Walker staying (update: He is officially back)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 8, 2014.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    One thing this decision tells me is that Chris Walker is willing to put in hard work to get what he wants...he could have taken the easy path with very little effort but he obviously is not afraid of working hard to improve his game. That is huge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I think you are right. I'm really looking forward to discovering next year's version of the Gators.
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I would love to see CW put on 25 lbs (he could follow my diet and gain easily), and develop an offensive shot, sky hook, or fade away jumper, or some post up move. I know he should be able to get garbage points with his height but would be good to feed him in the post and let him do his thing.
    Hill HAS to develop a consistent jump shot for us to go really deep in the ncaa tourney. If our bigs are productive and we get a shooter in Hill, I know frazier will get his 3s we potentially could be better than last years team. This team has the talent it's whether or not they are coachable and have the chemistry and attitude last year's team had.
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    But he does have the potential to be better if he works as hard as Noah. He's a better scorer already and gets up higher than Noah can. Noah is still light years head because he's so intelligent and gives it everything he has on every play.
  5. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    As a sophomore, Noah averaged 14.2 points a game (which led the team) and shot 73.3 percent from the line. I can't remember who it was against. But he went off for 30 in one game as a sophomore.
    just sayin
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Better scorer? Noah had a good hook shot and other around the basket moves that are necessary to score when you're not 10 times bigger and more athletic than the person guarding you. Right now, Chris Walker has not shown he has any around the basket moves. As UFreak pointed out above me, Noah scored plenty when he was here.
  7. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I think Walker might surprise some people with his offensive game. Yeah he looked a bit awkward at times this year but I think mostly he was just rushing himself while trying to adapt to the speed of the game. But his stroke from the free-throw line looks pretty good (went 2-7 this year) and if he can use that stroke to hit those 10' shots from the elbow and the baseline that Noah and Horford were so good at, or develop a turn-around jumper from the post then he could be a really good offensive threat. So far Walker looks to be comfortable going to the rim and has shown some nice touch every once in a while.
  8. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He has a jump shot, something that Noah never had, not with that awkward release anyway. Speights was a better scorer than Noah, but that doesn't mean he scored more because he didn't want it. But Speights has also scored more in an NBA game than Noah ever did.

I don't think Walker will ever be as good a passer (almost certain) or as good on defense (pretty certain), but he'll definitely be better at getting buckets.
  9. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Well to be fair, Debose still has 2 or 3 years of eligibility left to prove that.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Kind of unfair to compare Walker to Noah. We all seem to forget what Noah was like as a freshman. Very weak and thin, completely a face up player (still is) without game on the low blocks, no range on his shot. I think Walker is more skilled than Noah at this stage (though Noah was always sort of underrated). He has similar size, but is also far more athletic, he handles the ball about the same, he has more range on his shot, he finishes better, he rebounds and contests shots about the same. The big thing with Noah was of course his unbelievable competitiveness. He had a drive to win that I have seldom seen in others. Walker is definitely more talented and has a higher upside, but I doubt he has the competitive switch that Noah did. Few do.
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    Not saying Walker's in Noah's league right now--just that the two share similar physiques. After his freshman year, most people didn't think Noah had the strength to be a dominant big man inside. But through Noah's persistence and will to win, he made a sophomore leap like nothing many people have ever seen.

Walker has that potential too. He has similar size, great athleticism, and has the body to add weight without losing any of that athleticism. If he has even a little bit of Noah's drive, then we could see a similar sophomore leap from him too.
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    I agree with this. In addition to adjusting to the speed of the game, he had the problem that so many young players who don't get a ton of minutes seem to have in that they force things whenever they get the ball to try to prove they deserve more minutes instead of letting things happen naturally and earning more minutes.

also fwiw he did have that quote about him being a 'sick mix' of two players I can't remember in that he could put it on the floor or pull up from 3. Now I have no idea if that's true but his range may suprise people next year if he's allowed to play on the perimeter
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    I think it is terribly unfair to compare Chris Walker to either Noah or Horford, who had professional parents and grew up in a much better family and financial environment.

If I had to compared Walker to two recent Gators it would be Brewer or Harvey. Both were rural kids and particularly in Harvey's case, the family was impoverished. I think Patric took it upon himself to mentor Chris this year and hope there is someone who is willing to pick up the slack in the coming year.

I am not sure of Damontre Harris leadership skills, but as our lone senior and other big man, it would be great if he and Walker formed a bond for what could be the last season in a Gator uniform for both.
  14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Remember how the coaches used to call Reggie Nelson "The Eraser" because he erased all of the mistakes cornerbacks made in coverage? Noah did a lot of that for us on defense, as did Horford to a lesser extent; Green and Humphrey lacked much size or athleticism on the perimeter, but beating them off the bounce was only the first step. Get into the lane against the 04s and you still had to complete a shot over Joakim Noah, which, you know, have fun.

If we're going to compare Joakim and Walker that's where my mind is. Walker can give us a rim protector we really haven't had since the 04's (maybe Macklin to the extent). Shotblockers just completely alter the equation on offense, as anyone who watched a Kentucky game in 2011-2012 can attest. Add in Damontre Harris, and you have two dynamic shotblockers, which greatly increases freedom for our perimeter defenders.
  15. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Noah is one of the best passing big men we have ever seen...please stop comparing. One of the reasons Humphrey got so many great looks was because of Noah's inside out passing. He also fed Horford a ton from the high-low post. Noah also was able to switch the pick and roll and pick up smaller players and guard them very well for a big. He really dominated the game in so many other areas than scoring that made those teams special.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    Maybe so, but Walker coming out of HS had more athleticism and actual ball skills than Noah did.
  17. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    A lot of growing up happens between your freshman and soph years. Especially with a coach who knows how to spur that growth. This will be fun to watch!
  18. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    It's not all about his play under the basket. Billy ran the offense through Noah at times on the high post and very successfully. Don't know if we will see that again or not with Walker but I hope we do because he's a skilled player. Billy pulled him out high a couple of times in the tourney but he wasn't ready.

The thing about Walker that compares favorably to Noah that has me excited is that he can run the floor, something Speights could not do or even Patric. When we have big men who can run the break look out, Billy will take advantage of that. These were the days we beat good teams by 20 and 30 points.
  19. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Some outstanding features regarding Noah are his intelligence, worldliness, ferocity and individuality. H e was fortunate to grow up in a situation and with genes that allowed him to cultivate these qualities. His father was the #3 tennis player in the world at his peak and won a major championship. . He grew up around the highest level of competition. . He has a confidence that transcends basketball which enables him to be a better leader on his team.

Walker can run faster and jump higher. Can he catch up to Noah in those other categories? Very unlikely.
  20. ehurnie

ehurnie Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Also, Walker is back! He is his own player and I am happy to have him.
    • Agree Agree x 1