Walker and Hill Together as Sophomores

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by madgator, Feb 4, 2014.

1. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Yeah....you're probably right......the NBA drafts on what a player can do today or only in the immediate future. They don't project anything.
  2. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Harvey played in the NBA for 4-5 years....and up until last year was still getting paid to play professional basketball in China. The only reason why he left is because his children were in a very serious auto accident.
  3. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Regarding Hill.....the EASIEST skill to improve is perimeter shooting. Hill has a sound release and his form overall is reasonably sound. A few minor issues that I see that can be fixed with and a few hundred hours with 3 basketballs, two ball boys, and spring net will get him to where he needs to be.

As long as the issue doesn't become purely psychological (as it has with Rondo at this point) Hill will be just fine.
  4. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Look at it purely from a mathematical projection standpoint.....if Walker is what the NBA predicts he will earn somewhere in the ballpark of $125-$200 million over a 15 year career (age 20-35). Let's set that number somewhere in the middle at $150 million to be fair.

Over a 15 year career that comes out to $10 million dollars for a year missed in college.

If you take away a year at the beginning of the career, in the aggregate one is essentially taking a prime earning year away.

A player isn't going to go into his career thinking one contract only.....they are in college for the same reason everyone else goes. To prepare for a career. If the draft projection is right, he HAS to go under the current CBA.

Now anyone that is saying that he has to stay in college in order to have another year to "develop" is not thinking clearly on the issue one bit. What that is assuming is that college is the maximum place for a player to develop. Which honestly is completely ludricous on every basis and in every respect. If a player has the ability to earn a spot on an NBA roster today with guaranteed money over a 3-4 year period, he HAS to go.

Look, I would LOVE to have Walker back next year with a full year playing with Hill. But I am also a realist and not going to let my personal opinions overtake simple common sense with only "he is too skinny" as the counter point. If the NBA scouts have you guaranteed as a top 15 pick. You go to the NBA.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    While shooting can be an easy skill to improve upon, some people just aren't very good shooters. There are a few PGs (Rondo, Kidd) who just never really shot the ball well, despite what I am sure was a lot of practice. Hill does have nice form, but this isn't like Beal where he was a great shooter in HS, had great form and then finally got into it at the end of the year. And he isn't taking many 3s, and making very few of them. He has made 5 3-pointers so far this year, which 0.27 3's per game. With Beal, Billy clearly felt he was a good shooter and let him shoot through the slump. There is no reason to believe that Billy wants Hill shooting a lot of 3 point shots, since he really doesn't take many of them. Making 30% of his 3s, which is still not very good, especially from college range, would be a significant improvement.

Michael Frazier, who is admittedly a very good shooter, has made five three pointers in five separate games this year. Hill is also a 65% free throw shooter, which is not very good for a PG, and the combination of terrible 3pt% and poor FT% doesn't reflect well on his ability to shoot. I am sure he can and will get better, but if "better" is 70% FT and 25% 3 pt%, then he isn't going to be 3 pt threat in the NBA. Looking at previous UF guards, Kenny Boynton went from a 29% 3pt shooter as a freshman to a 40% shooter junior, but also shot at a much better clip and was a 75% FT shooter his freshman year. Hill is very athletic, but without an outside shot it will really hurt his offense in the NBA because the more athletic guards playing him can worry more about his driving and let him shoot from deep. I fully agree that Chris Walker should go pro (assuming he enjoys making millions in the NBA more than no money in college), but I do think that Hill might have problems playing in the NBA next year if his shooting doesn't improve. I do believe that players probably develop as well if not better in the NBA compared to college, but Chris Walker will almost assuredly get a chance to develop in the NBA, whereas if Hill has a rough start he could be developing in the D-league, like Archie Goodwin. Millions in the NBA versus college is probably a no-brainer, but spending an extra year in college versus a year in the d-league is not an easy choice. Hill's game is getting much better as the season progresses, and if his shooting improves significantly in the second half of the year, it might be a good idea for him to make the jump.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    In the following NBA Mock Drafts that I checked he is projected as follows: 1) #13 lottery, 2) #30 first round, 3) 2nd round, 4) 2nd round, 5) not listed at all in first two rounds. 2015 Draft is going to be a lot weaker. Chris should work with Billy an extra year and move up to a top five and get the big money.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,573
    Kidd is number 3 all time in 3 pointers made
  8. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Yeah, I had him on my fantasy team when he shot below 30%, but I didn't realize he was decent in other years. He has the second worst shooing % of people in top 25 made all time (Kobe is worse), but I should have picked a better example.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I agree with you on your general point. Monetarily speaking, going as soon as you can be a lottery pick is the most important thing monetarily.

