WaPo fact checks prezBO's speech on debt limit

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Sep 19, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,537
    gave him 4 Pinocchio's

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/19/obama-fails-washington-post-fact-check-for-this-debt-ceiling-attack-on-republicans/

President Barack Obama in a speech to business leaders Wednesday said Republican efforts to attach non-budget items to an increase in the nation’s debt limit are unprecedented.

“You have never seen in the history of the United States the debt ceiling or the threat of not raising the debt being used to extort a president or a governing party and trying to force issues that have nothing to do with the budget and nothing to do with the debt,” President Obama said.

Obama Hammered by the Washington Post for Bogus Debt Ceiling Claim
    The Washington Post fact-checker awarded the president four Pinocchios for his false claim.
    He is referring specifically to Republican attempts to attach a delay in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act to an increase in the debt ceiling.

The president later explained Thursday that raising the debt ceiling doesn’t actually increase the debt.

“[R]aising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt,” President Obama said. “It does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you’ve already racked up, Congress.”

“It’s a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved,” he added.
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    So NOW you believe the Washington Post, Bill?
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    So questioning whether bill gives any credit to the WaPo means what in regard to Obama lying yet once again???

Funny, but something about Obama lying seems to be more significant than bill's reference he used.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    I'm sure Obama was wrong. And he needs to be right.

I just think it's funny that the same people who dismiss every fact check, including WashPost, when it criticizes Republicans suddenly take it as gospel when it targets a Democrat.

I tend to think it's a pretty reliable source all the time. Not just when it's convenient.
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,537
    probably not river-just like it when they point out prezBO's lies
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    I love this one:

Either he is as stupid as Pelosi or he's a liar. I guess we don't have $16.7 Trillion in debt today? What makes this statement from him so misleading and false is since May we have run out of money. We hit $16.7 Trillion in May and since then we have plundered SS and Medicare and various other depts. and left them IOUs WHICH will be paid the day after the debt ceiling is lifted. It's quite possible we might peg the new ceiling by year end. Has Obama even said what he wants the ceiling raised to? Some have said he wants just south of $20 Trillion, enough to not have to go through this again while he's President.
  7. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,537
    real- he is both
  8. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +658
    I disagree bill. I DO agree on his being a liar...that much is blatantly indisputable simply by watching videos of his speeches....er, I mean teleprompter readings.

As far as him being stupid---yes he is that in some matters where he is visibly in over his head, yet tries to convince everyone he is not. That is flat out stupid. But in this case on the debt ceiling--IMO, it proves just how smart he actually is....although it really reverts back to his ability to lie. He knows exactly that the debt ceiling does indeed equate to creating more debt---don't kid yourself on that part. He knows full well what that debt ceiling means. But his conniving and deceitful part is that he is making that statement with the hopes and beliefs that people will actually buy into it.

It all comes down to his belief of just how ignorant and stupid he thinks THE PUBLIC is. He comes across as 'explaining' to all the common folks what that odd term 'debt ceiling' actually means....“Raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt,” --- in that statement, he is simply playing to his supporters and the ultra low information voters who are so pathetically stupid as to accept his reasoning.

Don't be fooled into thinking for one minute that his words weren't very deliberate and calculated as to who the intended target is. He is banking on his intellectually challenged supporters to call their representatives and voice their support for what their boy is wanting to do. You can bet your ass he knows full well--just like the rest of us who can use our grey matter--that when HE is asking for raising of the ceiling, he is damn well going to use up that 'credit line' just as fast as possible.

Yes he IS both stupid as Pelosi in some ways, and definitely a liar of biblical proportions, but in this instance--he is not stupid. He is banking on the country at large being as stupid as Pelosi to believe him.
  9. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    I asked that because in past years, we have raised the limit by $1.5 Trillion or less. Considering we are already $280 Billion in the hole since May, he can't ask for the usual amount or risk running out of money by next Spring.
  10. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Maybe Jeff Bezos is insisting on some honesty.
  11. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    So you believe the WaPo and concede that Obama is lying in this instance and are pointing out Bill's inconsistencies? Do I have that right?
  12. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Let's look out the window to see if pigs are flying before you ask him that.:joecool:

I mean...seriously...you DO know what you are asking him to concede to????
  13. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Yes, river either concedes Obama was lying or admits that he is as inconsistent as he accuses Bill of being or he does his usual deflection dance and says "I didn't say what I said."
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    Ummm, he said that he is sure Obama is wrong and trusts the fact checks. Not sure what else you guys want from him...
  15. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +658
    ^^^ "Obama is wrong" is not the same as "Obama is lying". BIG difference.

Just once it would be interesting to see someone from the left acknowledge Obama lies. Just once--especially when it caught on video-audio-print. No way to hide what he is doing yet again. And an excuse of him being 'mistaken' or uninformed or taken out of context doesn't fly here as well.

Obama said another flat out lie--and no one on the left in here will admit it. Speaks volumes of their....'critical thinking' ability they seem to claim so often.
  16. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    He could be lying. I don't know but I assume most politicians lie in the regular performance of their jobs (not saying it is right). Or maybe he thought he was right. Wouldn't be the first person to be certain they are right only to be conclusively proven wrong.
  17. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Not to argue but please....he is Obamus Maximus. As POTUS with an agenda the size and scope of his, there is NO WAY IN HELL he actually believed that crap he said. We both know that.

He was flat out lying through his teeth....er, fangs and forked tongue. He has a pathological history of lying and this one is about as blatant as it gets. I don't doubt he has very little clue about economics--at least not to the degree he should. But as POTUS, he has advisors who should have made damn sure he wouldn't make as stupid a remark as he did. His comment was intentional and was made while being fully aware of it being outright false.

There is one instance where I can give Obama credit for being outright stupid in a remark---the infamous 'corpesmen' comment. Now that couldn't have been helped or prevented by advisors or such, as there would be little doubt in their minds that the dumbass would pronounce it that ignorantly. Other than that comment--he makes every one of his comments being totally aware of it being truthful or a lie.

Lastly--I agree about politicians and their daily ability to lie and deceive. Both sides do it and both have mastered the art. The libs in high office tend to do it more fluidly however.
  18. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,537
    PrezBO is both wrong and lying
  19. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Paraphrasing (sort of) - Raising the debt limit does not mean an increase in debt. That's gotta be one of the all time dumbest quotes in political history. I know the overpaid fat white people that dominate the liberal media carry his water, but come on.

If Palin said this, Chris Tingle Matthews would feel fuzzy all over.
  20. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Good point, if Palin or W said it, the quote would be all over the liberal media, with snarky remarks about how stupid they are. And if they said something like that, they would deserve to be lambasted.