Watched highlights from the UF/UCLA Championship game

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by EZE2005, Jan 28, 2014.

1. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    I think depth is a little over-rated (look at Duke's success over the years and many times they only play 7 guys). Of course it's great to have good backups to relieve starters or maybe somebody who can come off the bench and offer something different than the starters can, but for the most part it's all about the starting 5.

In comparing this years team to the teams with the 04's I think you are making it a little too complicated and maybe looking into stats a little too much. How about looking at it comparing starters:

Noah vs Young: Gotta go Noah here, but I think it's closer than most would expect. Young is the glue guy on defense and his help defense and coordinating the D does not always get noticed. Noah was great with his blocks on defense, is more athletic and I think he added more on offense and rebounding than Young does. Noah also has the height advantage and the way he pumped up the other guys and the crowd is unmatched. He was the glue guy for that team and the chemistry that they played with.

Horford vs Yeguete: Horford in a landslide. Nothing much else to say here.

Brewer vs Prather: Prather is having a great year, but I think this one goes to Brewer but it's close. IMO, Brewer was a better defender, and while Prather is more efficient on offense, Brewer shot decent from the 3 point line.

Humphrey vs Frazier: Push. Both are marksmen from 3. Humphrey was a better defender, but Frazier is probably a better rebounder.

Green vs Wilbekin: Wilbekin in a close one. His defense pushes him over Green by a close margin.

The biggest difference in this team vs the '04 teams is at that PF spot. Whether you put Yeguete up against Horford or against Noah, he gets blown out of the water. If you put DFS or Chris Walker in there it gets a little closer, but it's still a huge edge to the 04's at that position.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    ^^^^ Good comparison.. Brewer is my all time favorite, just seemed like he was about as clutch as they came. Humphrey was a great clutch shooter, but Corey got it done on both ends.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Isn't Humphrey the all time NCAA tourney 3pt? Push? Really?
  4. gatorfansrule

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Lee Humphrey was a career 44.4% 3-point shooter. So far in Michael Frazier's career he is shooting 46% from 3. Both have put up more than enough 3's to have a good sample size. Yeah, I would say a Push is fair.
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Both may have a good sample size, but Humphrey shot 246 three pointers his senior season. Frazier shot 111 last season. There can be no comparison there. It's a compelling argument, but at this stage in Frazier's career, I'll take Humphrey. As previously noted, he was also our best perimeter defender.
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    OK, but he's already shot 114 THIS season....
  7. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I agree with this statement fully. This explains our last three elite 8 performances. We saw flashes of this defensive brilliance last year.
  8. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Where I think the 04s have this team beat hands down is the frontcourt, and not just because of scoring. I watched a replay of the UF/Oregon game yesterday. That front court wore through the Oregon frontcourt like a hot knife through butter. UF had all their big men in foul trouble in the first 10 minutes
  9. gatorfansrule

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Frazier was a freshman that didn't start last year. Humphrey as a freshman took 57 three pointers. Frazier is on track to take more threes than Humphrey over his career and is currently at a slightly higher percentage. Humphrey was a better defender, while Frazier is a better rebounder, gets to the foul line more often and shoots a better percentage from the line when he gets there. Again, I'm not saying Frazier's better, I just said it was a push.
  10. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    This year's Gator team is very good, but imo they have a long, long way to go before they start getting compared to a national title winner that was one of our best teams of all time. I would take every starter on the '06-07 Gators over our current starters head to head with the possible exception of Frazier vs. Hump, and even that one is extremely close.

