Walker Cleared For Saturday?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorchamps0607, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,849
    Whew, take a breath!

There is a sham that is taking place on American fans and it is called revenue producing sports. Men's basketball and football can make a LOT of money but they are wrapped up in the auspices of amateurism that is college sports. Basketball could be easily rectified if the NBA adopts a "go pro or stay away 3 years" like baseball. Football isn't the same because the vast, VAST majority of HS players can not - repeat CAN NOT - be on the same field as the pro-caliber adults. But basketball is a place where a player with the physical skills can at least sit at the end of the bench and make a living in the pros. But the NCAA makes pretty much all of their revenue from the NC tournament and so the sham is in their best financial interests. The problem is that we the fans think they are "student athletes" and may potentially walk away with our monies if the sham is recognized as a sham. So it continues.

As I posted before, I would guess that Chris told the NCAA things that were factually correct but were against the protocols of what makes the sham viable. Now he (or should we say UF) is the aggrieved party in keeping things "stable." And it wouldn't put it past me that if he gets favorable responses from the NBA scouts that he will at least make some money next year (see Kwame Brown) and his learning from a quality college coach is over. The real question is...do the university presidents continue to believe that this system is the best way to project the university's image? If no, then I hope they get the resolve to break away from the status quo and pursue a more fair system, both for the college fans and the HS players who need to make money to live. JMHO
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    I agree with you REM, the UNC stuff is way worse. Even the FSU cheating scandal doesn't compare to this. Fake classes, forged signatures on grade changes, over a 15 year period as you say. Its mind-boggling that the NCAA won't touch that while they sit out CW like this.

If the NCAA has thousands of athletes that are going pro in something other than sports (man I hate those commercials), why wouldn't the NCAA be interested in making sure they get a real education before doing so?
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    By the way it is worded when players apply for the second redshirt "X has applied for a 6th year of eligibility", I don't think that it is automatic. But I agree with you that this gray area might have to do with the fraction of the year missed and seriousness of the injury. If that was the case, a torn ACL in October would effectively be guaranteed to be granted as a medical redshirt.

We'll just go with mostly wrong, and there is a big difference between mostly wrong and all wrong. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,636

Seems like they are having to destroy the player, to save the sham.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    At least CW has a future in the NBA, so he can overcome this garbage. What if this was a player who may not be headed for the NBA lottery, but just wanted to play basketball in college? Guess the NCAA wouldn't care and he'd be playing now, right? SMH
  6. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Follow the money. NCAA is tax-exempt as a "charitable organization" despite making hundreds of millions of dollars each year from TV contracts. According to the IRS rules, charitable organizations lose their tax-exempt status if their "charitable class" (in this case the student-athletes) receive excessive benefits. So NCAA takes impermissible benefits and amateur status VERY seriously. There is no such IRS rule about academic integrity and cheating; hence the NCAA's indifference.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    This doesn't make sense. They get a tax exemption, yet the people they are supposed to be doing charity for can't receive any charity? They don't even cover their entire living expenses.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
  8. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Exactly. The answer to pretty much every question plaguing our consciences can be answered thusly.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I agree with you. Here is what's going on:

In other words, NCAA can only organize amateur competitions; otherwise it is not considered a charitable organization. As a result, any breach of the amateur status of student-athletes puts NCAA's tax-exempt status in jeopardy.

So NCAA can enrich itself and the athletic departments of its member schools by not paying taxes, as long as the student-athletes don't receive any piece of the pie. And oh, nobody really gives a damn about education.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Another "cleared to play" date has come and gone. And Jimmy Dykes said Florida is good enough to win it all, even if they don't get Walker. First time I've heard that recently . . . wondering if there isn't something known that he won't be cleared at all, ever, by the NCAA (i.e., they've decided to declare him no longer an amateur.).
  11. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    That would ultimately be the worst thing to happen but that is only if he would have played overseas or something right?
  12. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    And the twitterverse is wrong again...
  13. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Not sure. But I've always wondered how some of these AAU teams aren't considered semi-pro. The coaches get theirs. If the players or their families get paid too . . . ? There are a lot of problems and it sucks for the NCAA to decide and make an example of individual players rather than addressing the whole system.
    But I'd say the Florida coaches and administration likely know why things are held up and aren't pressing the issue because they know it won't look good.
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    The infiltration of the AAU system by agents has completely corrupted it. The NCAA has looked the other way for years and by doing so, has encouraged them to run amuck.

Until you completely remove the agents from the picture, this nonsense will continue.