Watching movies at home.....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by outbackjack, Aug 3, 2013.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +435 / 8 / -5
    Now that Blockbuster and the likes are gone.....I am looking for some help on movies.

I am looking for streaming movies.

Netflix doesn't have a good selection.

Mailing movies doesn't work, as you get it two days later.

Amazon prime makes you pay for each rental, as you also pay for the Amazon membership.

What we want is to pay for some service monthly, so that when we decide Friday night we want to watch True Grit, we can log on, stream it, and here we go.

Red Box has virtually zero selection.

I actually wish there was a Blockbuster store where we could go and get the exact movie, and watch it that evening.

I figured there was sometihng out there that would fit our needs, and if anyone knows, it would be Pubsters.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    All the things you listed are what is out there. There is no streaming service that will meet your needs if you are expecting unlimited selection. You do not need to be an Amazon Prime member to rent videos whenever you want from Amazon Instant Video though. Just being a Prime member gives you access to certain streaming titles free. And I dont know where you live but there is still a Blockbuster right down the street from me.

I think you probably wont find a single service that works for you. I would recommend using a combination of Red Box and Amazon so that you just pay as you go.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +435 / 8 / -5
    Well then there's your million dollar business....too bad I'm not smart enough to make it happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +688 / 7 / -1
    i personally love netflix. only problem is i can end up pissing an entire day away streaming movies.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +539 / 4 / -3
    I like Netflix as well. I prefer documentaries, especially music docs, and Netflix has a decent variety. Just finished the making of The Sex Pistols' " Never Mind the Bollocks" and watched "Soul of America: The Charles Bradley Story" again. A really good friend of mine shot and produced that one. An incredible human interest story; I highly recommend it. #10 on iTunes docs.

http://www.charlesbradleyfilm.com/
    • Like Like x 1
  6. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +688 / 7 / -1
    I'm with you toon. The movies I watch are more Indies and docs and Netflix has a decent selection of both. Plus they have a good amount of stand up

Sent from my mind using ESP
  7. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of MEN Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,907 / 2 / -1
    I do netflix and amazon.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Its not really that its not possible, its that the licensing agreements for unlimited streaming services makes it not financially reasonable. The movie studios still want to sell their DVDs and Blu-Rays so they make agreements with the rental companies that limit the availability to the services or force you to do one time rentals via AIV or On Demand. Heck, on Amazon you sometimes can buy a streaming movie then have to wait a month to rent it.

So, I think we will eventually see a change in the finances behind these services but have no idea when.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566 / 15 / -3
    We have Netflix and Hulu+...both have fairly good selections. Hulu+ is more geared toward recent TV series episodes but also has movies. Fees are around $8-10 per month...