Walker Cleared For Saturday?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorchamps0607, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    There's little chance that Walker stays at UF for all 4 years so the question is moot.
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    I suppose it was more of an academic than a rhetorical question. But, yes, moot with regard to Walker. :cool:
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    Agree or disagree, I think Brockway makes an interesting point:

I happen to agree and think that if this situation shows a lack of justice, then someone needs to be publicly advocating for this kid and making the injustice apparent. IMO we can't judge the NCAA based on what has become known about Walker's case.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,575
    Agree. UF should be advocating for CW if the facts are known, and we have a clear understanding that CW should be back.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    My reading indicates that you are a redshirt freshman after an academic reshirt, since the article specifically states that the player may take a later injury redshirt.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Good way to get agree rep points, REM. :)

By the way, I sent you a PM, which this new website doesn't make extremely clear to the recipient.
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    unless he turns out to be Kenny Boynton or Patric Young, who nobody ever thought would be here for their senior seasons
  8. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    UF can not disclose anything relating to the status of the student/athlete. Bill has said in the past that coaches sign agreements with NCAA not to discuss there situations. Not sure what you expect UF to do.
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I think Walker has the upside that will make him a lottery pick faster than them probably. That size and leaping ability is very, very rare. Everyone knew he had a lot of rawness to him yet he still was top ten in the best high school class in a very long time. Look at the guys he was ranked around in terms of bigs..Gordon, parker, Randle, etc..he was put in that category basically despite being far more raw than any of them because he has things you can't teach. His ranking was purely based on potential. I doubt if he gets any play time at all this year a team wouldn't take a chance on him late first round because of the possibilities of a monster with that arm span and athletic ability.
  10. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    There is no such thing as a redshirt other than a medical one. You get 5 years to play 4 years of eligibility unless you get that aforementioned medical one.
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,745
    Back to the NCAA bashing. They are legitimatized by the participating universities and their representation (ie, their Presidents and ADs). No one is being held hostage by them. If there were some real incompetencies of an egregious nature I think you would see some of the power conferences deciding to do something different.

And I would agree that there is a LOT of things not being said. That seems to be pretty damning IMO.
  12. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    To: NCAA
    Date: January 24, 2014
    Subj: Chris Walker

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to let you know that the University of Florida has decided to play Chris Walker starting with the Tennessee game on January 25, 2014 at 4 PM EST. If you would like to render a final decision on Chris Walker's eligibility status before the tipoff of the game, please do. Otherwise, the University of Florida has admitted Chris Walker, sat him out for 9 games, and now plans to move forward in the absence of NCAA decision making on this situation.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. alietigator

alietigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    Kevin brockway tweet as of 5 min ago.
    No change on Chris walker for UT per billy d.
  14. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Those ******* ******* ******** suck.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    But he has spoken about this already. He's said there is still a decision to be made and he's even talked about the kind of issues in play by saying they were related to the academic clearing house. I think I remember that right. He probably knew and knows differently, but that's technically speaking about it from my perspective.

I don't know of things they have to sign or whatever. But I do know what I've seen in other cases. Kanter is a good example. Love him or hate him, in Kanter's case, I think Cal did a good job of advocating for him. I can't imagine he'd be able to say things that Billy couldn't. Here are some examples just from one article written months prior to Kanter's ruling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5608992

I'm not suggesting Billy say stuff about specific interactions with the NCAA, just advocate Walker's side of the story a little more. Obviously this is only worth doing if his side helps his case though.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,575
    And there is pretty regular discussion of the power conferences deciding to do something different. But logistically, whatever that is, and who is involved would have to be well planned out, first.

In the meantime, we still have an NCAA that's holding a student athlete hostage. They should say something. Even if that something is that they believe he has definitely earned "N games suspension" but it could be more based on continuing investigations.

But if it turns out he did something that is miniscule by comparison to what Manziel did (for instance), and only missed a half a game for, then this whole thing is a giant cluster function that there is no excuse for. And TBH, I'll be extremely surprised if he did anything remotely comparable to signing several thousand items to be auctioned off.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    Good point. But, if you take a "normal" redshirt - that is, sit out your freshman year just because you're not ready and/or needed - you aren't normally guaranteed to get a 6th year for injury are you? although I'm not sure they (injury redshirts for a 6th year) are ever denied for a legit early-season injury. Or, maybe I'm just splitting hairs to avoid saying I was wrong..... :cool:
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    Address the letter to "You Bastids"
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Mark my words, were he a dukie or kitty, he would be playing now.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    As I understand it, this kid is really, really poor and essentially has no family. So he must have done something really really awful, like take $1600 from someone to buy food for himself. These 6'10" teenagers have truly awful habits when it comes to eating and should be taught to control themselves, that's what the NCAA is for after all, to help athletes. We know he must have done something awful because for taking $1500 you get suspended nine games but he must have done something even worse as he is being held out longer than that. But Billy says that CW has been completely straight with him and we know Billy wouldn't take anyone who was seriously morally depraved. So what the NCAA has accomplished is to damage a young man and prevent the college fans from seeing him play. But because UF admitted him (all praises to UF) he is at least getting to bond with some other kids and getting some preparation for the life he will have in a few months when he is taken in the first round of the NBA draft. If he had been allowed to play if might have gotten him a million or two more but somehow I don't think that matters to a kid who needed money to buy food. Have I got this right? If I have, what's the point?
    • Like Like x 1