WaPo column by Iranian president

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No doubt full of politics-speak and hidden meanings, but we should remember his was an upset election in which he won the votes of moderates who want to end Iranian isolation. He closes the column:

"As I depart for New York for the opening of the U.N. General Assembly, I urge my counterparts to seize the opportunity presented by Iran’s recent election. I urge them to make the most of the mandate for prudent engagement that my people have given me and to respond genuinely to my government’s efforts to engage in constructive dialogue. Most of all, I urge them to look beyond the pines and be brave enough to tell me what they see — if not for their national interests, then for the sake of their legacies, and our children and future generations."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a564-213e-11e3-966c-9c4293c47ebe_story_1.html
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,653
    and it means nothing as he is a figurehead at best. the ayatollah rules Iran and what the pres says is worth about as much as Baghdad Bob's reports. shut down the centrifuges, let the inspectors in, and then we can have dialogue. if you want to talk while you work towards your first detonation I am not interested. this is just playing out the clock just like Syrian agreement is. This is just throwing the dog a bone to keep him occupied while they steal the silver.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The lesson relearned in the "Arab spring" is that even despots are susceptible to overwhelming popular opinion. No one is in total control ever and even less so in a country with an educated and motivated population. That being said, even the Iranian "opposition" seeks national pride and defense in nuclear weapons, and that is a position with all evidence on it's side. It will be a miracle if we can keep them from getting them without a full blown war, which would be even greater folly.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,059
    Does that mean we shouldn't put any stock in what the last president said? You know, like wiping Israel off the map?
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,082
    This.

"Trust but verify" has never had such huge implications.
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,653
    Didn't take him seriously either. Iran has been and still is world's biggest sponsors of terrorism. Judge by actions not words
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,082
    This.
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,059
    So do you guys propose we bomb Iran? If we can't put any stock in what Ahmadinejad said then are they the threat some believe them to be?
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,175

I agree. We could be doing something more productive during the mean time, like negotiating with North Korea.

Anybody watching the doomsday clock anymore ?
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,653
    are you really trying to compare the Revolutionary Guard and the Qods in Iran to the forces in control in Libya or even Egypt? Until the Revolutionary Guard is decapitated revolution would have absolutely no chance in Iran. the ayatollah doesn't give a fap what popular opinion is as long as the Qods and the IRGC have his back.
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You would have bet against Mubarak 5 or 6 years ago? Or Qaddafi? I'm not suggesting there will be a revolution in Iran anytime soon, but if anything there is larger educated middle class with aspirations of entering the modern world. How confidant in his generals is the ayatollah?
  12. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,611
    This.

The Ayatollah and the religious council are who rule Iran...and they've been the ones driving Iran's nuclear program thus far (along with popular support).

Guaranteed that the only reason for the "outreach" is to get the West to relax a bit on the economic sanctions, which are crippling their economy even more than usual.
  13. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    The Iranian president dangles the bait and the left jumps at it like hungry mice.
  14. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,971
    I really wish the media in the US would stop posting the garbage spewed by other "leaders". In the age of the Internet whatever they say will be available to whoever wants already, but just something unseemly to keep allowing leaders of other countries to write op-ed pieces/news pieces in US papers.
  15. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,059
    I don't see a problem with it. This allows people to get another perspective on issues which are pertinent to us. Whether said people use discretion when reading them is up to the individual.
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,653
    just following Putin's lead. throwing the dog a bone
  17. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,082
    And it works every single time. Power to the sheeple.
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,653
    except the president of Iran doesn't have any real power so he isn't a real leader.

CNN is drooling all over themselves about the President of Iran but they offer no context as to who really runs Iran or mention that this pres is the former negotiator for the Iranian nuclear program.

He is a professional at stalling and pandering to the court of public opinion. A very smooth talking Baghdad Bob being directed by the Ayatollah to say whatever he needs to get the sanctions lifted and delay any more meaningful extensions of those sanctions. 0 could go talk to a tree, he will get the same result in the end, the ayatollah will do what he wants and continue to push for a nuclear weapon.

0 deals from a position of weakness. He needs to close the exemptions that allow the Chinese and the Indians to buy oil from Iran and bypass the embargo. Go after the smugglers that are just trading ships to bypass the embargo. Cut off Iranian oil exports and tell Iran that they will remain cut off until inspectors are allowed to all plants and the equipment removed or destroyed by UN forces. but 0 has no stick.:sad: