Want to be slimmer ? Eat more carbs ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    The Italians eat three times the pasta we do and yet have one-third the obesity prevalence. The Japanese eat a sh**-ton of enriched white rice and have one-tenth the obesity prevalence we do.

Stop listening to Taubes, Dr. Oz and various other quacks. Eat your carbs!

Aside: one of our Japanese exchange-students favorite breakfasts was white rice and a white potato. That was it. She'd also remove the skin from the potato. We saved her some time showing her that it was faster using a peeler than a toothpick. :laugh:
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I think it is a disservice to compare Asian and Mediterranean lifestyles with American lifestyles. I think that you will find that Mediterraneans consume far greater quantities of "healthy fats" to go with the pasta (such as olive oils), along with seafood and other healthier foods. The portions are also smaller, and generally, the Mediterraneans space their meals farther apart then Americans.

Asians consume, generally, far more seafood (and Omega 3) than Americans, and generally have a far more active lifestyle (with much more exercise).

Americans eat unhealthy carbs,and consume substantial amounts of processed foods and starches to side with the carbs. And Americans consume far greater quantities of the food, with less time between meals. And we don't exercise nearly enough. Added together, Americans get fat. When you cut out one of the problems -- processed carbs, the body is better able to consume the food and fats.

In other words, I don't think you can just say eat carbs, without explaining that by doing so, you need to also consume healthy fats and increase your level of exercise.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    More disinformation. For starters, seafood and fish oil don't make you slimmer. Secondarily, yes, Italians and Japanese are more active than Americans, but not 'far more active', at least not enough to explain the obesity disparity.

Further, there is no such thing as 'unhealthy carbs.' This is just more quackery. I call it food moralizing. And in indirect fashion, food moralizing likely leads to unnecessary weight gain. We know that demonizing something just makes us want more of it. Almost every week I meet someone who "used to be on low-carb" and swears by it. Hmm, wonder why they're no longer doing it ? Oh, and they're almost always chubby.

Yes, Americans could stand to be more active than they are. Indeed, I encourage it. But here again, do the Japanese and Italians do cardio ?

Lastly, no people on the planet obsess more than Americans do over diet composition. Notwithstanding their worries that their diets are always deficient, most Americans' diets are fairly-well balanced. Indeed, one recent survey of obese people showed that close to 60% of them are getting 5+ servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    Americans do everything in excess. Even if we eat 5+ servings of fruits/veggies, we also are eating 5+ servings of other foods at the same time. We supersize everything. (Of course, there certainly exist volumes of Americans on the flip-side of the spectrum -- those who decide to exercise and become "all-in", exercising every free moment of the day, investing crazy dollars in the latest and best of equipment or clubs ... until they bore of the routine.)

And, there are "unhealthy carbs." Processed white bread, for example, is void of any nutritional value. It immediately processes into blood sugar at an unhealthy rate, and ultimately leads to fat because it will not be burned (consumed as energy) fast enough. Obviously, there are scores of other examples.
  5. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Wait a sec.. I am confused.

IF Fat = longer life

AND

We are fatter than Japan, we are fatter than France.

A=B, and B=C, therefore A=C...

BUT, Japan is #1 in life expectancy (82.7), France is #7 (80.95), and we are #40 (77.97). This is per some UN report (for what that's worth).

This doesn't seem to align with FAT = LIFE.
  6. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Just to clarify things... I would be careful about "do this, get this" ... it doesn't always work.

I am by no means fat anymore (could stand to do some slimming for vain reasons, but still).. yet I still binge on "bad things" all the freaking time... PB&J or a Grilled ham and cheese (Kraft American Slices) on classic white bread is FANTASTIC.
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    Unlike the OP, I am by no means a health expert, but there is a HUGE difference between "good" fat, and "bad" fat. And, there is a huge difference in the quantity of fat that we intake in terms of portion size vs. Japanese. Thus, I think your mathematical equation is unintentionally flawed.
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I totally agree with you on this. Indeed, I live my life on binge-eating. I eat fairly healthy on the weekdays, and fairly unhealthy on weekends. For me, this works. For others, it may not. I think the rule of thumb is to avoid the consistency of "bad" food. We all need to indulge, but I think it's a good idea to have a plan to execute your indulgment.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    With all due respect, this is the sort of hysteria I feel compelled to stand against. Never mind other people, do you yourself EVER just want to chow down on something 'devoid of nutritional value' ? If you do - and I suspect you do - do you REALLY believe that eating is has harmed your health ?

edit: just saw where you confessed to binging on 'bad foods.' Hehe.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    Well, if the studies show anything it's that fat ain't killing Americans. We're fatter than ever and living longer than ever.