I disagree with you on the sentence quoted. The NBA is better on every basis in every respect IN REGARDS TO BASKETBALL. There are a number of players who would benefit from another year of college form a maturity standpoint, and as such would increase their earning potential. The easiest example of this is Kwame Brown.
    We've all heard the saying more money more problems. Going from a high school kid who doesn't have to work hard to a millionaire playing in the NBA is a difficult transition. Playing a couple years at a university helps you grow up. Now this certainly isn't a reason for every kid to go to school. Dwight Howard was gonna be a star with or without college. That being said, there is a subset of kids where college makes a big difference in the length of their NBA careers. Chris Walker may or may not be one of those kids.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    I think college is a better place in SOME cases than the NBA to develop. If Walker isn't ready for the rigors of professional ball, eventually GMs and Coaches are going to stop caring IF he doesn't produce.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +902
    I think it's like anything else. In the NBA all the time and resources are there at a players disposal. Some guys leave immediately after practice to go home get high and play XBox. They don't put the added effort in during the off-season.

Is that maturity? Of course, but with many guys a poor/lazy attitude never changes.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,262
    If memory serves, Kidd was not much of a shooter when he entered the league, but developed a very good 3-point shot after a few years.

Rose is (or was) doing the same.

Even Magic, who was great whether he ever took a jump shot or not, developed a decent 3-point shot over the years.

Some can, some never do. Hard to predict. I always felt Boynton would never develop his shot much further unless he completely overhauled his shooting form. Great college player, but he definitely needed to become a great jump shooter if he was going to make it to the NBA. IMHO, Hill just needs to develop an adequate jump shot to keep defenses a little bit honest.
  13. KAGator67

KAGator67 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    Dreamin... I'm always dreamin...

Anyone remember that song...Haha
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +902
    I know I (along with all the rest of us) are dreaming on this one......but there is room for optimism. I really believe (or at least desperately hoping) that Walker feels the love that Gator Nation has for him, appreciates and wants the college experience, and loves playing with Kasey enough that he stays staying despite what might be the "right" decision.

I can see it happening.

but again, I also see Jabari Parker sticking around Duke for another season as a very good possibility.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    A one month and done as Dooley said. I'm going to enjoy watching him play, but I can't believe he stays.
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,012
    I was chatting with franz in the chat room on NSD and he said he believe there is a good chance Walker comes back. Didn't have any inside information but he said the draft will be deep and since he is so far behind he may come back to play himself into a better pick.
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    So discussing this for 5 pages has been fun and all, but everyone is just offering their complete guesses on if one, both, or neither of them come back...meanwhile our team this year is in line for a 1 seed and these questions will be answered sometime in April-May...can we just all agree we don't know and table the discussion until then?
  18. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    I agree, it is what it is, and what will happen will happen! enjoy the ride!
  19. Billygator76

Billygator76 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    I would like to believe that the college experience and friendships Chris is now experiencing will make him want to play another year for the Gators. I think he will feel that Coach D is a good friend and father figure and being on campus with most everyone that sees him knowing who he is will make him want to stay. The only decision will be giving up his 'fame and college friends' for the bucks. I can hope.
  20. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    I hope they stay! I read where there were 19 NBA scouts at Walker's debut.