Noah > Pat - Jo was bigger, had better defensive instincts, was a better passer, ran the floor and finished in transition better, and his leadership, intensity and intangibles were off the charts

Horford > Yeguete - Al was stronger, a better athlete and generally better in every skill category

Brewer > Prather - Corey had better size and longer arms, had better defense/defensive instincts, and had much better shooting range

Hump > Frazier - this is the closest one, but I would still give Hump the edge based on his big game shooting; defense is a wash as far as I'm concerned, though - Lee hustled his butt off but his defensive ability has always been very overblown

Green > Wilbekin - TG was a slightly better ballhandler, a better facilitator who didn't have to dominate the ball nearly as much as Scottie, was a better pick and roll player (one of the best I've ever seen at making the defense pay with the correct read - Scottie is good but much more inclined to look for his own offense first), a better 3pt shooter on much higher volume, and a generally more steady, consistent offensive player; Taurean was also a very tough hardnosed man defender in his own right, and while Scottie is definitely better on that side of the ball, I would take Green over him all day considering the offense-centric nature of the PG position
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    Agree...that is a huge difference and that's why it reminds me of our 05-06 team since both teams were still in the process of figuring out how much better they could be.

Our 07-07 team was awesome and dominant--but more of a known commodity by that point (though the big thing from that year was Horford improving even more and the emergence of Speights off the bench).

With this year's team, there are reasons to be optimistic. Young and Wilbekin are putting everything together and both have been much-improved in many areas that they used to struggle in; DFS has emerged in a big-way and is a wild-card option off the bench that offers us starter's production in scoring, defense, and rebounds; Frazier's developed a driving element to his game--making him even deadlier behind the three since defenders hesitate more in charging at him; and Hill is still improving as well). Add in Walker--and this team hasn't hit its ceiling yet. That's a great thought to ponder as we're getting into February and still improving...
  12. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    It's hard to argue with most of that...but I think Prather-Brewer is a bit closer than you're letting on.

This year's Prather is every bit as good as Brewer was on those teams...and, unlike Brewer, has been far more consistent. Brewer was the kind of wild-card, hit or miss player. On fire one night, but quiet another (though he found ways to be productive even when he was quiet, which is why he's so good). Prather has averaged double-digit scoring in every game if I remember right--and is still an excellent defender. I'm not sure who'd be the better player of the two; but this year's version of Prather makes it close, I'll say that much.
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Take any team the past 12 years and compare it to that UF team...at worst we are even. So not really a fair comparison. I think our bench is better for sure than the 05 team. I mean Hodge and Richard and Moss were dependable but Finney, Walker, Hill, Devon. I think that is a better overall bench right now honestly. I think by the end of the year Walker is putting up almost an exact stat line like Richard...and he would be the third most productive bench player behind Hill and Finney still.
  14. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Good points, and I agree that CP has been excellent this year. But I can't get on board with the idea that Brewer was wildly inconsistent offensively. He didn't average as many points as Casey has for us, true, but in 06-07 he scored in double figures in 28 of 37 games (and scored 9 in three of the remaining nine games). Another three of those single-digit games were early-season blowouts where he didn't play much. Plus he shot 35% from 3 and added three assists per game, all while being one of the nation's best lockdown defenders. I think his offensive contribution was pretty underrated, actually.

I love Prather's team mentality and the way he's adapted his game this year to take advantage of what he does well offensively. He's a great kid and I'm really glad we have him, but I just don't think he's on a Corey Brewer level.
  15. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    Well, I'm willing to grant that my memory might be a bit mistaken there. :)

Not saying Brewer was a poor offensive guy--far from it--just making a case that the comparison is a bit closer upon further inspection. Again, I'm not sure which player is better.
  16. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Hey, I can totally agree with it being a closer comparison than it might seem at first. And I also just realized I was looking at the wrong year for game scores, since I used 06-07 in my other post, so it turns out that I'm a bit of a moron. Brewer actually scored in double digits 26 of 39 games in 05-06 (the year the thread's based on) with nine points in four more, so he was a little less consistent than in 06-07. Still pretty consistent, though ;-)
  17. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    FIFY
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    If I am not mistaken, Noah mostly played power forward next to Horford, so the comparisons should really be Horford-Young, Noah-Yeguete/DFS.
  19. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Totally agree and I really hate that they don't get more recognition in that regard. The 05-06 team was great, but that 06-07 team was legendary.