Incidentally, one recent study shows obese Japanese women living longer than their normal weight counterparts. If we can just fatten up the Japs more they probably won't croak until they're 90!
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    ABSOLUTELY!!! But, I think the key, at least for me, is to avoid the consistency of bad carbs. I am no angel when it comes to food consumption. But, I try to "save" my binge-eating for the weekends, when I generally exercise more. During the week, I eat fairly healthy (and I admit I am using the term "healthy" improperly -- I should say I avoid most carbs and virtually all "bad carbs"); but on the weeknds -- it's Nachos City!

My blood work, since taking on this lifestyle (for about 8 years now) is consistently excellent. So, I really do feel that my eating lifestyle works for me.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    Am glad for your blood work (for what that's worth), and wish you good health, but would you say that binging and then exercising to compensate a 'healthy' practice ? Couldn't it be construed as a form of bulimia ? Is it healthy to be so preoccupied with calories and nutrient proportioning ?
  13. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I guess we would need to define "binging." I eat one "unhealthy" meal a day over the weekend (up to 3 meals). Unhealthy may mean a big plate of nachos, or a burger and fries, or a big popcorn at the movies. And I don't exercise to compensate; it just so happens that I typically exercise more on the weekends than during the work week.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    Please repeat after me: "There are no 'unhealthy foods.' There are only foods that taste yummy and foods that don't." :joecool:
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    Also, I hasten to point out that the said-to-be-healthier-than-us Japanese eat lots and lots of 'unhealthy carbs', ditto the Italians.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    On the subject of health markers, it is not readily apparent that good numbers equal good health. For example, upwards of 70% of heart attack victims had normal cholesterol at the time. And recently, a highly-touted study seeking to show that losing weight (and thus lowering blood sugar) might curtail heart attacks in diabetics, was abandoned early on discovering that it didn't.
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,072
    What about all the corn-syrup/corn sweeteners in all of our store bought food stocks. When was the last time you had a Coca Cola with real sugar in it? You have to buy Mexican produced coke (Costco has it) to get it with real sugar in it because we make ours with corn-sweeteners.

Doctors will tell you that there is no difference in the glucose intake between the two and that there is no difference between them as far as the how it affects our metabolism. But, I did notice one very interesting distinction between the two. When I drink a coke made with real sugar I got full after just one and I stayed feeling full for a while afterwards. Not so with the American made version with corn sweeteners. I could drink two or three before I felt that full.

Is it possible that we just eat more because we're not feeling full enough? Is there any relation with all the processed foods and their ever growing amounts on corn sweeteners that they contain?
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    I can't argue with anyone's experience but, knowing myself, if someone told me that sucrose was more satisfying than HFCS, it would likely have a placebo effect.

I'm probably also prey to placebo's evil twin, the nocebo effect (actual term). I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but typically feel a little icky afterwards, I'm guessing because it's been drilled into me that 'all that sugar and fat is bad for you."

I don't think that HFCS is any dark conspiracy. Food manufacturers are concerned for their bottom-line, like everyone else, and HFCS is a cheaper means of making their products more palatable by exciting the pleasure centers of the brain.
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,072
    What I mean is that the corn-syrup makes coke less filling, and therefore made me more likely to drink more of it versus the sugar made coke - which fills me up with less intake.

It's absolutely physical/physiological and not.....mental.

Corn-syrup makes us consume more glucose which turns straight into fat.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I have a hard time imagining real feelings of satiety from any beverage or that the type of sugar in a drink makes a significant difference. Now sugar in drink form as opposed to solid form I can understand if it lead to overconsumption.