Walker and Hill Together as Sophomores

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by madgator, Feb 4, 2014.

1. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +476
    Did Chandler Parsons have the option of getting paid that kind of money after one year of college?

If he did, would he have left early to make that money and start that fun? Plus.....Chandler is already counting the days to his second contract which will take him from $700k a year to $10 million
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I agree, but with a caveat.

Some guys just like the college experience and don't really need the money.

David Lee, J. Noah, Al Horford are examples.

Patric Young is probably another one.

I think that all of them could have done better with the $'s by leaving earlier, but I don't think that any of them are hurting nor would give back the fun they had at the collegiate level.

It certainly helps if you started out from a family with means, though. That gives you choices.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Calibrate your sarcasm meter. The guy is now several years out after 4 years in college and still on his second round rookie contract.
  4. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +476
    Oh no,

I understood what you meant.....that's why I said that would leave early and be on to contract number #2 by now even if he was only making the $700k a year for the first three years

he'd have had 3 years of a fun life already behind him and on to the big pay days

if he had that option
  5. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +476
    Ok....

I'm done now on this subject....the point is that anyone that thinks that Walker should stay because he is too skinny, can better develop his skills, or needs to improve his draft stock to go in the top 5 has no idea what the heck they are talking about.

IF he stays it will be for one reason and one reason only....that he is enjoying his time at UF and playing with his team mates.

THAT'S IT!
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    I think that will be the biggest factor in him coming back another year. I bet he will enjoy the hell out of the college experience, but the academic part of that experience may not be as cool.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but CW also predicted in his commitment video that he and his boy Kasey Hill were going to win a national championship together here. Who knows if the one we win this year will be enough. Maybe he and Kasey will want to win one as starters too :p
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,527
    Lots of what is being written here is probably more in the line of wishful thinking that anything else. There is always a possibility that Walker could return but I wouldn't put any money on it.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +901
    I may be wrong but I think his initial eligibility issues were a result of poor academic advise/class scheduling than his academic ability.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    I really hope so because I would like to think that another year and he is a definite lottery pick so the money is there. If he loves college basketball and doesn't mind the college coursework then no doubt he stays. Him and Kasey Hill starting together is just too darn good of a story next year and without we will struggle with depth issues.
  10. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Hill stays, be surprised with Walker. Take his family into account and his incredible potiential. I mean we saw last night in seven minutes he altered 2 shots, blocked 2 shots, and put up two alley oops. That is with him still being lost in the offensive and defensive sets. By the end of the year he should be a 3-5 blocks a game guy because he has the natural instinct to contest shots. I doubt a guy his size with his speed, ball handling, and athletic ability makes it out of the first round. You think a contender like Miami or OKC wouldn't like to have him and develop him?
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    "Talent-wise" is all that matters. And, if you haven't been wowed by Hill's passing ability, speed, and ball handling (I still refuse to use that new-fangled term "handle" :cool:), you aren't paying close enough attention IMHO.

As Charles Barkley says, if you're not a superstar, a player needs that one special great skill to find a role in the NBA. I think Hill has that special skill in what I mentioned above, and I don't think it will be lost on NBA talent scouts - if he decided to leave.

I agree with madgator completely on Walker, except that in addition to his level of enjoyment of the UF experience, Walker may also decide that he believes (perceives) that Billy (and playing a major role at UF) can help develop him next year better than spending that year in the NBA where he may not be ready for much playing time (whether that's actually true or not).

I don't pretend to know what any of them will decide, but if I had to bet my house, I'd go with Walker leaving & Hill staying. I certainly hope they both stay Gators as long as possible, but I think both are destined for the NBA regardless of when they decide to go.
  12. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    I think I am paying attention pretty well honestly; im not blind luckily so I have seen the passing ability, speed and handles(im down with that term as well). And that is all great but until he can be a threat to score the ball I can't compare him to the UK guys that we were discussing. I think Hill is a great player, love his game and think it blends in great with this team but as for the nba.... I can't see it this year without an improved jumper. Those UK guards I was comparing him too were all better scorers than Hill is. Now maybe those guys aren't as good of passers or as quick but I think you need to have both or else you end up in the D league with Archie Goodwin.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626

Over the summer there were reports that he would have been eligible with a high enough test score (act/sat or something). Students qualify based on a combination of grades and test score. He may also have been given bad advice, but from the sounds of things he could have qualified in the fall with higher grades or scores.
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    I was saying "you" in the general public sense.

There have been some great PGs who entered the league without much of a jump-shot and did just fine. Most of them end up developing one and I think that would be the assumption (by scouts) for Hill since his form is not godawful or anything. I agree he would need that to be very effective, whereas a bigger PG like Kidd was effective even before he developed that 3-point shot of his. Rondo doesn't have a reliable jumper, but Hill can't do what Rondo does to compensate.
  15. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Think Rondo. That's the type of PG Hill can be if he gets better defensively. A great passer who see's the floor is something a LOT of NBA teams need. But Hill needs to develop more, especially defensively before he goes to the NBA. I think he leaves before his senior year, but not this year. He won't rebound as well though of course.
  16. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    exactly, Hill isnt as tall as Rondo, nor can he rebound like Rondo, nor can he finish at the rim like Rondo, and neither have a good jumper but that wasn't your best choice at a player comparison. At Hill's size, if he can't improve that shot it will be a problem, of course I think it will happen whether it be here or the NBA. I think if he stays for next year(which i expect) we will see a much improved jumper, which will really make him scary. Mix a jumper with that quickness and floor vision... very exciting.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. btro1003

btro1003 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't know if Chris Walker would or should come back but I find it hopeful for his coming back that he put so much effort into getting to UF when he would not have needed to in order to get to the NBA after one year out of high school
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Killer_Rabbits

Killer_Rabbits Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    Poop, I agree with madgator. Mark it down. MARK IT DOWN.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066

I agree, you are not adding much. From what little I saw he needs another year. It's not that he won't or cannot go, he can and may. My opinion is he does not have the body to do anything in the nba currently.
  20. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    The key for Walker is how is he developed on the skills standpoint. His athleticism is off the charts, but he is very raw from the offense end. Donnell Harvey is just as athletic as Chris Walker coming out and he barely played in the NBA. If he wants to have a long NBA career, he needs to come back in his sophomore year. You don't survive in the league on athletic ability alone. I hope he stays, but Billy Donovan will tell him what's best for him.