Walker Cleared For Saturday?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorchamps0607, Jan 20, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,755
    Wow... we're up to three!

That aside, what a SICK highlight reel!!!

BD better keep reminding CW not to knock himself out banging his head against the rim.

Straight beast.
  2. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    What if the delay in The CW Case is not by The NCAA but by the parties they are investigating. What if the agent has told them to...take a hike. What if the AAU coach has told them to take a hike? What if they said.... "we'll get back to you" and haven't, yet?

I heard various heads of knuckle vilify The NCAA for how long it took them to adjudicate the Reggie Bush deal. Turns out USC, Bush, the USC RB coach, the agent and the Bush family all failed to cooperate. NCAA finally got the goods due to a civil trial deposition.

You know the NCAA has a scale of how many games a player is to miss (as a percentage of total games of the season) based on how much $ or the value of illegal benefits taken. Anyone know that scale? Like.... for under $700 a player must sit 10% (About 3 games) of the season. Under $1,500 it's 25%,....etc....
  3. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    OK, I found this because my computer has this cool google website....

How many games has CW missed since he was admitted to UF in mid December?

• NCAA SCALE

The NCAA uses a sliding scale as one measure to determine punishment in impermissible benefits cases. This is the likely rate for a basketball player determined to have received an impermissible benefit:

BenefitSuspension
      $501-$7003 games
      $701-$1,0006 games
      $1,001 or more9 games
      Recent examples
      Former N.C. State basketball player C.J. Leslie served a three-game suspension in 2011 after he was found to have received $410 in improper benefits – $260 of which went to his half-brother for apartment application fees.

More recently, former UCLA basketball player Shabazz Muhammad last season served a three-game suspension after he was found to have accepted $1,600 in impermissible benefits. According to the NCAA’s sliding scale, Muhammad’s suspension could have been more severe, though he was required to repay the benefits.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/24/3054656/ncaa-compliance-expert-hairstons.html#storylink=cpy

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400

Memphis, Fresno St, Savannah St, Richmond, Cocks, Arky, Dawgs, War Eagle
  5. KAGator67

KAGator67 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Then maybe one more to go???
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Maybe. Maybe not. As Bryan's post indicated, the NCAA only follows its own guidelines when it feels like it.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645

In looking at past cases, it appears as if the NCAA works with cooperative sources/agents/coaches and writes off the rest. Many NCAA decisions, including many declarations of eligibility, have been made simply (and quickly) because of a lack of condemning information or a lack of cooperative sources.
  8. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    All I've gotten from this thread is.

The NCAA is freaking clueless and incompetent.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,010
  10. alietigator

alietigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    This was already reported a couple of days ago. nothing new. Will listen to Billy over any sources. He is still optimistic, so am I.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    closing in on 26 hours and counting...tick tock!!!
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    A rhetorical question.

Say he doesn't get cleared this year. Would he lose a year of eligibility? He is on scholarship and not a red shirt, so I don't know for certain.

Not that I expect him to be a four year player where it would be an issue, but just wondering.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    You can get a redshirt retroactively if you don't play and have one available, I believe.
  14. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +865
    It would technically be a suspension so I'm pretty sure it would count as a year. Or I guess maybe only a half a year since he only came in for the spring. Not sure how his December/Spring enrollment factors into his eligibility, but almost positive that this would count against his eligibility clock.
  15. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Yes, but in the context of a suspension (as opposed to just not playing at all) I'm not sure if a redshirt is allowed...kind of a unique situation. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head in bball or football that was suspended for a year and how it affected their eligibility.
  16. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    Dez Bryant
  17. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Nice, I forgot about that. Not exactly analogous though, cause he went pro after that suspension. We want to know how a possible year long suspension would affect the player's remaining eligibility...we never got to find that out with Dez's situation. Similarly, Enes Kanter...if he returned to Kentucky, would he have been a sophomore, or a redshirt freshman?
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Tough one. The closest I could find was this from wiki about forthcoming academic redshirts, which indicates that it is possible that the NCAA would consider allowing punishment suspensions to count as redshirts:

In 2016, a new status can apply called the academic redshirt. In 2016 the NCAA starts enforcing new, stricter admissions requirements for incoming freshman athletes. Under these new rules, a student-athlete who meets the school's own academic admission requirements, but does not meet the NCAA's new requirements (primarily a 2.3 GPA in 4 years) can enter school as an academic redshirt. This student can receive an athletic scholarship and practice with the team, but may not participate in competition. An academic redshirt does not lose a year of eligibility, but can take a later injury redshirt. Academic redshirts must complete nine credit hours in their first semester and can participate fully in the second year.[1]
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    Seems like if you don't play at all you should qualify for a redshirt, period.

And, I remember Franz talking about how, before Walker enrolled, they didn't want him to enroll before it was certain he'd qualify(?) (or was it certainty he'd be eligible?) because they didn't want to needlessly burn any of his eligibility (again, even though it seemed pretty certain he wouldn't be using up all of his eligibility anyway). I'm a little confused on Franz's point, but I wonder if what Franz was talking about speaks to how certain Donovan was that Walker would be allowed to play this season.
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    So, after an academic redshirt, you're still basically a true freshman - eligibility-speaking.