Want to be slimmer ? Eat more carbs ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    What I mean to say is that corn-syrup is in everything we consume in the U.S. because of high tariffs on sugar from overseas. Therefore, we consume more of it and get fatter as a society.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    A recent study in the British Medical Journal basically said that reducing sugar intake only provided a marginal reduction in weight loss in adults and none in children. Sugar in any form is but a small portion of the ultimate problem of overconsumption in this country. Now, heavily sugared drinks that offer less satiety should of course be reduced but simply changing out one type of sugar for another or replacing sugars with other carbs, fats or proteins wont solve the problem either.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    And in fact, according to the "Healthy Eating Index", FWIW, a mix of whole-grains and REFINED CARBS, along with moderate amounts of sugar, constitutes the healthiest diet.

As far as I'm concerned, that's just a windy way of saying that eating the way most people prefer to eat is the healthiest way to eat.
  4. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    Well I'm cutting all my intake of all processed foods, I get organic if I can, and I stay far away from sweet drinks too. :grin:

Sugar/corn-sweeteners turn into fat if you don't workout. Fat is bad for the heart. And a weak heart can kill you.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    Broccoli turns into fat if you eat a shit-ton of it. And as I've pointed out on the obesity thread, fat is actually good for the heart. I mean fat on your body. And trying like the dickens to get rid of it is your business, but it is an unnatural state of affairs and may be the single unhealthiest thing you can do. Exercise is great, but the guy's never-ending quest to be lean is probably a set-up for a world of trouble.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Removing processed foods and sweet drinks is definitely a good start as that will make it easier to consume fewer calories. Just make sure what you are doing is something sustainable and enjoyable. People get too bogged down in the minor details which imo leads to diet failures. And the truth is everything gets stored as fat if your body cant use it for energy or repair.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    Maybe there's good fat and bad fat, like in cholesterol? :whistle:
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    I doubt it. Even trans-fats have probably gotten a bad rap.
  9. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    You are both right, and wrong.

Where you are right... Mexican Coke (tee hee) with real sugar is PHYSICALLY different than American Coke. IT LITERALLY does have more calories in it. Only 10 per 12 ouces, but still, physically it packs more energy in the same volume.

I suspect that HFCS ounce per ouce is sweeter than real sugar, thus to achieve the same taste, the HFCS version uses more water in the forumla, thus less calories.

Where you are wrong. Differentiating between the two is completely in your head. You already have that opinion formed and you KNOW where the can you are holding came from, thus, you already have your mind made up that at the end of the first can of Mexican Coke you are going to "feel full"..
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    I didn't know a thing about the differences between the two, I didn't even know it wasn't American coke when I bought it. It was after drinking it and noticing a different flavor and feel that prompted me to look into it's origin. I just thought Costco had a different/better formula for coke. :grin:
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    You couldn't tell that the coke in a 12 oz glass bottle was different than the coke you normally find in a can or plastic bottle?

I would be more satisfied by a coke out of a glass bottle every time even if they were the same formula.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    It reminds me of when I was a kid drinking it out of glass instead of dangerous plastic bottles. Another thing I'm trying to avoid.
  13. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    eat a bunch of pasta, potatoes and rice and you'll lose weight?? YES!! I'll get started tonight!
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    Damn! They've found one of my old weight-loss threads.
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    I could almost live on those three foods alone. But I'm just cutting the fats, sugars and processed foods.... plus I'm adding amino acids to supplement my nutritional needs.

It's been two weeks now and I feel better than ever. I'll keep you all posted from time to time.