball off one time it would work. or if we used the motion man and throw a quick bubble screen to him? i think these options could turn HUGE plays for this offense due to how much a ball hog trey has become in that spot
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Seemed to work fine against USC last year. Trey is an average football player. Trey should also almost never throw the football.
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I think the question is are they designed runs or does he actually have the option to hand it off and he's just not making the best decision? I think some have come with an empty backfield and little to no motion, which I agree should probably be scrapped.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,495
    He handed it off quite a bit in his first two years running it. I think after the big gainers against UGA, UT and USC the staff thinks the odds of him breaking one are good enough to take the chance.
  5. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    Personally I love the no gains it now gets. But that's just me.
  6. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    If he never throws it, then it is not a great package. Will it work sometimes? Sure. But he needs to throw it once in awhile to keep the defense honest.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    It is not about him throwing it though it never was and never will be. It is about run fits USC has been getting killed by it with us last year and Vandy this year. There is a reason it is in a ton of teams playbooks and rarely do people throw from it.
  8. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    My issue is that Trey seems to keep it almost every time. The point of the read option is that he's supposed to either keep or hand it off depending on what the crashing defensive end does and he seems to just take it himself regardless. It's not really fooling anybody other than the less-talented undisciplined teams.