WaPo fact checks prezBO's speech on debt limit

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    In this instance, lying is preferable to being wrong. I would rather be known as a liar than a blabbering idiot.
  2. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +851
    "And if they said something like that, they would deserve to be lambasted."

Very true---yet when Obama says it, what do we see in here from the lefties??? "I'm sure Obama was wrong and he needs to be right"...and that is only from one of them. And that was not a very definitive admission either.

Notice none of the others have ventured in yet to defend or spin. Seems they are just hiding but who can blame them when it is this blatant.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    You don't think saying Obama is wrong is definitive? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  4. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    Not when he is lying.
  5. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +851
    Not in the least. You merely stated "I'm sure he was wrong." That could easily be construed as you felt as if Obama was 'mistaken'....'under the wrong impression'....'misinformed'....a myriad of reasons which made him appear---incorrect.

Outright lying is not being mistaken--not being misinformed--not being taken out of context....etc. It is flat out, without debate, no question or argument whatsoever---a lie. It is done with intent, and with the full knowledge of withholding the truth.

So no---your answer was not exactly what one could call definitive.

Even now you continue to spin it when the rest of us know exactly what Obama did, and now can see what you are doing. You're doing everything you can to spin it where it could appear to be an honest slip up....just admit that your boy lied.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    What is the proof of Obama's intent?
  7. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +851
    Do you honestly believe he thinks raising the debt ceiling doesn't translate into increasing the debt???

That is what he is trying to pawn off with his statement, and if you truly think he believes that garbage--then you are in the same league with river in the spin game.

Obama lied and you damn well know it too. Or are you one of his low info minions who believe every word he spews as gospel?
  8. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I see your partisan foolishness continues. I've never voted for him so you can abandon your lame insults.

I'm actually a little astounded that what you're citing as the lie is his statement about the debt ceiling. The part that was considered inaccurate was using the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip to which I was curious how we know Obama knew that it had had been used as political bait?

As for the debt ceiling, let me ask you this: does the act of increasing your credit card limit increase your debt?
  9. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Biggest ahole to ever walk on two legs.
  10. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +851
    "As for the debt ceiling, let me ask you this: does the act of increasing your credit card limit increase your debt?"

The 'act' of raising a limit--credit card or in this case, the debt ceiling---does not, in and of itself not increase debt. That's been stated in several posts in this thread already. That has been established as a given. Or at least should be.

However, the motive and intent behind it is the same--creating more debt when the ceiling is raised. You know it--I know it--everyone knows it and there is no other reason Obama is behind this. And before you ask how it is I think I know his motives...it doesn't take any psychic abilities to understand precisely what he is up to. His own supporters knows what he is up to, yet remain in denial along with everything else he does--refusing to accept or admit he lies about his actions and intent, and has done so since day one in office.

Call it partisanship if you wish, I call it seeing through his veil of deceit which he is a master of doing. He is banking on selling his request for the good of the country, and too many people who follow his every word are just plain too stupid to question him. I call him exactly as I see him---a pathological liar.
  11. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    You guys are funny. When I pointed out that Cruz said Reagan lowered spending and the deficit, the answer was "I don't believe Factcheck that he said it."
    When I posted the video where he said exactly that, it was "I'll have to watch it context ..."
    Anything but admit he said it and admit he was wrong.
    Washpost's factcheck points out Obama said something that was wrong. I quickly admitted it. And you guys are still playing some silly game.
  12. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Sure he's lying. Any time in the future, the media, or how about someone from the opposition party hold him accountable, will be the first. He says whatever the hell he wants to, then crickets.
  13. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    For sure there is a double standard when reporting on Dems versus Repubs.
  14. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +851
    Nice two-step river. You still won't or can't admit...he lied. He wasn't simply 'wrong'. He lied.
  15. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    i'm sure you're aware of your responses anytime someone quotes factcheck. you dismiss it completely
  16. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +851
    I wasn't speaking of, or even referencing factcheck. I don't even recall the deflection point you were making in your last post either--about Reagan, Cruz, etc. That was NOT the point of our topic, nor was it my question to you which have so artfully dodged and danced around yet again.

I asked you then...several posts back.....and am asking you here and now---will you acknowledge your boy.....lied? Not that he "was wrong", but that he lied?
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Another underwhelming issue. If one wants to read the actual WaPo article, instead of the right wing interpretation in the OP, which is further mangled by TH commentators, here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...have-never-been-attached-to-the-debt-ceiling/

One notes:

There is no dispute about the presidents comment that raising the debt ceiling does not add to the debt, but merely allows payment of already accumulated debt. That is an unarguable fact.

The criticism of the president is solely on his statement on the history of using that mechanism by congress for political purposes. It ends with:

"(Update: White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, at his news briefing on Thursday, pushed back against our findings, saying, ”It is absolutely correct that, prior to 2011, no party to the budget agreements of the past had ever threatened default if it did not get its way ideologically. It did not happen.” We will note that this is not what the president said at the Business Rountable.)"

Somebody close the storm shutters in the teapot.
  18. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +978
    You've just acknowledged he was technically correct in his statement. In practical effect the debt will rise because congress will approve another budget in excess of our revenue. Not everything is Obama's fault. I think there is enough out there without trying to "get" him on this.

If you want to talk about the practical effects of something talk about what would happen if we don't raise the debt ceiling.