1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Walker staying (update: He is officially back)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I think Chris is smart enough to realize that the long term benefits of staying another year outweigh the short term benefits of leaving early. With more of Donovan's guidance, he will easily be one of the best players in the country next year. He was buried on the depth chart on a great this year and barely got any national recognition. By being the face of Gator basketball next year on (what looks like on paper) another potentially stacked team, he will have the chance to raise his draft stock even more. Seems like he is thinking straight and hopefully listening to the people who truly have his best interests at heart. Hope to see you next year Chris! Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +864
    I think Harris is going to be the real difference maker on D. He will struggle on the offensive side but from his playing days at USC he has a knock for blocking shots.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    Still think Walker is more of a KG type player than Noah. Other than both Noah and Walker playing for the Gators and contributing little their freshman years I don't really see many similarities in their games.
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +676
    I think Walker can rebound, block shots, run the floor, and handle the ball as well or better than Noah. And that's saying a lot. I haven't seen him enough to comment on other things...Noah, for example, is a great passer.
  5. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I love the high hopes for Chris Walker, but you guys are seriously disrespecting Noah at this point. Does Walker have a ton of potential? Yes. But in his short time here, he has shown nothing in college to substantiate these claims. The only thing he has over Noah for sure is general athleticism. I don't see how you can say stuff like he's better at blocking shots than Noah with a straight face. This is the Noah who set the NCAA record for most blocked shots in a tournament with 29, and most blocked shots in a championship game with 6. Can we allow Walker to even prove on the college level that he has a shred of that ability before anointing him like people are in this thread? Walker might be able to make the same sort of freshman to sophomore leap that Noah made, but let's let it happen first.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Did you know Harris shot 80% on FTs at SC? 45-56 FTs.
  7. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Mr. Christopher Walker will have 40 or so years of living to do after basketball. Time spent at the University and around Mr. Donovan will exponentially enhance those years in ways that money can't buy. (see Patric Young)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +676
    Not disrespecting Noah at all. He was dominant at UF and is becoming an elite player in the NBA. Chris is nowhere near that level...yet. What I'm pointing out is that athletically, he's in the same league as Noah. Now he needs to harness it and learn how to use it in games. If you didn't see how high Walker could get off the floor and how quick he is, you weren't watching.
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    I want to make a point of clarification, if I may.

By athletic, we mean Chris can jump higher. I'm not convinced he is more nimble, quick, has better hands, faster or better change of direction - all of which are athletic traits.
    I think Chris has a very high ceiling but Noah is a very atheletic 6-11 basketball player.

And to someone else's point, Noah is an exceptional shot blocker and I don't believe Chris will be a better shot blocker than him.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +676
    Okay, I'm sorry I compared him favorably to Noah. Silly me.
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    When Chicago played Houston a couple of weeks ago, Noah decisively outplayed Dwight Howard. Noah is an MVP candidate and arguably is the best center in the world. Walker does not rebound, block shots or handle the ball anywhere near as well as Noah.
  12. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,181
    But can he dribble ?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +864
    I don't think anyone is comparing current Walker to multiple year NBa player Noah. That would be silly. Compare freshman Walker to freshman Noah and you can see why people make the comparison.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    Walker could easily be developed into a lottery pick with another year or two. A "quick fix" exit that could possibly result in him playing oversees would ultimately mean he wouldn't even come close to making the money over the course of his career that he could by the end of his first NBA contract at roughly the age of 24...before he gets paid the big bucks.

So, yeah, I'd say that's a no-brainer. If it's in his best interest to stay, then the people he's close to should be encouraging him to do so. We've had guys (Noah, Horford, Mike Miller, Brad Beal, etc...) who were ready leave when they did; and we've also had guys bolt who could have developed into solid pros had they not decided that they just couldn't wait.

Walker is doing the right thing.
  15. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Thought about that also.

She sounds like a wonderful person that devoted herself to taking care of him (before Chris showed any basketball skills - for the cynical among us).

It made me think about how a kid would look at being on a team like this, having a coach that will probably step up to be the first father figure he's ever had. I'd bet you he doesn't give a crap about money right now.

I'll be shocked if he leaves this year. But from what I've seen of him, he's won't get to his junior year at UF as he is maybe the most athletic big man I've ever seen.
  16. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +676
    Thank you!
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    Totally understood. That being said, Walker is about to embark on a sophomore year. In that year, Noah led the Gators in scoring, was the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player en route to a national title. And as someone mentioned in a previous post, I believe he set a record for most blocked shots in the NCAA Tournament as a sophomore. All I'm saying is that's a heck of a lot to make that jump to. Noah did it, I would love it if Walker did.
  18. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +864
    I expect Walker to make a big jump. Most players to wear the orange and blue make a big jump form freshman to sophomores. Will he make a Noah sized jump? That is a high bar to set. That being said I think he will be a very good player for us next year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,158
    I think that's the key. We all expect CW to be significantly better than he was last year. How much? I think his scoring high-end is well above Noah's. I'd be really surprised if he ever become's the passer Noah is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    Yeah, Noah is and was a very, very, very special player.

Walker has enough athletic ability, roughly comparable to Noah's in fact, that he also can become a very good player.

And yes, Harris is a good shot blocker.

However, you do not break Bill Russel's shot blocking record in the NCAA tournament and do it in the way that Noah did it without being SIMPLY INCREDIBLE. The key to blocking shots is not simply blocking, but making sure while you block that the ball goes toward your teammates or yourself rather than giving the opposition another chance. Noah almost always either captured the blocked shot himself, or tapped it to a teammate. Very few are good at that, Noah was AMAZING. I'll never forget this one block that Donnel Harvey did in the 2000 NCAA tournament. He clobbered to ball into the 3rd row of seats. What exactly did that accomplish, because the opponents brought the ball in for another opportunity.

There is a HUGE difference between merely blocking shots and blocking shots effectively, and similar non-statistically-apparent aspects are true for almost everything in any team sport, and, in fact almost anything in life. Statistics are somewhat indicative, but are far from definitive. The difficulty with all statistics and all of what we typically call Science and almost everything else today, is quite simply the fact that we measure and analyze that which is amenable to measurement, which is almost never what you actually want to measure, except in cases of area, volume or mass/weight. It is upon measurements that one applies statistical analysis. Frequently we resort to a standardization process to allow the comparison of Apples (whether Granny Smith or Macintosh) with other Apples rather than with Peaches or Oranges. For example if UF has 5,000 African American students, while UNF has only 2,500 does that mean that UF has more African American students? Well, yes, in terms of raw numbers, however, as a percentage of the population, UF (roughly 50,000 students) has about 10% with that number, while UNF (with about 15,000 students), has almost twice as many, at about 17% (in fact, 70% more than UF).

Working with numbers is not simple and it is exceedingly easy to be utterly mislead by many aspects such as the difference between lost blocked shots and recovered blocks shots which are effectively turnovers.